author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Feb 2010 17:34

Templot User

Posted By Email

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
----- from Neil Berrington -----

I am struggling with Templot a tad. (I'm a biomechanical kind of fellow, so CAD design escapes my limited intellect) The time investment in learning the program is significant.

Is there anyone who is able to produce a Templot file for me? (Lazy bugger that I am.) The tricky area is really the flow of the goods yard - almost tandem turnouts.

I attach the station in question - Corfe Castle, Dorset.

46_131232_230000000.png46_131232_230000000.png

(Click the link in the Image Gallery to see it full-size.)

Neil Berrington
Canada

posted: 13 Feb 2010 18:06

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Neil

Before anyone can offer help, there's two vital bits of info needed.  Firstly, the easy one, which scale/gauge are you modelling in?  The second - there's no scale on the map you posted.  Do you have any known dimension to get a scale from? Platform length? Sizes of buildings?  Working from the two rails shown isn't likely to give good results, although that'll be better than nothing!

Oh yeah, don't confuse Templot with CAD - Martin gets twitchy :D

posted: 13 Feb 2010 19:13

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Here you go.

You will have to sort out the timbering on the turnouts.

Alan
Attachment: attach_737_1046_Corfe_Castle_-_130210.box 390

posted: 13 Feb 2010 20:57

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Dear Neil,

Yes, I can help, contact me off group and we can discuss.

Regards

Raymond@raymondwalley.com
Templot User wrote:
----- from Neil Berrington -----

I am struggling with Templot a tad. (I'm a biomechanical kind of fellow, so CAD design escapes my limited intellect) The time investment in learning the program is significant.

Is there anyone who is able to produce a Templot file for me? (Lazy bugger that I am.) The tricky area is really the flow of the goods yard - almost tandem turnouts.

I attach the station in question - Corfe Castle, Dorset.

46_131232_230000000.png46_131232_230000000.png

(Click the link in the Image Gallery to see it full-size.)

Neil Berrington
Canada

posted: 13 Feb 2010 21:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

No relevance to Neil's request, but it's a chance to post Paul Matthews' delightful film again: :)

It's worth clicking the 480p option to watch in high quality.

Martin.

posted: 13 Feb 2010 21:15

Nigel Brown

Wondering how accurate the plan is; the goods shed seems to be at a funny angle to the associated siding for a start.

Just as a matter of interest, what is the purpose of the turnout beyond the goods shed? I can see it might serve as a means of releasing some wagons from that end of the shed, but only if the siding beyond the shed road is kept clear, which doesn't seem me to be that useful. Any ideas?

posted: 14 Feb 2010 15:50

Dellboy

Aylesford - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, what is the purpose of the turnout beyond the goods shed? I can see it might serve as a means of releasing some wagons from that end of the shed, but only if the siding beyond the shed road is kept clear, which doesn't seem me to be that useful. Any ideas?

It is a track arrangement I have seen before, the only ones I can recall at the moment is Westerham Station ex SE & C Railway and Homfirth Station ex L&Y Railway. Horses were often used for local shunting duties which often explains the unusual track configurations found in some old goods yards, particularly in goods shed/loading areas. Horses have been known to be used to turn engineTurntables as well. Horses were used to haul road wagons as late as1961, I don't know when they were lasted used by the railway companies for yard shunting.

Derek

posted: 14 Feb 2010 17:45

Martin Wynne

Dellboy wrote:
Horses were used to haul road wagons as late as1961, I don't know when they were lasted used by the railway companies for yard shunting.
Hi Derek,

See: topic 1047

which I have posted in a separate topic because of the instant audio (in Firefox). :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Feb 2010 19:44

Dellboy

Aylesford - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Dellboy wrote:
Horses were used to haul road wagons as late as1961, I don't know when they were lasted used by the railway companies for yard shunting.
Hi Derek,

See: topic 1047

which I have posted in a separate topic because of the instant audio. :)

regards,

Martin.

I wouldn't have guessed it was as late as 1967. Thanks for that Martin.

I recognised the horse in the film as being the one on an old image file I have which I have inserted  below.

Derek

1821_141439_220000000.png1821_141439_220000000.png

posted: 14 Feb 2010 21:25

Martin Wynne

Dellboy wrote:
I recognised the horse in the film as being the one on an old image file I have which I have inserted  below.
Hi Derek,

Many thanks for that. We have been here before, see:

topic 161

The matter of interest being the alternate-only chairing on the timbers for the turnout rail of the catch points.

That image is much better quality than the online clip, so it must be taken from the full broadcast quality original.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Feb 2010 00:06

nberrington

Hi Paul

I model in P4.

As far as I can tell, the platform is about 320ft long (about 4 station buildings) - looking at Google earth. When I was there, I neglected to measure the platform. (Which would have been smart I guess)

Although I live across the pond, I have visited Dorset (and Corfe Castle) twice, and it is a really neat piece of restoration. Thanks for the video - made me quite nostalgic to go back.

The only problem with a real place is of course that people can always identify errors easily. I guess not to much chance of that in Winnipeg!

Thanks for all the interest.

Neil

posted: 15 Feb 2010 08:51

Ian Jewell

Nigel Brown wrote:

What is the date of the map?

Whilst it's not an uncommon arrangement all the published information I've seen on Corfe suggests the second road paralleled the goods shed road without any connection, which may be correct for its last days in public service. Altho' it's an OS map (?) I have occasionally seen maps where the surveyor's site notes have not been correctly interpreted by the cartographical draftsman back at the office. Bishop's Castle station is one such.

Ian

posted: 15 Feb 2010 13:20

GeoffS

Mirfield, W. Yorkshire - United Kingdom

Ian Jewell wrote:
Nigel Brown wrote:

What is the date of the map?

Whilst it's not an uncommon arrangement all the published information I've seen on Corfe suggests the second road paralleled the goods shed road without any connection, which may be correct for its last days in public service. Altho' it's an OS map (?) I have occasionally seen maps where the surveyor's site notes have not been correctly interpreted by the cartographical draftsman back at the office. Bishop's Castle station is one such.

Ian
Not that uncommon, no, the L & Y used it in several places. In addition to what I wrote a few minutes ago about measurement of the platforms, if you align Google on the same orientation as the map, the goods shed, as it is now, appears to be aligned differently. Not much, but enough to make it more parallel to the siding alongside/through it and that brings up another point. I've recently been researching Dewsbury Market Place Station and the 1:2500 OS map bears a similarity to photos taken in the same year as the survey, but that's all. Track alignments slightly off, an obvious tandem turnout shown on the map as two separate ones separated by about 20ft and a couple of signal posts marked in the wrong places too, so don't trust the maps if you've an alternative.

posted: 15 Feb 2010 13:34

Martin Wynne

GeoffS wrote:
so don't trust the maps if you've an alternative.
Hi Geoff,

The main thing not to trust on a map is the date. Revision dates usually only indicate significant changes, other details can remain unchanged through several revisions.

It's likely that whatever is shown on the map was correct at one time, but possibly several decades earlier than the date of the map.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Feb 2010 20:26

Paul Boyd

Hi Neil
As far as I can tell, the platform is about 320ft long (about 4 station buildings) - looking at Google earth. When I was there, I neglected to measure the platform. (Which would have been smart I guess)
Google Earth... of course!

Anyway, it's good to have a choice :)  I've attached a box file and shape files all zipped up.  Like Alan's, you'll need to do some timber shoving.  This is a bit rough and ready!

105_151522_380000000.png105_151522_380000000.png

(Click the link in the Image Gallery to see a larger image.)
Attachment: attach_738_1046_Corfe_Castle.zip 731

posted: 15 Feb 2010 20:41

Martin Wynne

Paul, that's brilliant. :thumb:

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2010 13:51

nberrington

Hi Paul

Astounding. That's just amazing. Thank you!

Clearly mastering Templot has advantages, I love the way you superimposed the satellite image. I can almost  see myself sitting in the garden behind the Banks Inn, sipping a pint and matching the M7 move off over the bridge.

P.S - the connecting turnout in the goods yard was removed in the early 20's.

Thank you all for your help.

Regards

Neil

posted: 16 Feb 2010 15:23

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

I'm so impressed with that screenshot that I have copied it into the Image Gallery on RMweb:

Corfe Castle screenshot on RMweb   (click the image on there)

So thanks again for that. :thumb:

I can't help thinking that location might make an ideal video "track plan" tutorial to replace the out-of-date static tutorial. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2010 18:16

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Hi Neal

I work for the Swanage Railway so can photograph/measure anything you have missed. I can also access the museum archive if you have a specific enquiry.

Depending upon your period you need to be aware that both platforms were extended at the down end about four years ago to accommodate five coach trains, and of course the footbridge shown in the film is not original. Passengers crossed on the level. We've had to put it in because of the usual 'elf n safety' stuff. It is planned to put one in at Harmans Cross at some stage.

I'm impressed that Paul Matthews managed to find a dry day last summer!

The plan imposed on a satellite image is brilliant.

Phil

posted: 16 Feb 2010 18:34

Paul Boyd

I'm flattered - thank you all for your kind comments!

I superimposed the satellite image to get the scale - just off the bottom of the screenshot is a 50ft scale marker, so I adjusted the image over the map in Photoshop until I got the best alignment, then used the 50ft mark with a 200mm grid  in Templot to get the scale.

The Templot bit isn't perfect, and subsequently looking at a photo of the left hand end (as in the screenshot) shows that the turnout is probably something more like 1:8 or 1:10 with a distinct S-bend to the other platform line.  Still, it only took a few hours with just the satellite image and map to work from!

posted: 13 Oct 2012 10:02

Paul Severs

KEIGHLEY - United Kingdom

Neil Berrington wrote:
The tricky area is really the flow of the goods yard - almost tandem turnouts.

Sorry this is obviously a long time 'after the event'; I only came across this forum when searching for pics of Corfe Castle station, and Neil's OS plan came up on Google.

Two points to help, if this is not too late:

1 The points leading from the up siding [headshunt] into the goods yard were actually not tandem, but simply three points one after the other, the first leading to the coal siding, the second to the goods shed, and the third to the end loading dock.

2 The arrangement shown on the OS map was an early one, replicated at a number of other LSWR stations, e.g. Padstow, allowing an engine to draw wagons into the goods shed line* and run round, if necessary. It was soon found to be unnecessary, and for most of the station's life, the point was removed, the goods shed road terminated in line with the end of the fence shown on the map, and the coal road incorporated the length of the loco release spur and point. In the 50s and 60s this part of the coal siding was occupied by ex-Pullman camping coaches.

* This arrangment only existed where this type of goods shed, that did not enclose the siding within it, existed; normally locos were not permitted to enter enclosed sheds.

posted: 13 Oct 2012 10:18

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for that. Welcome to Templot Club. :)

By coincidence I have recently used the Corfe Castle map as an example for the image wrapping function, see:

message 13697

In the next Templot update I have added a better straightening function, and will be using the Corfe Castle map in the tutorials.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Oct 2012 10:21

Paul Boyd

Hi Paul
1 The points leading from the up siding [headshunt] into the goods yard were actually not tandem, but simply three points one after the other, the first leading to the coal siding, the second to the goods shed, and the third to the end loading dock.
These three turnouts are so close that they do appear to be tandems on a small scale map, but if you look at the Templot box file you'll see that I have drawn them as three distinct turnouts, albeit very close together.  Of course, a much larger scale map would have been good.

It was drawn to match the undated OS map that Neil provided!

posted: 13 Oct 2012 10:23

Martin Wynne

That's 3 Paul's in this discussion. :)

( topic 2057 )

Any more?

Martin.

posted: 13 Oct 2012 14:24

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

HI Paul
I assume you have a copy of <Branch Line to Swanage> by Vic mitchell and Keith Smith, published by Middleton Press.  That clearly shows the station plan with the three turnouts (in 1928, although this layout continued until about 1940).
regards
Arthur

posted: 13 Oct 2012 14:33

Paul Boyd

Hi Arthur

I do now, but I didn't when I knocked up the Templot plan!

Edit: Actually - scrub that!  I'm sure I had it once though...  I must have worked solely from Neil's plan.  I'm getting it confused with the Swanage layout I did for Neil, for which I referred to a different book.
Last edited on 13 Oct 2012 14:38 by Paul Boyd
posted: 13 Oct 2012 14:41

Paul Boyd

That's 3 Paul's in this discussion
In my A-level Physics class at school many years ago there were something like six or seven Pauls, including the teacher.  I think we outnumbered everyone else put together!

posted: 13 Oct 2012 14:44

Les G

Paul Boyd wrote:
That's 3 Paul's in this discussion
In my A-level Physics class at school many years ago there were something like six or seven Pauls, including the teacher.  I think we outnumbered everyone else put together!

This is starting to look like a Monty Python sketch...:D

Les

posted: 13 Oct 2012 16:55

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

Hello,

I just read through all the msgs in this topic and can offer the original poster some additional mapping to a much larger scale if of interest, viz a BR(S) 40ft/inch plan.

Regards, Rodney Hills
Surrey,UK

posted: 13 Oct 2012 18:30

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Many years ago whilst on nights, I was staffing News VT Transmission, at one point there were 6 members of staff in the area of which there was:

Ian Allen (Tech Op - me)
Ian Atkinson (Producer)
Ian Anderson (Assistant Producer)
Ian Drake (Tech Op)
Ian Drake (VT Editor)

Go figure ! :D

posted: 15 Oct 2012 09:35

Paul Severs

this discussion seems to have moved 'off topic', and it looks as if my name started it!

posted: 15 Oct 2012 20:13

Paul Severs

I will try to look out my 1967 B/W photos of Corfe Castle, which I think includes one of the up siding and its points, looking towards Swanage. If so I will scan and I presume I can post it for you to see. My guess is that the two independently operated were straightish LH B7s, though that leading to the end loading dock may have had two curved roads ['Y-point'], so that the crossing angle may well have been somewhere between 1:5-1:7. This was worked with the up siding point from the small platform ground frame as a crossover.

posted: 15 Oct 2012 20:21

Paul Boyd

Hi Paul

I would be interested to see photos of that area, if only to compare it to my interpretation of the track plan so I can correct it!

Cheers

posted: 17 Oct 2012 11:39

John Walker

Reading - United Kingdom

This is my 2nd attempt to post to this thread. I don't use the forum very often preferring to browse the emails on yahoo.

Hopefully my attempt at Corfe Castle is attached. It is not complete as so far it only forms part of my grand plan for a 3mm layout. My goods yard turnouts are B8s, with B5.5 for the "Y" and a D10 into the loop.
Attachment: attach_1516_1046_New_Compressed_(zipped)_Folder.zip 190

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Help wanted - Corfe Castle
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020