author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Aug 2007 18:13

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello all

I have a question that is, I want to build an entrance to a yard with a rather sharp entry to it and am planning on building a 3-way to save space and minimize the radius squeeze.. I know these are not technical terms but is it a 3 way or mor like 2 curved points very close together?

I have taken the largest radius as the longest road and the middle as the next and the inside as the shortest is this the best way to achive this I will try uploading a pic later from home..

Regards
Tom

posted: 9 Aug 2007 18:30

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Tom

Any tandem turnout is basically two (or more) turnouts very close together - so close that they overlap.  If you think of them as two turnouts rather than a big, complicated formation they become very easy to draw and build.

It sounds like both turnout roads are diverging from the same side - is that the case?  If so, you will need to be careful with minimum radii and watch where the K-crossings go.

Cheers

posted: 9 Aug 2007 19:18

its_all_downhill

Hi Paul

Thanks for the quick reply. Well that makes life easier, as I thought that it was going to be really difficult. Yes all the roads are on the same side, and I have a minimum radius of 330mm then the others radiating you from there. This is Z scale by the way :) so things are a bit cramped.

slightly off topic, I have learn.'t more from the video tutorials than the last year of effort. Martin keep them coming :D

Regards
Tom

posted: 12 Aug 2007 03:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

its_all_downhill wrote:
I have a question that is, I want to build an entrance to a yard with a rather sharp entry to it and am planning on building a 3-way to save space and minimize the radius squeeze.. I know these are not technical terms but is it a 3 way or more like 2 curved turnouts very close together?
Hi Tom,

There are two types of 3-way turnouts.

3-throw turnouts have all the point blades in the same place, overlapping side by side. They are tricky to build, especially single-sided on a sharp curve. Not very common on the prototype and never in running lines -- only in yards and sidings. More common in the pre-grouping period than later.

Tandem turnouts have two separate sets of point blades. The second set follow on just beyond the end of the first set. Tandem turnouts are quite common on the prototype and not too difficult to build. They can be curved or straight, and single-sided (both same hand) or double-sided  (opposite hands) from the main road. Single-sided tandems tend to be quite long. All 3-way turnouts always require one extra V-crossing. Here are a couple of screenshots of tandem turnouts:

rene_tandem5.gifrene_tandem5.gif

3_way_tandem_em.png3_way_tandem_em.png

There is a Templot video showing the basics of creating a tandem turnout -- click 3-way tandem video

Your single-sided curved tandem sounds similar to this one:

http://www.templot.com/dummy/rene_tandem.htm

Why not post another message with a Templot screenshot or your .box file attached? It's much easier to answer your question in greater detail if we can see it. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Aug 2007 14:58

its_all_downhill

Hi Martin

Due to computer woes I managed to lose my templates, also the back on my external drive :( I am in the process of considering a .Mac account so I can store files completly of my computer. I dont have a lot of data but as this has been the 2nd major crashes in as many years I really need something more robust.

Anyway back to the plan, the first diagram of the curved tandem is just what I was trying to achieve. And having watched the videos have leap forward with my understanding of Templot. I am in th process of rebuilding so will post something when I get a bit nearer.

Regards
Tom

posted: 13 Aug 2007 20:02

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

Sorry to hear of your drive woes.

Apple recently upped the limit on .mac to 10GB so it's an even better deal.

I am an Apple employee (just to clarify), but I work in hardware engineering, not marketing :)

posted: 13 Aug 2007 23:17

its_all_downhill

Hi Rextanka

Up until now I haven't thought of .mac being particularly a good deal, but I think the price has come down and now have a test of it :) so a great place to store my box files.

Just waiting to afford a MBP then life will be bliss. I better no wander off topic remembering my first SE and then SE30, ah those were the days..

Regards
Tom (ex applecentre employee :cool: )

posted: 13 Aug 2007 23:32

Martin Wynne

its_all_downhill wrote:
Up until now I haven't thought of .mac being particularly a good deal, but I think the price has come down and now have a test of it :) so a great place to store my box files.
Hi Tom,

If it's only .box files you want to store, don't forget Yahoo Briefcase. If you have a Yahoo ID you have 30MB of free space to store any files. You can make them private or shareable:

http://uk.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc//home

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2007 20:42

Templot User

Posted By Email

----- from Trevor Shaw -----

Tom,

For your computer woes I can recommend you get an external USB hard drive - very inexpensive now, something like £60 for a 250Mb drive and Norton Ghost which backs up your PC hard drive daily. I have it and I've used the back-up several times with no problem. My son also got himself out of a virus that it appeared no available software could sort by doing a total restore from Norton Ghost. I wouldn't dare try it as an experiment but he was desperate because he looked like losing irreplaceable photos of my two grandsons.

I was pleased as maybe, not least because he is a high-flying electronics technician and I'm a mere outdated, retired chemist. But I read the instructions; he usually doesn't.

Trevor Shaw

its_all_downhill wrote:
Due to computer woes I managed to lose my templates, also the back on my external drive :( I am in the process of considering a .Mac account so I can store files completly of my computer. I dont have a lot of data but as this has been the 2nd major crashes in as many years I really need something more robust. Tom

posted: 3 Sep 2007 01:19

its_all_downhill

Well after some messing around with and getting back into Templot, I have got my Z scale testplan box file. As you will see this is a very limited plan and just about fits into 2foot sq, though I may increase this a little, depending how tight things are in real life. But it really is just a test bed for trying out my track building abilities.

I wanted to have the single sided curvered tandem on the plan at the station switch location. I have tried following the online tutorial and adapting it to try and make my tandem but I never manage to get past aligning the two templates and snaking through peg. Its adding the 3rd k crossing bit I am stumbling on. I will try and post my efforts.

Any comments/views/advice greatfully accepted.

Regards
Tom
Attachment: attach_53_green_riverMK1_3.box 264

posted: 5 Sep 2007 10:20

Martin Wynne

its_all_downhill wrote:
I wanted to have the single sided curvered tandem on the plan at the station switch location. I have tried following the online tutorial and adapting it to try and make my tandem but I never manage to get past aligning the two templates and snaking through peg. Its adding the 3rd V-crossing bit I am stumbling on.
Hi Tom,

Thanks for attaching your file.

Sorry, it's not clear where a third road from that turnout would run? Can you overlay a bit of plain track showing what you want and attach the file? Or a marked up screenshot?

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Curved 3-way turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020