topic: 1270D12 slip or D12 scissors in P4
author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Oct 2010 22:30

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
The entrance to the extended Awrhyllgwami Quarry fiddle yard requires a D12 scissors on a 48" radius curve as per the trackplan in the simplified box file (none of the extra Vees have been added).  An alternative to this is to slide one pair of crossovers along so that the outer pair lie toe to Vee as per the upper plan in the box file. 

Is there anything inherently better about either approach?  Will one design lead to better running?  Or are both design doomed before we start?

Thanks. 
Attachment: attach_917_1270_D12_options.box 369

posted: 11 Oct 2010 17:03

JFS

United Kingdom

Just had a quick look - couple of comments.

On your top option, the switches come "inside" the checks for the common crossings - when you open it out it takes up a fair bit of length.

On the Scissors option, there might be issues of how to adequately check the vees for the two "inner" points, as they lie almost opposite the vees for the centre diamond especially given how fine they are.

Either option would need switched Ks I suppose.

Pity it is in the fiddle yard - we will all be wanting to watch you backing your train of a dozen 100t hoppers over itD

Good Luck!

Howard.

posted: 11 Oct 2010 17:41

JFS

United Kingdom

Just had a quick play with the "Outside Slip" option - somewhere between the other two...

see what you think...

Regards,

Howard
Attachment: attach_921_1270_new_awrhyllgwami_10_10_11_1738_33.box 315

posted: 11 Oct 2010 17:50

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

Hi Richard

Just another thought. The minimun radius through any of the crossover routes is 40.7 inches. Is this less than your minimum requirement?

Regards

John
Last edited on 11 Oct 2010 18:06 by John Preston
posted: 11 Oct 2010 19:55

Richard Spratt

JFS wrote:
Just had a quick look - couple of comments.

On your top option, the switches come "inside" the checks for the common crossings - when you open it out it takes up a fair bit of length.

On the Scissors option, there might be issues of how to adequately check the vees for the two "inner" points, as they lie almost opposite the vees for the centre diamond especially given how fine they are.

Either option would need switched Ks I suppose.

Pity it is in the fiddle yard - we will all be wanting to watch you backing your train of a dozen 100t hoppers over itD

Good Luck!

Howard.
I though people only went to exhibitions to watch fiddle yards!  Awrhyllgwami is slowly going back in time.  It might be 100 12t opens by the time we get to the next exhibition.

Switched Ks I don't fancy.  Not that I'm making the track, but I will have to wire it.  In the attached box file I've moved the two crossovers as far apart as possible.  The problems are that the bottom one is right on the extreme of the scenic board and that the two toes are too close together for comfort.

John, I was originally trying to keep to 48" as the minimum radius, but there are a couple of compromises in the fiddle yard.  We originally said that we wanted any track of the fiddle yard to be able to leave in any direction, but only receive trains from the proper direction.  That meant a 1:7 double slip at the fiddle yard entrance on the right hand end and it just about worked.

Then we added some extra sidings to fill the outside corners of the base boards for DMUs etc and that has added a facing crossover at the right hand end so that the DMU sidings can be entered from both ends.  So 40.7" for the facing crossover which should only be used by DMUs is ok.  But 40.7" for the trailing crossover is not so good as anything could run over it.

So I'm not there yet.  Any more ideas please.

thanks
Richard
Attachment: attach_922_1270_new_awrhyllgwami_fid_10_10_11_1936_16.box 350

posted: 11 Oct 2010 20:20

JFS

United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

100 12 toners would be equally good fun!
Don't worry about the wiring for switched Ks - they are no different to fixed ones as far as the wiring is concerned. Just make the whole unit on each side the same polarity. But with the very fine angle and it being on minumum radius, I think you would get nothing but trouble with fixed Ks which ever of the formations you choose.

If you started by just building the Ks - or even looking at them in Templot (and you would have to create them with Partial Templates), you will see that there is a frightening long gap in the rails - even in P4.

Regards,
H

posted: 11 Oct 2010 23:20

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

Hi Richard,

Have taken a second look at your latest .box file and see potential problems with upper right hand area ladder track.

I have taken the time to insert turnouts where there were none.  The first turnout to the ladder I have named "Ladder lead", the inserted turnouts are "ladder turnout #1, 2 & 3".  See the attached .box file.

I notice the minimum radius on Ladder turnout #1 is a barely acceptable 47.2 inches .  The minimum radius on the other two are 33.3 and 26 inches respectively.  I believe that some reworking of the plan may be useful.

Additionally, I have changed the radius on the inner crossover line to 60 inches .  This gives a minimum radius on the crossovers at about 47 inches.

Hope that this helps.

John
Attachment: attach_923_1270_Richard_1.box 303
Last edited on 11 Oct 2010 23:31 by John Preston
posted: 12 Oct 2010 14:29

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Richard,

Is there a reason for placing both crossovers before the ladder?

Operationally it work the same if only the facing crossover was in the approach to the fiddle yard. The trailing crossover could then come from the lowest of the ladder tracks to an extension of the main parallelling the ladder track. You could even make switch No.4 (No Name) a three way if you need the full length of the ladder track.

This arrangement will give you a lot more room to play with on the approach.

Glen

posted: 14 Oct 2010 21:06

Richard Spratt

John Preston wrote:
Hi Richard,

Have taken a second look at your latest .box file and see potential problems with upper right hand area ladder track.

I have taken the time to insert turnouts where there were none.  The first turnout to the ladder I have named "Ladder lead", the inserted turnouts are "ladder turnout #1, 2 & 3".  See the attached .box file.

I notice the minimum radius on Ladder turnout #1 is a barely acceptable 47.2 inches .  The minimum radius on the other two are 33.3 and 26 inches respectively.  I believe that some reworking of the plan may be useful.

Additionally, I have changed the radius on the inner crossover line to 60 inches .  This gives a minimum radius on the crossovers at about 47 inches.

Hope that this helps.

John
Thanks John,

Those radii and angles got me worried and I've had a long hard think.  For me an A7 is the minimum in P4, and then only when straight, unless you are going to build all of your stock to run around tighter curves.

Eventually I found the problem.  My idea was that the Ladder lead and Ladder turnouts 1-3 should be the same but different hands.  The problem is that the ladder track is curved, so now I've straightened it and all is well.

Changing the inner radius to 60" is a nice idea, but we don't have the space to do that.  Thanks

Richard

posted: 14 Oct 2010 22:22

Richard Spratt

Glen Suckling wrote:
Richard,

Is there a reason for placing both crossovers before the ladder?

Operationally it work the same if only the facing crossover was in the approach to the fiddle yard. The trailing crossover could then come from the lowest of the ladder tracks to an extension of the main parallelling the ladder track. You could even make switch No.4 (No Name) a three way if you need the full length of the ladder track.

This arrangement will give you a lot more room to play with on the approach.

Glen
Yes.  Glen.  I tried making No.2 switch into a 1:7 double slip with a trailing crossover, but the resulting trailing switch is too tight. 

What I've tried now is moving the trailing crossover as close as possible.  This results in a uneven double slip 1:7-12 (if there is such a thing)  templates 12 & 15.  Both started life as turnouts and looked ok, but don't look so good as half diamonds and haven't tried to draw in the slip roads!
Attachment: attach_931_1270_new_awrhyllgwami_fid_10_10_14_2217_49.box 300

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > D12 slip or D12 scissors in P4
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020