author remove search highlighting

posted: 18 May 2007 20:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

Here is a list of the currently available videos. I have created a new section in the Templot Club forums to contain this list and be updated from time to time.

These Templot videos are stand-alone executable files. Right click on the links below,  select the "Save Target/Link As.." menu item and navigate to a suitable folder on your system to receive them (e.g. My Documents). When download is complete select "Open" and you can safely ignore any warnings. To repeat the video at a later date, double-click on the saved file.

n.b. These videos are for Templot versions 078e or 082d. If you are using 074b, please upgrade before attempting to follow the video: upgrade info.

To start and stop playback of the video, press the keyboard space bar. While stopped you can move back and forth one frame at a time by pressing the arrow keys. Or use the top slider device to find a specific frame. Right-click on the image for more options. You can drag the video window by grabbing on the image.

(Some of the videos are "scruffy", meaning that they were done quickly in response to a question on the forum, and have not had hesitations and mouse fumblings edited out, or notes added.)

insert a turnout in plain track 3.8Mb
a return loop 7.1Mb
a simple oval - method 1 1.9Mb
a simple oval - method 2 2.4Mb
single slip 5.3Mb
working with substitution radius 7.1Mb
turntable - part 1 2.1Mb
turntable - part 2 7.7Mb
3-way tandem turnouts 11.3Mb
fixing start of transition zone 3.8Mb
linking to the notch 11.1Mb
simple transitioned corner 1.1Mb
overlaid track on a scan (long) 28.5Mb

new weaving track between obstructions 3.6Mb

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2007 16:31

sevenmil

Thank you Martin for those tutorial vieos, now I can make some progress.

Well Done!

Regards

Peter

posted: 31 May 2007 23:17

Cynric Williams

Thanks, they are really helpful, I find it much easier than reading through the tutorial. Would it be too much to ask for an audio commentary as well? :)

posted: 1 Jun 2007 03:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Cynric,

> Would it be too much to ask for an audio commentary as well? :)

Yes, I'm afraid it would. Adding a sound commentary multiplies the work involved in creating these videos several times over. There is no way that Simon could ask a question in the morning, and I can post an answer video in the afternoon, if it has to include audio. Sound also increases the download file size significantly, and some users are still struggling with slow dial-up.

Another problem with adding sound is that it makes the file impossible, or at least very difficult, to edit at a future date to insert extra waits or callouts, remove hesitations and fumbles, or just generally modify or update.

And I'm not convinced it would help. The idea is that you stop and start the video and replicate the functions of each step in Templot. A running commentary gets in the way of doing that.

Also not everyone runs their computer with speakers connected or sound switched on, so it is important not to include any significant information as sound only. Others like to have their own choice of background music or internet radio while working.

But the idea of an occasional beep or ping to highlight key moments is worth trying. Or perhaps that should be a steam whistle or diesel horn? Or maybe background sounds of ballast being shovelled, with a hammer striking a chair key at "key" moments? :cool:

In the meantime, here is a background sound track for the videos. After several minutes of this you will be pleading for a silent video. :)

http://www.templot.com/martweb/videos/yak.mid

What IS needed is a page of notes and annotated images which you can follow or print out. There is always far more to be said about each step than anyone could follow or take in if it was presented as spoken word. I have developed a synchronised video format which includes such notes, and I will be using it to present properly edited videos in due course.

The present videos are scruffy stop-gaps to get the information available with the minimum impact on my time -- I MUST find more coding time, the current 074b release version and tutorials are SIX years old! Add carefully timed audio scripts and commentaries to my task list and Templot would come to a dead stop. :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jun 2007 15:32

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

Hi Martin,

Thank you for this last video: Weaving track between obstructions. For me, this mirror function was still a bit misty. Now I have learned that it is a very useful tool. And one witch I have missed withal.
Thank you
René.

posted: 1 Jun 2007 17:11

Cynric Williams

Martin

I do realise that it takes a lot longer, I produce short podcasts for some of my students and it takes about 5 hours to produce a 5 minute podcast.:D so I understand the time constraints.

The idea of a ping when something important happens would be most helpful. I'm probably in a minority because I run dual monitors so the video is running in it's own screen whilst I am learning.

Either way I'm happy to have 'scruffy' videos over no videos at all!

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Videos available
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020