author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Jul 2010 09:01

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello

I drop onto this forum quite a lot, and use the "New Posting" icon to quickly find the new postings. But of late this has become very erratic. I visited this forum yesterday and read all of the new posts, On visiting today, I've got the following (on screenshot).

You'll see that it shows there are new messages in Templot Talk, Share and Show, and I Wish it Would. I've already viewed the "new" messages in Share and Show and I Wish it Would some time ago, and the "New Posting" icon has shown for these forums for around a week. Also, there is no "New Posting" icon on the Trackbuilding topics, even though there is as I've not read the posting on Servos for Turnouts.

Richard.
Attachment: attach_816_1157_forum.png 126
Last edited on 1 Jul 2010 09:03 by richard_t
posted: 1 Jul 2010 09:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

richard_t wrote:
I drop onto this forum quite a lot, and use the "New Posting" icon to quickly find the new postings. But of late this has become very erratic.
Hi Richard,

This is a known bug in the forum software. Jim Hale (our hosting provider) has been chasing it for years, and I've also had a go. So far no joy. :(

What happens is that when any topics are deleted, the system loses track of which ones have been read.

I recently had to delete some spam topics*, which is probably the reason for this happening now.

The good news is that the system resets itself when the missing topics fall out of the "Recent Topics" scope. That's currently set for 14 days, so at the end of that time all should be back to normal. Sorry about any inconvenience in the meantime. You may want to set up your "Emailed Messages" so that you get all new postings that way and don't miss any.

Fortunately it is very rarely that topics have to be deleted.

*The system is well protected against spam robots, but there is no way on earth to prevent human spammers from registering as members. However, new members can't post messages until I move them to the Full Member group, and after the recent incident I shall now be much stricter. Anyone registering using a free email address (yahoo, hotmail, googlemail, etc.) which is not in my records as that of a Templot user will not be given posting rights until they email me ( webmaster@templot.com ) and specifically ask for them.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jul 2010 22:01

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Odd really but I don't get this problem on the works computer only on the one at home.

Alan

posted: 2 Jul 2010 07:40

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Martin

Thanks for the explanation.

posted: 2 Jul 2010 08:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Alan Turner wrote:
Odd really but I don't get this problem on the works computer only on the one at home.
Hi Alan,

It's related to the session information stored in the board cookie.

If you go to the login page on each computer and click "Reset the cookie used by this web site", or alternatively click:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/login.php?reset_cookie=1

(you will need to log in again afterwards),

you may find that the problem clears, or it may occur on both computers.  :?

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Forum Software: New Posting icon
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020