Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1332my first layout attempt - brackhampton snow hill
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Jan 2011 23:23

rovex

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This is a first attempt at a plan for a new layout I hope to build (once I've built the shed to put it in), its loosely based on the old Birmingham Snow Hill, but much reduced and because the station throat has to be on a curve the point work has had to be simplified, for example the tracks which cross from the bottom of the station to the carriage sidings which will be top right when drawn are going to have to be omitted.

I've not mastered the finer points of the system such as shoving timbers or doing three way points properly, but any comments gratefully accepted.

regards

Rovex
Attachment: attach_965_1332_snow_hill.box 426

posted: 9 Jan 2011 10:02

JFS

United Kingdom

Wow, lots of track! Should be an excellent operational layout when its done.

Just one tip which I learnt the hard way.  There might be a fair few devils in the detail of your plan in that some of the track might not be buildable - just to take one one of the three ways in the throat - the switches of one road overlap the crossing of the other.  This kind of problem of course is MUCH worse in 00 than in nearer-scale guages - even formations which would fit in the prototype cannot be built in the model.

1129_090455_280000000.png1129_090455_280000000.png

The worry is that you might not uncover all of these until you get deep into the detail of partial templates,by which time it is impossible to move stuff about to make the necessary space - or even worse, you discover that there is not enough room to fit things into the available space. (as I say, I learned that the hard way!)

My suggestion would be to go through the plan looking at all the "complex" formations and work out all the clearance needed to build them.  You might be a bit surprised at just how many changes are needed, but you will save much grief later!

Good luck getting it all built!

posted: 9 Jan 2011 16:17

rovex

Thanks for the advice, I dealt with the one your pinpointed by seperating the three way point in to two points. I'll have a look at the rest.

posted: 12 May 2011 18:20

rovex

This is the updated version of the trackplan for Brackhampton

The shed arrives soon and hopefully I can start getting the baseboards constructed.

In the meantime I'm starting getting track built

Any comments gratefully received

Rovex
Attachment: attach_1061_1332_snow_hill_25-4-2011.box 326

posted: 12 May 2011 21:39

JFS

United Kingdom

Hi there,

It looks like you have combed out a fair few of the things I noticed before!

One VERY big worry has to be the diamonds / slips on very tight curves and with fixed 1:7 elbows. I would be really worried about these even in P4 and in 00 the problem is much worse because of the over-wide flange ways. If you look at template 220 for example, I don't think there is room for the elbow guard - you would need moveable elbows.
If I were you, I would have a go at building a couple of the tightest ones straight off the template on to a "test plank", throw your 28XX and 5 dozen long wheelbase wagons at it, and see how it works. If you build the whole layout and then discover snags, you will have a BIG problem!

Good Luck!

posted: 12 May 2011 23:10

rovex

Thanks

I've chickened out of building the pointwork myself and have a contact buildingit for me.

So far he's built the scissor crossovers in the middle. I've tried to keep the curves as gentle as I can, but of course with such a large layout sacrifices have to be made. I'll raise the issues of the slips with him. Any other particular ones to be wary of?

Thanks again

Rovex

posted: 13 May 2011 06:46

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

On the right end of the plan, have you considered curving the platforms gently, that way you will have a larger radius on all the curves there. There's very little straight track on the real railway!

posted: 13 May 2011 08:04

rovex

Very true and after I'd dne the first track plan I found that the four main lines through the station have a very shallow curve on them, but as the overall roof was going to be a tough build anyway without coping with a curve as well I kept them straight. We've not built anything for this end yet. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Rovex

posted: 13 May 2011 09:31

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Rovex,

From recent experience,  I would agree with JFS on testing the diamonds to make sure that they will work before going much further..  At the moment I am building a diamond with two curved roads in S scale,  and the curves are very tight for S scale.  I am on my second attempt to get it working well and I think I have achieved that.    I am now going to set up a test on the board I am building it on and use a locomotive under power with long wheelbase stock to make sure it works under normal operating conditions before laying it down on the layout.  The delay is making some long wheelbase stock. :D

If it doesn't work,  I always have the option of changing to a switched diamond.   My only reservation with doing that at the outset being that my layout is set in the Edwardian period and switched diamonds were not in use at that time.

Jim.

posted: 13 May 2011 09:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
If it doesn't work,  I always have the option of changing to a switched diamond.   My only reservation with doing that at the outset being that my layout is set in the Edwardian period and switched diamonds were not in use at that time.
Hi Jim,

The NER 1912 standards book includes a detailed drawing (dated 19-Dec-1911) for "Standard Switch K Crossings" in sizes 1:8.1/2  to 1:12  inclusive in 1/2 steps. There is a single centre timber 16" wide.

(Book reprint available from NERA -- highly recommended.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 May 2011 14:34

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Jim Guthrie wrote:
Hi Jim,

The NER 1912 standards book includes a detailed drawing (dated 19-Dec-1911) for "Standard Switch K Crossings" in sizes 1:8.1/2  to 1:12  inclusive in 1/2 steps. There is a single centre timber 16" wide.
.Martin,

I remembered about the NER using them from an earlier thread on here but I don't think the Caledonian,  which I'm modelling,  used them.

Jim.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > my first layout attempt - brackhampton snow hill
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020