author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Jan 2011 13:04

Steve Stubbs

Taunton, Somerset - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

I am just starting to draw up Yeovil Pen Mill circa 1939 in templot, and it occurred to me to check and see if anyone else had invented that particular wheel before?

regards
Steve Stubbs

posted: 10 Jan 2011 12:48

chris.mannall

Hi Steve. WE met at the Farnham easitrackpoints session last year. I'm seriously planning to convert my Weymouthmainline terminus and Abbotsbury branch to Easitrack. I thought Templot might be the easy way to do this but Ifind it doesnt run on my brand new IMAC Not being a computer buff and unlikely to become one at 78!!!!!! do you know a man who can??? Rgds Chris Mannall

posted: 10 Jan 2011 13:48

Steve Stubbs

Hi

as I explained on the phone I think the program is processor specific and will not run on a Mac. Nice to talk with you again.

regards
Steve

posted: 10 Jan 2011 13:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Steve Stubbs wrote:
as I explained on the phone I think the program is processor specific and will not run on a Mac.
Hi Steve,

Lots of users are running Templot on a Mac, using BootCamp, Parallels Desktop, Codeweavers Crossover, Linux/Wine, etc.

The latter two are the least expensive options, as no Windows licence is required.

See:

message 7823

topic 946

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/templot/message/7167

topic 287

topic 144 - message 732

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Jan 2011 14:02

Steve Stubbs

Sorry Martin I was told on the phone he had discussed this with you and told me you said it would not run on a mac?

Now I am confused ......

Chris?

posted: 10 Jan 2011 16:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Steve Stubbs wrote:
Now I am confused ......
Hi Steve,

Me too. :)

Templot won't run on a Mac out of the box -- which is the question most Mac users actually ask.

It is first necessary to install either

1. a copy of Windows (expensive), or

2. a copy of Crossover (inexpensive), or

3. Linux + Wine (free).

The latter two being essentially the same thing.

Unfortunately I don't know enough (well actually, nothing) about Macs to properly advise enquirers about these options, I can only refer them to what other users have told me. Which is occasionally contradictory.

Chris said he has an ithing called an iMac. As far as I know that's an all-in-one type of computer, but whether it is fully compatible with an i-less Mac I have no idea. Also I don't know which versions of Macs are compatible with the above options.

I advised Chris to ask other Mac users on here, and I'm sure he would get some helpful replies.

Ultimately I'm going to have to get a Mac, in order to answer these questions properly. Also I'm far from convinced that Templot runs perfectly in every respect on a Mac. So I can't just say "yes" and leave it at that, there are trade description issues. Obviously it runs well enough to be usable, because many users are doing exactly that.

Sorry this has hijacked your Yeovil topic.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Jan 2011 17:30

Steve Stubbs

All info is always welcome. Helps in the art of being a pseudo-expert! And nobody seems to have done Pen Mill anyway so I am plowing on with it myself. Mosley straightforward but with one curved single slip....

Steve

posted: 29 Jan 2011 11:36

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Steve Stubbs wrote:
Now I am confused ......
Hi Steve,

Me too. :)

Templot won't run on a Mac out of the box -- which is the question most Mac users actually ask.

Unfortunately I don't know enough (well actually, nothing) about Macs to properly advise enquirers about these options, I can only refer them to what other users have told me. Which is occasionally contradictory.

Chris said he has an ithing called an iMac. As far as I know that's an all-in-one type of computer, but whether it is fully compatible with an i-less Mac I have no idea. Also I don't know which versions of Macs are compatible with the above options.

I advised Chris to ask other Mac users on here, and I'm sure he would get some helpful replies.

Ultimately I'm going to have to get a Mac, in order to answer these questions properly. Also I'm far from convinced that Templot runs perfectly in every respect on a Mac. So I can't just say "yes" and leave it at that, there are trade description issues. Obviously it runs well enough to be usable, because many users are doing exactly that.

To continue the hi-jack,

An iMac is just a form of Mac: they use the same operating system (essentially a flavour of unix with a nice GUI).

I have used Parallels in the past, which is relatively expensive and also requires a copy of Windows. I would not advise this route, as it is clunky and time consuming, and to be frank, bl**dy awkward if the only non-Mac program you wish to run is Templot. I need a copy of Windows to be able to run remote sessions on my (then) work PC, but that changed last year and I have discarded this solution.

I have lately switched to Crossover which is much cheaper at £25.99 (currently), and this works fine, but as you say, it does not run perfectly in every respect. The imperfections are relatively minor, apart from the very, very occasional crash/freeze (one of each in several months of regular use) but since Templot is fully capable of restarting and restoring the most recent session I have not found this a major issue, and for the convenience of running Templot on my (i)Mac rather than a Windoze laptop I am prepared to accept that Templot was not designed for Crossover, neither was Crossover designed for Templot. The installation is straightforward, too.

Simon

posted: 31 Jan 2011 11:38

chris.mannall

Hi there you guys. After one or two false starts, I installed Windows via Bootcamp, but it has to be retail copy, most windows progs are preregistered to the computer they are sold/installed with. The only other thing I'v found is obvious after the penny dropped-viz that to run tutorials or anything else including the videos, you must do this whilst logged onto the windows section of the Imac. In the Imac mode it all seems to work until you get to the actual run instruction when it doesnt!!!

posted: 31 Jan 2011 14:39

George Leaf

Vine Grove - Kentucky USA

MS does have "Volume License" options.
They may be moved from machine to machine
as you replace or retire them.
They are not tied to a single machine serial number.
Some resellers will buy bulk volume licenses and
then resell you one of theirs.
As is reasonable for license use, one license per active machine required.

Best

George

posted: 8 Feb 2011 21:25

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

Hi all,

May I recommed Virtualbox http://www.virtualbox.org/ which is not only free but is running on my Macbook Air with Templot just fine. Am on 10.6.6 and it is rock solid.. :)

Regards
Tom

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Yeovil Pen Mill
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020