Messages posted here can also be received as emails: information pre-print options:     

Templot Club Home list recently active topics
  Search  Image Gallery  My Account  Members  Help       

Forums and resources for users of Templot track design software about Templot Club

Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

quick links: files, photos and messages archive on Yahoo
A single message from topic:  Building Yeovil Pen Mill in EM   in forum:  Trackbuilding topics
main Templot web site

Single message by Andrew Barrowman       Topic: Building Yeovil Pen Mill in EM
Posted: 20 Oct 2017 20:14
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank  Go to topic 
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote:  But I would simply add a pull-up resistor at the servo end. What is the sink/source capacity of the driver?

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

You could certainly give that a shot, but if I understand correctly what's going on here, that might actually make the problem worse :(

I'm referring to the cheapest analog servos (SG90 type). When the input goes positive it fires a monostable and that starts a servo positioning cycle. The width of the input pulse provides the desired position information.

There's not too much data available on the chip inside the servo but from what I've seen the input goes straight into the base of a NPN transistor. If the input signal rises to around 0.7 volts, the transistor turns on and triggers the monostable cycle. Rather than increasing the noise margin a pull-up resistor can actually reduce it.

One solution that does seem to help is to elevate the servo's 0 volt rail above the 0 volt rail of the controller. That can be done with a diode, a resistor and a capacitor. The voltage drop through the diode raises the the servo's 0 volt rail by around 0.7 volts and that does add quite a bit of noise margin. Unfortunately it also violates the servo's spec (such as it is), but in practice it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

Oh dear! Maybe we should start a new thread on servos :D

Regards,
Andrew B

A single message from topic:  Building Yeovil Pen Mill in EM   in forum:  Trackbuilding topics
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion live online chat Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes. If you want to re-publish any of this material or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.