topic: 1176interlaced sleepers on a 3-way turnout
author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Jul 2010 11:40

Mike Waldron

Tewkesbury - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Has anyone produced a 3 way turnout with interlaced sleepers? Apparently they were fashionable in the early days of the LB&SCR.

Would value any help possible

Mike
Last edited on 24 Jul 2010 11:53 by Mike Waldron
posted: 26 Jul 2010 10:23

Mike Waldron

I have just been running the 3 way Tandem  turnout video - which is great - but I have not quite worked out how to get to the starting point - namely to being with both turnouts stripped of their central timbers.

Added to which, I am working with interlaced sleepers instead of some of the timbers - LBSCR pre 1900 practise.

I suspect that the timbers left out are the ones I will be interlacing - from the rear of the switches to the 4 timbers that the crossing and check rails are set on.

It's just getting to that stage I'm not sure of.

The rest I can work out from the video.

Mike Waldron.

posted: 26 Jul 2010 11:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Mike,

There are some notes about that video at:

topic 707 - message 4150

and John Preston has uploaded some tutorial files in the same topic.

I have not quite worked out how to get to the starting point - namely to being with both turnouts stripped of their central timbers.
The missing timbers have been omitted using the real > shove timbers functions.

Tandem turnouts are quite involved and the tandem video is intended for Templot users with some experience. If you haven't yet used the shove timbers functions I would recommend a bit more practice with the basics of Templot before attempting a tandem turnout. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jul 2010 11:25

Mike Waldron

Thanks for that Martin.
have produced quite a lot of interlaced B6, B7 and C8 turnouts now, so feel that it would not be beyond my wits to do one. my problem is what happened to the sleepers on the two turnouts on the video? Were they deleted, omitted, or just hidden? and how is that done?

Mike

posted: 26 Jul 2010 13:03

Martin Wynne

Mike Waldron wrote: 
my problem is what happened to the sleepers on the two turnouts on the video? Were they deleted, omitted, or just hidden? and how is that done?
Hi Mike,

Click the real > shove timbers menu item.

Then:

2_260753_380000000.png2_260753_380000000.png

1. click the timber number (not the timber itself).

2. click the omit timber button, or press letter O on the keyboard (i.e. the underlined accelerator key shown on the button). Using the keyboard is very much quicker than clicking the button with the mouse -- likewise for the other buttons on this dialog.

3. some detailed notes about timber shoving are on the ?help button. It's a good idea to make that your first port of call everywhere in Templot. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jul 2010 13:28

Martin Wynne

Mike Waldron wrote:
Many thanks for that Martin.

Is it possible to group select the whole 3-way turnout and change the curving? I've not managed to do it as yet.
Hi Mike,

Sorry, that's not possible. There are just too many variables involved to curve multiple partial templates in one go as a group.

So before creating complex formations it's important to finalise the track alignments. At the design stage you simply overlay the two base turnouts and leave it at that. When the track plan is finalised you can come back to it and create the full partial templates for the V-crossings and do the timber shoving. The same principle applies to slips -- leave adding the slip roads until the diamond-crossing alignments are finalised. This can save a lot of wasted work when you inevitably want to change something later.

I've tried to edit the file and as it's in EM - can it be group selected and changed to P4?
Well yes it can be, but as there is a change of gauge:scale ratio you will almost certainly find the alignments of the partial templates disrupted. I would strongly recommend starting from scratch in the final scale/gauge you want and on the final curved alignment.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jul 2010 17:19

Mike Waldron

Thanks for those bits of advice Martin.

I'll give them a try.
Mike

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > interlaced sleepers on a 3-way turnout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020