author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Sep 2010 21:33

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello

I've attached a copy of what I hope to start building this year. It's based on platforms 1, 2 and 3 of Manchester Central (mirrored) and the general idea is that if the terminus was always smaller, so perhaps it wouldn't have shut, and survived through to the 1980's. I'll have to dispense with the big overall roof, although I'll have platform caponies (similar to those that were at the end of the platforms of the real thing), the station building will be a two storey brick affair, rather than the temporary wooden buildings, and finally a simple signal box rather than the one that spanned the tracks.

Services are multiple units to Chester (Northgate) and Liverpool (Lime Street), with a "clubman" like morning and evening service of loco hauled + stock to Liverpool. I'll probably invent a reason for parcel/newspaper trains at some point as well (probably a feeder into Chester, and then onto south wales). I'll ignore the fact that Central was completely relayed with flat-bottom turnouts and the curves eased, as I've been unable to obtain these plans.

The main part of the layout will fit in the garage, with the fiddle yards out in the garden. I'll not post the fiddle yards yet, as I'm not really happy with them - they need to slew past three water butts, and one line can "tunnel" through some camellia foliage.

The plan attached is from an overlay supplied by GMCRO, but the terms of use don't allow me to post it. Interestingly the tandems at the end of the platforms don't allow for large locomotives to run round (I've allowed space for a class 25), and the 3 lines are to standard rail centres. I've based my checkrails on a min of 8 chains, as 10 chains meant check rails everywhere - which looking at pictures of Manchester Central was pretty much the case (although pictures of lower numbered platforms are hard to come by, esp. in bullhead times.) I'm not overly happy with the timbering in the areas where the formation is complex, so any advice for these would be appreciated.

I’ve also attached a picture of the layout.

Any comments are more than welcome.

PS: Does anyone have any drawings of hydraulic buffers (and associated works), similar to http://glostransporthistory.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/images/Lancaster_buffer%20stops.jpg?
499_091629_310000000.png499_091629_310000000.png

Attachment: attach_865_1239_manchester_windmill__10_09_09_1615_51.box 359

posted: 22 Sep 2010 13:47

richard_t

Hello

Ho-hum might be talking to myself here but ...

A newer version of my Manchester Windmill Street. As someone kindly pointed out the facing turnout on the up main to the turntable road was a bit silly. It came about due to the mirroring of the orignal plan, where the down "B" route of the real Manchester Central became the up main of Manchester Windmill Street (and me not noticing it). There are (at least) two solutions, the first (and better), would be a trailing connection and a headshunt, but I physically don't have room for this. So I've had to go with an alternative which is to combine the trailing crossover with access, via a new slip. Movements from the "A" road to the ex-turntable road will royally "bung up the works!".

Templot plan attached.
Attachment: attach_885_1239_manchester_windmill_street_v2.box 353

posted: 22 Sep 2010 15:15

Nigel Brown

Hi Richard

Don't know what others think, but I'm not sure that the facing turnout is that daft i.e. in cramped situations within station limits more or less anything might go.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 23 Sep 2010 15:02

richard_t

Hello

The other suggestion was that the approach was rationalised by British Rail(ways) at some point, removing the slip, and replacing with a single lead junction. I can’t accept that, as I suspect if that did happen then the rest of the layout would be swept away for something a lot simpler!

I think I’ll stick with the slip, as it fits in with the rest of the layout. The fiction will be that the “A” road locomotive release was only used by tank engines to run around their trains and hence that’s why the lengths around tandem release are small. Tender locomotives would stay at the end of the platforms until released by the outward working, and then make their way to the turntable road.

Onwards and upwards!

Last edited on 23 Sep 2010 15:02 by richard_t
posted: 29 Sep 2010 15:52

richard_t

I'm reworking the layout slightly so that the stock doesn't whack each other on the curves. Either my plans are wrong, or they didn't worry about this sort of thing on the real thing. My plans can't be far off, as the overall roof as shown on the scans measure out with the dimensions known to me.

Anyhow, first off is the fiddle yard. It's not a great design, and there are a number of constraints. It runs out of the garage side door (on the right hand side of this plan), and then needs to S around 3 water butts, then it has 4.6m before it runs into a Camilla bush (on the lhs of this plan). I can run a line through the Camilla bush out to the rest of the garden, but that’s something for the future. The back line is just that, and the front line will be a cassette system. The fiddle yard needs to handle DMU units from 857mm to 1880mm. Locomotive hauled stock is limited to around 2380mm.

I really would like better ideas on the fiddle yard – this is the best I’m come up with so far.

Attachment: attach_891_1239_mws_fiddle_yard.box 345
Last edited on 29 Sep 2010 15:55 by richard_t
posted: 7 Oct 2010 13:30

richard_t

Hello all

Last? version - I've increased the track spacing so that the vehicles don't hit each other on the curves. (Using the maths laid out in the Scalefour digests) The three areas concerned are the fiddle yard (all), the approach to the layout, and the spacing of the "A" road and Platform 3.

Onto working out the timetable (based on the real thing), and the signalling.

BTW: Using the method Martin showed for creating a basic signalling diagram, this is what I have so far.

499_070834_200000000.png499_070834_200000000.png

Attachment: attach_911_1239_manchester_windmill.box 385
Last edited on 7 Oct 2010 13:34 by richard_t
posted: 7 Oct 2010 13:31

richard_t

And the fiddle yard.
Attachment: attach_912_1239_mws_fiddle_yard_v2.box 311

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Manchester Windmill Street
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020