author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Jun 2007 05:52

Peter Salathiel

Bangkok - Thailand

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello Martin,

It would save me time, printing ink, and paper if there were a way to save my printing preferences both between sessions and during sessions. Via a file would be great. I could then have one set for individual template, another set for groups and yet another for the whole layout. It would certain ly alow me to make betteruse of all the wonderful options, particularly colour, that are in the printing section. Right now, I don't use half of them because once I change them there are too many to remember!

Best Regards

Peter

posted: 29 Jun 2007 17:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Peter Salathiel wrote:
It would save me time, printing ink, and paper if there were a way to save my printing preferences both between sessions and during sessions. Via a file would be great. I could then have one set for individual template, another set for groups and yet another for the whole layout. It would certainly allow me to make better use of all the wonderful options, particularly colour, that are in the printing section. Right now, I don't use half of them because once I change them there are too many to remember!
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your thoughts. You are not the first to ask for this, and other settings to be saved. The problem is that what looks a simple task from the outside is quite a complex one internally. Because it is purely a cosmetic/friendly change (i.e. Templot works perfectly well with the default settings, and they can be changed each time if it's essential) it has tended to get pushed down the list below the need for more track functionality and Help material.

The demand for the grid settings to be saved was so great that I have now included them in the .box file, which is not the best place for them. I need to develop an extensible profiling option for all the hundreds of different settings in Templot, but it's not a 2-minute job. When I originally developed Templot it was purely for my own use, so many of the colours, fonts, etc., were simply hard-coded in as those that suited me. So at present you can change almost everything in Templot, but on start-up it reverts to the default hard-coded settings.

Some time ago I asked group members for a shortlist of settings for a temporary fix, but there was no consensus, everyone had their own most important setting to be saved. Some seemed strange to me -- one member said the most important setting to save was the font used in the info panel. :?

I'm aware that saved settings would please many users, and it is on the list. But not yet at the top, I'm afraid. Other things do still seem more important. There are folks waiting for irregular diamonds, split-deflection switches, more beginner videos, a printable manual, cubic-spline curves, dual monitors, AREA switch fronts, chairing detail, FB foot lines, print to bitmap, etc..... It's a difficult judgment between working on things which can't yet be done at all, and making things which can be done already a bit easier. Comments welcome on how to draw that line.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Jun 2007 20:02

Peter Salathiel

Bangkok - Thailand

Thanks Martin.

I can appreciate your difficulties (but you did ask :) ). I guess I'll just have to institute a "check list" procedure.

Yes, it must be difficult to decide whether additional features or rounding out of exising features should be given priority. I confess that I am continually amazed at how many features there actually are in Templot.  I keep coming across (and very much appreciating) new ones as I improve my Templotting skills by working through your various "lessons". Then of course having discovered them, found them useful, one wants to use them and have them readily available...

For myself I guess I would agree additional feautres would have to take priority but I am very happy to go along with whichever you decide. Templot is truly an incredible program.

Best Regards

Peter

posted: 29 Jun 2007 20:31

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Peter Salathiel wrote:
I can appreciate your difficulties (but you did ask :) ).
Hi Peter,

Yes I did :), and I appreciate your taking the trouble to respond. That's why I created this "I wish it would..." forum, so that I can gauge demand for various features. If dozens of members now join in and say saving the printer settings should be a top priority, I would of course want to move it up the list.

Thanks for your kind words about Templot, I'm glad you are enjoying using it.

regards,

Martin.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020