topic: 1307Track Plan for Wharf Lane Sidings South Eastern Railway
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Dec 2010 00:42

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've finally completed my Templot track plan for my fictitious South Eastern Railway Dock interchange sidings layout and would welcome Templot Club members comments on its feasibility. I have set all plain track as SER 21 ft. track panels. Turnouts are based on 9 ft. loose heel switches, but sleeper spacings are at present unconfirmed. The layout will utilise two separate traversers at the LH end of the plan, one serving the goods branch (uppermost of incoming lines), whilst the other traverser will serve the docks branch (lower incoming line). I do hope to include at least one tandem turnout to increase the siding capacity, but am still working on that.

1800_131939_310000000.png1800_131939_310000000.png

.box file attached.

Finally, I would say to any new Templot users to persevere, because although it may seem daunting at first, once the penny drops it is so easy to use.

Seasons Greetings to one and all.

Dave Yates
Attachment: attach_951_1307_WLS_Docks_Branch_Junction_v03_11-12-10.box 321

posted: 15 Dec 2010 17:53

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Hi David.

What period are you modelling? The SER lasted 60 years before the working union with the LCDR. :shock:

I have some information on early SER plain track amongst my SECSoc newsletters, I'll see if I can pull it out and create a template.

Lastly, I take it that the 'water' is to the south of your plan by the orientation of the incoming lines.

PM me if you want information about SECSoc - assuming that you are not already a member that is. :D

Phil

posted: 15 Dec 2010 19:26

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Phil,

Nice to hear from another  SECSoc member (although only been one for a few months). Your assumption about where the 'water' is, is correct. What I actually had in mind when I originally drew up the plane on my Designcad 3000 system was a goods only branch coming in from the Bricklayers Arms area into the fan of sidings, with the docks branch running from there down into the Surrey Docks area, purely fictitious, but offering the potential of considerable goods traffic. The layout is intended to be around c.1895 just before the working agreement with the LCDR in 1899.

I have already spoken to SECSoc members Dan Garrett and Geoff Stenner about SER trackwork around the time I am modelling and have had some useful feedback from them but would welcome any additional information.

Many thanks for the offer of help.

Dave:thumb:
phileakins wrote:
Hi David.

What period are you modelling? The SER lasted 60 years before the working union with the LCDR. :shock:

I have some information on early SER plain track amongst my SECSoc newsletters, I'll see if I can pull it out and create a template.

Lastly, I take it that the 'water' is to the south of your plan by the orientation of the incoming lines.

PM me if you want information about SECSoc - assuming that you are not already a member that is. :D

Phil

posted: 20 Dec 2010 18:27

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Hi David.

You are certainly in good hand with those two.

Thinking about your plan, which in some ways is reminiscent of Folkestone after the 1905 re-modelling, I wonder whether the 'north' is the better waterside. A long straight line along the quayside will allow rail borne mobile cranes right alongside the shipping.  The southern lines then become a goods reception and sorting sidings.

If you have a copy of Brian Hart's 'Folkestone's Railways', the photographs might give you some ideas.

Phil
Last edited on 20 Dec 2010 18:30 by phileakins
posted: 22 Dec 2010 21:15

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your suggestion ref. Folkestone. I don't possess a copy of Brian Hart's 'Folkestone Railways', but will endeavour to get access to a copy and examine your suggestion in more detail.

Regaards,

Dave :thumb:

posted: 23 Dec 2010 13:27

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Digging about in my back copies on the SecSoc newsletter (circa 1976) for an article I am writing, I found the details of the SER 21ft track panels you wanted, authored by Malcolm Parker based on an article dated 1882:

21 feet rail length, 8 9ft X 10in X 5in sleepers to the length spaced (sleeper centres) at 1 foot 2in from either end and then at 2 feet 8ins.

If you PM me your e-mail address I send a scan of the page.

Phil

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Track Plan for Wharf Lane Sidings South Eastern Railway
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020