author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Aug 2007 16:19

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

If you have been following the "Fremington" topic you may have noticed that I have been playing about with the page script. I have DIVed out the text so that you don't need to scroll sideways to read it when the topic includes wide images. You may still need to scroll to see the whole of the images, of course.

The problem with that is that the text width is now fixed and anyone on an 800 wide screen does have to scroll sideways a little to get the full text column. If I reduce the text width to fit the whole page on an 800 screen it makes it unnecessarily narrow on wider screens.

Another problem is that IE does things differently from other browsers. :(

It would be good to know how many members are using each screen size. So here's a quick poll. Choose your answer and then click the Vote button. After voting you can click the View Results link to see the voting. Thanks for your help.

p.s. if your screen size is not shown, please select the next smaller size. Thanks.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2007 16:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

It would be good to know how many members are using each screen size. So here's a quick poll. Choose your answer and then click the Vote button. After voting you can click the View Results link to see the voting. Thanks for your help.
Just in case you tote up the results and wonder,  I voted twice - 1024 on my Toshiba at work,  and 1600 (and something) on my home PC :-)

Jim.

posted: 15 Aug 2007 17:38

Alan Pearmain

Harrogate - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Just in case you tote up the results and wonder,  I voted twice - 1024 on my Toshiba at work,  and 1600 (and something) on my home PC :-)

I also appear to have voted twice, but unintentionally; first, after attempting to vote it told me I could not as I had not logged in, then, after logging in and voting, it said I had voted twice.  Doh.

PS: trying to edit a quote to leave only the relevant part and then put in my two penn'orth afterwards is very difficult on this board.  The editor wants to add the new comments in the quotation box.  I finally succeeded, but it took a lot of fiddling about to achieve it. :?

Alan

posted: 15 Aug 2007 18:30

Martin Wynne

Alan Pearmain wrote:
PS: trying to edit a quote to leave only the relevant part and then put in my two penn'orth afterwards is very difficult on this board.  The editor wants to add the new comments in the quotation box.  I finally succeeded, but it took a lot of fiddling about to achieve it. :?
Hi Alan,

Which browser are you using? I'm sorry the WYSIWYG editor in IE and Firefox can be a bit clunky until you get used to it. (I chose this forum software for its full email capability and the editor came with it. It does have some advantages, such as the ability to directly paste in working links and image references.)

It's best to just start typing (which puts your text above the quote), or press CTRL+END and then start typing (which puts your text below the quote). Having got your own text started, it's then much easier to edit the quoted part.

In Opera and others it's a plain text editor and you should be able to type anywhere or edit between the quote tags without any problem.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2007 19:16

Martin Wynne

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Just in case you tote up the results and wonder, I voted twice - 1024 on my Toshiba at work,  and 1600 (and something) on my home PC :)
Hi Jim,

It's not possible to vote twice -- each vote is allocated against a user name. If you vote a second time it deletes your previous vote. (Or at least, that's how it is intended to work.)

I'm not planning to add up the votes and calculate the results to several decimal places! I'm mainly interested to see roughly what proportion of members are working sub-1024. There are lots of web sites limited to 800 width, which looks a silly waste of space on a big screen. I'm wondering if it's really necessary to allow for 800 users, if they are only a tiny minority nowadays. I can't imagine anyone is seriously following this forum on a mobile phone screen.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Aug 2007 21:45

Alan Pearmain

Harrogate - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Which browser are you using? I'm sorry the WYSIWYG editor in IE and Firefox can be a bit clunky until you get used to it.
Firefox 2.0.0.6 (in Win2K).  "Clunky" seems a fair description!  Definitely easier to do as you suggest and edit the quote afterwards.

Alan

posted: 15 Aug 2007 23:35

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
I can't imagine anyone is seriously following this forum on a mobile phone screen.

Ahh Martin thats where your wrong! :) I often read the forum when I am having my lunch in the park on my phone. Ok its not ideal but I get to see forum whilst at work as we are no allowed to browse on works time.. But yes I think there are very few people that view at any resolution below 1024. All my monitors are set to a minimum of 1280x1024

Regards
Tom

posted: 16 Aug 2007 02:27

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I usually work on 1024 but I use 800 pixels for reading text as the larger size makes it easier to read (failing eye sight)but on opera I can set it to page width so no real problem with whatever you use.:)

Cheers Phil

posted: 16 Aug 2007 02:35

Templot User

Posted By Email

----- from Peter Chappell -----

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi

Sorry no voting buttons shown.  For the record I use  1280x1024.

Regards

Peter

posted: 16 Aug 2007 02:50

Martin Wynne

----- from Peter Chappell -----

Sorry no voting buttons shown.  For the record I use  1280x1024.
Hi Peter,

The vote button is on the right at the top of this topic. You may need to scroll over to see it:

vote_button.pngvote_button.png

If you are reading this by email or on the Yahoo group you need to click the forum link at the top of the message. Also, in order to vote in a poll you must be registered on the forum and logged in. Click the Register link. No personal information is required.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Aug 2007 12:47

Tim Morrow

Melbourne - Australia

"It would be good to know how many members are using each screen size. So here's a quick poll. Choose your answer and then click the Vote button. After voting you can click the View Results link to see the voting. Thanks for your help."

I use 1280 and 1280+ on two pc's.

posted: 22 Aug 2007 19:39

Martin Wynne

Dear all,

Many thanks to everyone who voted in this poll.

Out of 31 votes only one is currently using 800 res. And no-one has complained about the change to a fixed width for the topic text.

So I think we can safely leave things as they are.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before."
(Dwight D. Eisenhower). :)

Thanks again for voting,

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Your screen width
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020