topic: 122GWR Chairs
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Aug 2007 06:20

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am nearing the stage where construction on my version of Hemyock is getting closer.  From what I gather the GWR used a 2-bolt chair for holding the rails.  What types of chairs will I require for construction of points and crossings (turnouts).  I will be a Telford and wnat to pick up some supplies when I am there

Thanks for your help

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario

posted: 8 Aug 2007 13:19

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Bruce

It sounds like you need to buy the GW Study Group's "bible" - the snappily named "GWR SWITCH AND CROSSING PRACTICE - A Design Guide of 4mm Modellers" (the 4mm bit is a red herring - the book applies to any scale).  I can guarantee that if you buy this book, you will suddenly find all sorts of things "wrong" with any templates you've already done :)

C&L do a good range of chairs, and in 4mm scale have just announced brass crossing nose chairs.  Browsing through Brian's website is worthwhile.  Exactoscale sell check rail chairs which are very useful.  Both companies sell appropriate slide chairs, and Exactoscale sell bridge chairs.  Anything else can be cobbled together from bits of other chairs.

Hope this helps!

posted: 8 Aug 2007 13:43

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

Hi Bruce,

This reply assumes that you are working in 4mm in one of the accepted gauges.

Bruce Wilson wrote:
I am nearing the stage where construction on my version of Hemyock is getting closer.  From what I gather the GWR used a 2-bolt chair for holding the rails.  What types of chairs will I require for construction of points and crossings (turnouts).  I will be a Telford and wnat to pick up some supplies when I am there

You are little limited in choices for chairs, but C&L just announced a new product via B.Lewis on E4UM.

Product ID: 4NCB GWR Nose Crossing - 5 sets. £4.50

For years we have supplied this item in 7mm and it seems logical that we
offer it in 4mm as well.
Each pack contains 5 handed pairs, i.e. sufficient for 5 turnouts and
like all C+L Products, is immediately available from stock.

Naturally there will be ample stocks at Railwells.

This is more correctly described on their site at

http://www.finescale.org.uk

4mm components are described at

http://www.finescale.org.uk/show_page.php?pid=104#a

the new chairs are described as

4mm GWR Crossing Nose Chair, brass - 5 sets

sadly no picture

Other parts of interest are

4CH102B 4 mm chairs, 2-bolt pattern - 500

Exactoscale/P4TrackCo also have a range of chairs, but their website seems rather primitive - to order you need to call which is a hit or miss thing from N America - C&L have a secure online ordering system that I have used. Details of the Exactoscale stuff is at

http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/4mmtrack.html

Exactoscale have some rather nice ABS fishplates that can be used to insulate gaps, and look the part. I use a combination of both company's parts.

C&L do kits of parts for turnouts that will work, if you have not built track before their turnout in a bag product is a good place to start (you might ask if this can be supplied with 2 bolt chairs). They also supply planed switch rails and preassembled crossings. The latter might be of less use if you are using templot to make curved turnouts. The C&L parts are appropriate for OO, OO-SF, EM or P4.

The P4TrackCo/Exactoscale point kits have two limitations that you may or may not care about. They are limited to P4 (obviously if you are working in P4 this is not a limitation, but you are out of luck if you are not) and they are a fair representation of LNER track, which is not GWR track. They are designed for use with the supplied templates. They do sell a starter kit at exhibitions that has a point kit and a few yards of track panels.

Flextrack uses 3 bolt chairs. The chairing issue is a horses for courses thing. It really depends on how accurate you want your track to be. The flextrack that C&L sell for OO or EM or P4 looks great, but it's 3 bolt chaired. I confess for my GW layout I took the expedient view that I did not want to make up track panels and used flextrack. Flextrack might be an interesting proposition on an airplane nowadays. Until Heathrow completely lost the plot earlier this year over their security arrangements you could hand carry a box of 1 meter lengths on transatlantic flights Now I suspect that if you buy some you'll need to cut it to 50cm lengths and place it in your hold baggage. The alternative is to buy lengths of bullhead rail and track bases separately.

C&Ls site say they are at Telford. Exactoscale appear not to be there.

I hope this is of use to you. You can hack chairs about to get bridge chairs and other specialized stuff. Both systems need ABS solvent to bond the chairs to you chosen sleeper medium.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Nick

posted: 8 Aug 2007 15:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
It sounds like you need to buy the GW Study Group's "bible" - the snappily named "GWR SWITCH AND CROSSING PRACTICE - A Design Guide for 4mm Modellers" (the 4mm bit is a red herring - the book applies to any scale).  I can guarantee that if you buy this book, you will suddenly find all sorts of things "wrong" with any templates you've already done :)
This book is essential reading for anyone modelling GWR or BR(W) bullhead track.

GWR_Track_200px.jpgGWR_Track_200px.jpg

Ordering information is at GWR track book.

Even if you don't model the GWR, there is a lot of useful background information in the book for bullhead track generally.

Here are some of pictures of a BR(W) switch and crossing:

gwr1.jpggwr1.jpg

gwr2.jpggwr2.jpg

gwr3.jpggwr3.jpg

gwr4.jpggwr4.jpg

gwr5.jpggwr5.jpg

These pictures show the joggled switch detail. The new product from C&L is I believe the "slab and bracket" design of A chair (under the V-crossing nose) in the bottom picture.

Interesting points to note are the characteristic semi-circular inside ends on the slide chairs and check rail chairs (in contrast to the radiused square corners on the other chairs). Chair drawings showing these details are on page 98 of the above book.

Notice also that the check rails are one timber position out compared to the standard drawings -- the final check chair is normally in line with the end of the wing rail (diagram on page 36 of the book).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Aug 2007 16:16

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I cut and pasted the title from the GW Study Group website :):)  I spotted your subtle correction!

posted: 8 Aug 2007 16:46

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
I spotted your subtle correction!
Hi Paul,

I thought you would!

I'm never too sure about correcting errors in quoted text. I usually do, on the basis that the original sender would probably prefer not to have an error repeated. But it is being a bit of a clever-clogs, isn't it? :)

However, I always capitalize Templot -- and change "point" to "turnout", on principle! :) :)

Martin.

posted: 8 Aug 2007 19:12

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Thanks to all for the replies.  I am working in S7.  And I do have the GWR book which was sitting on my book shelf staring me in the face while I composed and sent my message! 8{(} 

Thanks for posting the photos.  There are of great assistance.

I have contacted Brian Lewis.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontairo

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020