Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1081My first P4 layout (possible name is Bangour Road)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Mar 2010 22:56

rammstein2609

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

I have had Templot for almost 3 years now but only really took the time to learn how to use it properly back in October. I have to say what a brilliant bit of software it is. I'm addicted to it now. I seem to find myself drawing up all these layout plans which won't ever get built:(

Anyway, I have recently started the switch from OO to P4. I have built track including points before and find that I am now capable of moving it on a little.

The plan which I have attached is not perfect but will more than likely be the finished article. I still need to shove a few timbers.

The layout will be a depot accessed from the mainline via a straight bit of line which passes under a motorway bridge. The motorway bridge will act as the scenic break so I don't have to model the straight line with the junction to the mainline.

To the left where the three roads are will be a large 3 road shed. I will be using two of the Pikestuff sheds for this as I have used these kits before and they are great. I will be adding structural detail inside however. The single road immediately below this shed will be the headshunt to access the fuel point and wagon/coach repair shed.

The single line to the bottom left will be the diesel fuel point. The two single roads to the bottom right will be the double road shed for the repair of wagons and coaches.

The fiddle yard will be a traverser built on ball bearing type drawer runners.

The main operator of the depot will be DRS but other TOC's will appear.

Cheers

martin
Attachment: attach_767_1081_p4testlayout.box 385

posted: 17 Mar 2010 18:59

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I've had a look, and it looks good.  I know you say it's not perfect, but a couple of things I picked up:-

1 - the two templates forming the diesel fuel point would be better off as a single template.  I would use a transition there - assuming the Ctrl-0 end is at the turnout, use a 'transition from straight'

2 - I might be inclined to curve the 3-road shed downwards a bit to remove the "designed with a ruler" look.  Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are loads of diesel shed layouts out there where everything is in a straight line parallel to the edge of the board.  Templot can produce some lovely flowing curves!

3 - you're not going to get bored of building B-7 turnouts, are you? :D

I guess the crossover at the top and the turnout below it will have blocked crossing work.  The period is an era I don't know much about so I can't comment on the prototypical aspects of the plan.

Cheers

posted: 17 Mar 2010 20:40

rammstein2609

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your comments. I printed the plan out last night and stuck it together and agree that it needs some curves.

The right hand B7 to the left at the top will have to be moved to the right a little to accommodate the baseboard join.

I get what you are saying about the fuel point road. I'll have another look at the plan tomorrow.

I'm not sure about how prototypical it is as the depots I have seen have two ends to enter/exit. That's something I am currently researching before the is completely set in stone.

Cheers

Martin

posted: 30 Apr 2010 22:29

rammstein2609

Hi,

I've had a little redesign of the above plan. The layout is designed to use custom shaped baseboards. I am trying something different from the usual two 4x2ft boards. I'm currently working on the final drawings for the baseboards in Autocad.

The same idea applies regarding the two sheds and fuel point mentioned above.

I still have to shove timbers and such but the plan is almost finished.

Cheers

Martin
Attachment: attach_788_1081_p4depot.box 308

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > My first P4 layout (possible name is Bangour Road)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020