Messages posted here can also be received as emails: information pre-print options:     

Templot Club Home list recently active topics
  Search  Image Gallery  My Account  Members  Help       

Forums and resources for users of Templot track design software about Templot Club

Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

quick links: files, photos and messages archive on Yahoo
A single message from topic:  Exactoscale track parts and turnout kits   in forum:  Trackbuilding topics
main Templot web site

Single message by Hayfield       Topic: Exactoscale track parts and turnout kits
Posted: 7 Aug 2018 08:16
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank  Go to topic 
Hayfield
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
DerekStuart wrote: Hi Martin
Thanks for your reply. I've not really been following anything hobby based lately so I maybe have a little catching up to do.

Hi John
I'm not sure what part(s) of the website has been updated as it looks broadly the same as the last CL website. Of course, I have no idea what Phil is trying to achieve.

I don't share your optimism regarding competition. Not in this case anyway. Whilst track parts are in great demand, that demand in the grand scheme of things is quite small, and given that the majority have previously opted for Exactoscale over CL components, I'm not sure where that leaves CL.

I do not mean that as criticism, just an observation. I have to say though that when/ if I return to modelling, I cannot say I would be enthusiastic about dealing with CL at all.

I wish both parties well.
Derek
I have no real axe to grind with either company, I started using C&L and migrated to Exactoscale parts mainly for the availability of the special chairs and the P4 plastic track bases

As far as the special chairs are concerned, all with the exception of the check chairs can be used as are, The P4 slide chairs are a bit small for EM & OO, the check chairs after modification (cutting into two parts) can be used for EM and 00SF without any noticeable visual issues

The P4 track bases can be used for EM turnouts simply by removing the outer pips on the timbers slips and diamonds can be used but do need a slight compression between the Vees, must be room for a sales expansion at no cost !!

C&L do need to make up for the problems with the mail order system over the past few months, the saving of the physical space needed to house the Exactoscale products will make C&L's stock keeping far easier as at a guess it reduces the product range by 3/5ths, should help improve the service level

On its own it will be very difficult to run a business which is solely dependant on track parts sales, something going back over the years which the last 3 owners have found, Freeing up the display stand space of quite a lot of duplications will allow space for new products (both track and non track ). As for C&L track parts not selling, for the past few years I have helped both Peter and Phil at shows local to me, despite my personal preference to Exactoscale products, believe it or not many customers stayed loyal to C&L products. Also being both sides of the counter many customers still have an aversion to buying on line, or wish to view the product range in person before committing to buy. In the past Exactoscale had a very limited presence at shows, will this change ?

As for Exactoscale being adverse to supplying 00 gauge modellers, I think this is misreading Mr Dukes statement, with the exception of the 00 gauge fastrack bases Exactoscale do nothing else specifically for 00 gauge. It would be in my opinion a great loss if these bases became unavailable in the future, as in my opinion its the best available in 00 gauge. I can see that with the arrival of Peco to 00 (gauge and scale) track, crossings and turnouts it would be very difficult to recoup set up costs. However Phil who works full time in the business has just ordered a new 00 gauge track tool

I would expect the longer term future will be with 3D printing, but at the moment we have little choice and its still very expensive. Don't forget we have the sleeping giant of Peco in the background with a small range of both 4 & 7 mm items. 3 years ago many said there was no demand for 4 mm scale 00 gauge track and turnouts, how times change. I expect they are keeping an eye on what's going on

I just wish the best for the future to both companies, I believe that having competition will raise the profile of track building and increase the availability of parts, lets hope this new chapter increases modelling activity in this area. The glass is now over half full, not half empty

A single message from topic:  Exactoscale track parts and turnout kits   in forum:  Trackbuilding topics
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion live online chat Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes. If you want to re-publish any of this material or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.