topic: 1063'Mirror' Printing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Mar 2010 15:34

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
One more session and my new baseboards should be complete! Which means I can start laying track.

While the baseboard project has been on-going, I have started bench construction of some of the more complex pint configurations. I am intending to try the 'ballast-as-you-go' technique which means accurate positioning of the point modules while the glue retains its tackiness.

As an assist, I am envisaging printing mirror images of the more critical track patterns onto the ink-jet paper that is used to transfer images onto T-shirts and the like and ironing the templates onto the cork underlay. [Expensive I know, but this will be my last layout and I want to ensure it will be done right. And it will only be on the complex bits!]

First questions then are, obviously, has anyone tried this? And, if so, did it work and was it worth the effort? Did the heat of the transfer process affect the cork underlay?

Secondly, if this is unexplored territory, how can I generate mirror images of the track pattern to print on the transfer paper so that I can play with the idea? Duplicating, mirroring and printing a group would appear to be one way to go, but I'd really like to retain the original x/y marginal co-ordinates (in the correct sense, if you know what I mean) for ease of positioning on the baseboard.

Any advice gratefully received.

Donald F. MacLean

posted: 8 Mar 2010 16:16

Richard Johnson

Perth - Australia

Hi Don

Rather than using heat, I had good success in doing something similar (not with Templot prints though) by printing with an inkjet printer then placing the print face down on the target surface and spraying the paper on the back with plenty of meths from a window cleaner bottle - then rubbing it down a little - the meths transferred the image rather nicely with no heat to worry about.

Richard

posted: 8 Mar 2010 16:42

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Donald MacLean wrote:
Duplicating, mirroring and printing a group would appear to be one way to go, but I'd really like to retain the original x/y marginal co-ordinates (in the correct sense, if you know what I mean) for ease of positioning on the baseboard.
Hi Donald,

Templot doesn't have any functions to print the grid in reverse.

Some printers include mirror or flip functions to reverse an entire page, for use in connection with OHP transparencies.

If your printer doesn't do that, you might try the Snagit program:

http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp

This includes a virtual printer similar to the well-known PDF generators. It includes Mirror and Flip functions, after which the image can be saved in a wide range of formats including PDF for printing via Adobe or Foxit Reader:

2_081139_380000000.png2_081139_380000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Mar 2010 17:11

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

Thank you, gentlemen, for your rapid responses.

I drilled down into the printer layout options on my new printer and, lo and behold, I found a 'print mirror' capability! Never thought that I might find a solution EXTERNAL to the software!

So I am getting there.

Donald

posted: 9 Mar 2010 11:17

David Cooper

Donald

Have you considered using transparent OHP paper and glueing or double sided taping that down ("transparently?") and building the trackwork in situ on he OHP material. I tried it as a test once and it seemed to work well enough. I think I bought the OHP film from:

http://www.photopaperdirect.com/categories/Overhead-Projector-Film/

Good luck

David

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 'Mirror' Printing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020