topic: 126First post totally new
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Aug 2007 16:16

Richard Morton

Warminster - Ontario Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Ok first off I would like to thank you guys for making what looks like a first rate peice of software, but I have yet to actually try it :( so I'll ask some questions. Now pls if I'm in the wrong area pls move me and let me know. :D   Alrigjht to start off I model mainly in HO seeing I'm in Canada, I good with Corel Draw and Photoshop and some others but have never really gotten into a cad based application. What is the learning curve like with Templot.  Now as we chat and you fine ppl share I know I'll have other even more basic or totally stuid questions so pls bear with me.

Thanks in Advance
Richard

posted: 12 Aug 2007 19:15

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Richard

Firstly it isn't "us guys" - it's one man, Martin Wynne :)

Secondly, Templot isn't CAD, except in the most literal sense of the phrase.  This is one area that newcomers to Templot, including myself years ago, often have problems with.  If you've never used a CAD-based application then you have an advantage as you won't be trying to work Templot as if it's CAD!

It does have a steep learning curve.  I'm one of those people that buys software and dives straight in.  You can't do that with Templot, and I found that by working through the tutorials repeatedly it suddenly clicked.  Once it's clicked, it's actually very easy to use, and the more you use it the more features you find.  There's still a few I'm vaguely aware of but have never used!

You don't need to worry about asking questions here.  We're a friendly bunch, and as a rule we don't bite :)

posted: 13 Aug 2007 09:05

Richard Morton

Warminster - Ontario Canada

Thank you Paul and yes for sure Martin,  After looking over the tutorials for download I'm very impressed with the level of attention he has applied to Templot.  I've been playing with the idea of comming back to the hobby and I think I'm going to fair alot better using this application than my old school methods of a beam compass and yard sticks lol. 

There's just one thing or two that is catching me off guard though and it's mainly because well I'm in Canada and alot of the people around here seem to be from Europe. It's the "P4" referance and the 4mm and such scaling. Me I'm used to the simple "S", "O", "TT", "HO", "OO" "N" and "Z" scale referances.  I know I really dated myself with the "TT" scale referance but if someone  could be so kind as to fill in this out of touch Canuck :)

Regards
Richard

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Richard

Firstly it isn't "us guys" - it's one man, Martin Wynne :)

Secondly, Templot isn't CAD, except in the most literal sense of the phrase.  This is one area that newcomers to Templot, including myself years ago, often have problems with.  If you've never used a CAD-based application then you have an advantage as you won't be trying to work Templot as if it's CAD!

It does have a steep learning curve.  I'm one of those people that buys software and dives straight in.  You can't do that with Templot, and I found that by working through the tutorials repeatedly it suddenly clicked.  Once it's clicked, it's actually very easy to use, and the more you use it the more features you find.  There's still a few I'm vaguely aware of but have never used!

You don't need to worry about asking questions here.  We're a friendly bunch, and as a rule we don't bite :)

posted: 13 Aug 2007 16:27

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

Richard Morton wrote:
There's just one thing or two that is catching me off guard though and it's mainly because well I'm in Canada and alot of the people around here seem to be from Europe. It's the "P4" referance and the 4mm and such scaling. Me I'm used to the simple "S", "O", "TT", "HO", "OO" "N" and "Z" scale referances.  I know I really dated myself with the "TT" scale referance but if someone  could be so kind as to fill in this out of touch Canuck :)
Richard,

Yes, British 4-milly is a battle-scarred minefield :)

For starters try: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/00_gauge and its hyperlinks.

Two of the latter contain more detailed histories:

http://www.doubleogauge.com/history/history.htm

http://www.scalefour.org/history/history.htm

I hope that these pointers are useful to you.

Regards,
Rodney Hills
Surrey, UK

PS - TT (3mm/ft, 1:101.6 in UK), (2.51mm/ft, 1:120 elsewhere) is reasonably alive and well, see: http://www.3mmsociety.org.uk/

posted: 13 Aug 2007 19:58

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

EM is explained quite well on the EMGS website

http://www.emgs.org/WhatisEM.html

Best accessed through

http://www.emgs.org

The EMGS supports modelling in both EM and P4.

As the site is frame based.

Best

Nick

posted: 13 Aug 2007 21:02

Mik Raybould

Camberley - United Kingdom

Richard

I think that no-one just sat down and used Templot, even Martin.

I started by doing the first tutorial "Track Plan". Then I did it again and then again, trying to do it without referring to the instructions until I could do it by myself.

The main thing to remember is to place the peg where you want the next piece of rail to join the one you've just got right then put the "Notch under the peg", then store the current template. Make the next template and "shift to peg" then sort it out by bending stretching and anything else you fancy.

The Peg and Notch are the main keys to the whole thing.

Oh!  One other thing - enjoy yourself.

regards

Mik

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > First post totally new
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020