topic: 1229Movable elbows/diamonds
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Sep 2010 16:39

TonyHagon

Near Wick, Caithness - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I can't see this option in 0.91 but for my GW main line project I need to replace fixed diamond crossings with the movable elbows that were installed by the GWR on fast main lines. I believe that these were only installed when the angle of the crossing was less than 1 in 8. I may be wrong. However, my crossings vary from 1:5 to 1:9 and scream for movable switches..

Best regards

Tony Hagon

posted: 3 Sep 2010 16:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

TonyHagon wrote:
I can't see this option in 0.91 but for my GW main line project I need to replace fixed diamond crossings with the movable elbows that were installed by the GWR on fast main lines. I believe that these were only installed when the angle of the crossing was less than 1 in 8. I may be wrong. However, my crossings vary from 1:5 to 1:9 and scream for movable switches.
Hi Tony,

See: real > K-crossing options > menu options.

On the automatic setting (default) Templot changes the K-crossings from fixed to movable (switch-diamonds) when the crossing angle is flatter than 1:8 RAM.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Sep 2010 23:21

TonyHagon

Oops.. my mistake, Martin.. thanks.. I guess I am still a beginner on Templot and haven't explored all the menu options yet..
Regards
Tony

posted: 3 Sep 2010 23:36

TonyHagon

Just a quick note.. did the prototype permit movable elbows with slips?
Regards
Tony

posted: 4 Sep 2010 00:25

Martin Wynne

TonyHagon wrote:
Just a quick note.. did the prototype permit movable elbows with slips?
Hi Tony,

Here is an excellent picture from Mick Nicholson showing a flat-bottom double-slip with movable K-crossings:

fb_movablek_dslip.jpgfb_movablek_dslip.jpg
© thanks to Mick Nicholson

If you search on here for "switch diamond" you will find several discussions, see for example:

topic 288

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Sep 2010 12:51

TonyHagon

Martin Wynne wrote:
Here is an excellent picture from Mick Nicholson showing a flat-bottom double-slip with movable K-crossings:
A truly excellent photo, Martin, many thanks.. complete with point heaters! Now, all I have to do is build a pair of them in P4..

Regards

Tony

posted: 4 Sep 2010 17:56

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

The current copy of "Great Western Railway Journal" (No.75)Pages 150-1 has a couple of pictures of the Southcote Junction Pumping station, near Reading. These include incidentally quite close up the switched diamond at this junction. Two things:

There seem to be about 8 operating rods for the crossing itself - presumably something to do with detection and locking? and

There are short lengths of rail which seem to stop the movable switches from moving too far.

John

posted: 5 Sep 2010 02:20

Martin Wynne

TonyHagon wrote:
A truly excellent photo, Martin, many thanks.. complete with point heaters!
Hi Tony,

Thanks are due to Mick Nicholson, not me. However, there are no point-heaters in the picture. I think you are referring to the clamp-lock hydraulic switch drives:

clamp_lock_dwg.pngclamp_lock_dwg.png

More pictures and detail close-ups of the clamp-lock mechanism:

topic 644

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Movable elbows/diamonds
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020