topic: 1174New project blank pad?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 21 Jul 2010 20:57

Jerry

Mansfield, Notts - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am a new member and a have only had Templot for less than 2 weeks. Already I have been able to do a (very) rough layout of my proposed P4 layout.
My progress so far has been as a result of reading many of the Club topics and using Templot help.
I should say that reading is one of the things I enjoy most. I was once known as one of the few people who had read the original Factories Acts from cover to cover. ( sad)

I am beginning to understand how the storage box works but I am a long time Windos user and cannot get my head round how to start a new project, with a new name and a blank canvas (pad).

Can anyone enlighten me please. I don't want to destroy my existing work. I understand Martin's concept of working on a copy of a design in memory in a system that preserves everything on disc(k). Much of the software I use everyday works in a similar fashion, but the I cannot convince myself that amending templates within a single file will not cause problems.

I am probably misunderstanding something and am badly in need of some advice.

Thank you,

Jerry

posted: 21 Jul 2010 22:12

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

Jerry,  I  sympathise  with  your  problem:  its  the  blank  sheet  syndrome!  Could  I  suggest,  with  some  diffidence,  having  a  go  at 

http://85a.co.uk/getting_started_with_templot_allan_ferguson/ 

which  I  made  up  a  while  ago  for  just  your  situation.  But  also  download  and  print  out,  from  the  help  menu  in  Templot,  the  shortcut  keys  list  and  the  F  key  shortcuts, and  keep  them  by  you.

If  you  work  through  the  sequence  it'll  take  you  much  less  than  an  evening.  It  doesn't  tell  you  all  about  Templot  (because  I  know  little  about  it!)  but  it  should  get  you  over  the  initial  hump.  And  as  always,  don't  be  afraid  to  try  things;  at  least  you're  not  wasting  metal,  or  even  paper.

Best  Wishes

Allan

posted: 21 Jul 2010 22:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jerry wrote:
Can anyone enlighten me please. I don't want to destroy my existing work.
Hi Jerry,

Welcome to Templot Club.

Templot never over-writes your existing work unless you specifically request it to do so.

When you click save all templates Templot creates a new unique file name. So you can then happily click Save without fear of destroying any previous work.

Of course, you can change the file name if you wish, or intentionally select a previous file to be over-written.

I cannot get my head round how to start a new project, with a new name and a blank canvas (pad).
If you answer "no thanks" to restoring the previous session when you start Templot, you can start a new blank project immediately.

If you are in mid-session, after saving your previous work, click clear all templates or press CTRL+DELETE to start a new blank project. This empties the storage box and clears all background templates from the pad. It has no effect on the control template* (which represents the current output from the generator).

To give your project a new name (optional but recommended), go to the storage box and click the edit > box title menu item on there. You can't change a project name just by changing the file name when saving.

The new project name (or part of it) will be included in the file name when you next save a file.

If you want to re-use the settings for gauge/scale, timbering styles, etc., from a previous project, reload the .box data file, click on a suitable template, click copy to the control* on the menu which appears on the left, and then clear all templates as above. Do this before changing the project name, otherwise loading the file will have changed the name back.

If you are designing a new project for the same baseboards or railway room as before, you can reload the relevant .bgs background shapes file with these details. Loading and saving background shapes is entirely independent of the track data files.

When you get more experienced with Templot you may want to store and save some of your templates as library templates. This makes it a bit easier to re-use them in later projects, including multiple designs of custom switches, plain track spacings, and so on. 

*copy to current in version 0.74.b (same function, just a different name).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jul 2010 07:52

Jerry

Mansfield, Notts - United Kingdom

Thank you both Alan and Martin,

I had already worked through Alan's 'Getting Started' mini-tutorial on my first day, several times, that's possibly the reason I made the conceptual leap into the working of this briliant system.
Just a comment on Alan's comments about trying things.
I am not an IT pro or computer expert, just a mere chemist, but I get asked for a lot of help from colleagues and friends, and even relations (fairly simple things). I have been playing with computers too long, going back to the English Electric Leo.
There seems to be a general fear of breaking things. My advice always is exactly Alan's, quick outline of method then advice to 'have a go', see what happens. My schoolmasters used to call it learning by doing.
Between the two of you you have clarified the process.

I had realised from various postings and help topics that Martin has consistently insisted that Templot never overwrites. That was not my fear, but rather my habit, ingrained over nearly 50 years of trying to economise on memory and disk space. I find it difficult to make myself keep archived versions of anything.
I had already explored library templates.
My problem not Templot's!
I had been deleting older templates in the storage box but now I see that's not necessary.

Thank you both for your prompt response.

Jerry Wray

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > New project blank pad?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020