topic: 12837mm Switch Blade Filing Jigs
author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Nov 2010 18:13

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Up to now I have been happily filing and bending rail using my Portsdown common crossing jig to complete a diamond crossing and to make a start on two  turnouts.  I have now reached the stage where I need the switch blades (for loose heel switches) and my lack of filing skills is getting a bit obvious, even my wife has commented!

Portsdown apparently did a filing jig, but they are no longer around.   There is a jig mentioned in the S7 Group stores list, has anyone used it and can give me an appraisal?

Are there any others out there?  The layout (yes, I have actually started :D :D) has a number of different size switches, although I have now standardised the crossings to those I have on the crossing jig.

Many thanks.

Phil

posted: 10 Nov 2010 12:12

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

I have one (and a 1:7 crossing jig), but I've not got around to using it yet. I believe the S7 group are going to be producing jigs suitable for O finescale, but I'm guessing they are just the assembly jigs, as the straight crossing and switch jigs should be good for both.

I might be able to take a quick photograph later and upload if you think that it might be useful.

posted: 10 Nov 2010 17:35

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Thanks Richard - this is for S7 pointwork.

I've overcome my initial problem(s) and the builds continue. I had an 'ahaaa' moment this morning and four reasonable switch blades have been duly (and quite quickly) made today. :cool:

Phil

posted: 10 Nov 2010 17:51

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

phileakins wrote:
Are there any others out there? 

FastTracks, a Canadian company, manufactures a variety of filing and assembly jigs. They are available for several different scales and rail sizes. They are intended for flat bottom rail but will work well with bullhead rail if you go down one size. ie. use their code 100 jig for filing code 125 bullhead rail.

These are excellent tools but a bit pricey.

Glen 

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > 7mm Switch Blade Filing Jigs
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020