topic: 135Templot Launch Failure
author remove search highlighting

posted: 18 Aug 2007 08:06

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
All of a sudden Templot won't launch. I get a "TemplotZero.exe has encountered an problem and needs to close" message after the "Templot will be starting soon" screen comes up. I'm using XP home edition with service pack 2 on a Macintosh MacBookPro with bootcamp. Templot was working fine the other day with no observed shutdown problems. All other apps are working normally as far as I can tell. I'm using Templot version 0.91b.

Can anyone provide suggestions for what to look for or do? I've rebooted and tried launching several times, each time with the same result. Thanks in advance.

Dave

PS: Another funny thing is that I was not logged into Templot Club when I got to this site. I didn't log out the last time and I believe we were going to be kept logged in for 5 years???? Related problems???

posted: 18 Aug 2007 11:04

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Dave Phillips wrote:
All of a sudden Templot won't launch. I get a "TemplotZero.exe has encountered an problem and needs to close" message after the "Templot will be starting soon" screen comes up. I'm using XP home edition with service pack 2 on a Macintosh MacBookPro with bootcamp. Templot was working fine the other day with no observed shutdown problems. All other apps are working normally as far as I can tell. I'm using Templot version 0.91b.

Can anyone provide suggestions for what to look for or do? I've rebooted and tried launching several times, each time with the same result. Thanks in advance.
Hi Dave,

It seems possible the program file has become corrupted. I suggest re-installing the executable. There's no need to uninstall first. You won't lose anything. Just download and run:

http://www.templot.com/tug/templot_pug_091b_setup.exe

If still no joy, try deleting all the temporary files from your C:\TEMPLOT\ folder (or wherever you have Templot installed). The temporary files are:

pb.ebk
pbo.ebk
sfu.ebk

any other .ebk files

bgsmru.txt
boxmru.txt
jotbak.txt

You can also delete  relcode.txt , but in that case you will need to re-enter your lock release code on first startup. All these files are accessed by Templot during startup, so if there is a problem with any of them it may prevent Templot from starting. They will all be re-created as needed.
Another funny thing is that I was not logged into Templot Club when I got to this site. I didn't log out the last time and I believe we were going to be kept logged in for 5 years???? Related problems???
If you find you are not logged in when you visit Templot Club it can only mean a) that you logged out previously, or b) you have cleared cookies from your browser, or c) you have changed your browser settings not to accept cookies, or d) you are using a different browser or a different computer, or you logged on to Windows as a different user, or maybe in this case you have swapped from Mac to Bootcamp or to Parallels when accessing the forum. (I hope I've got the terminology right, my knowledge of Macs is minimal.)

I can't see how this would be related to the Templot launch problem, unless it is all part of some file corruption problem on your drive (or maybe a virus?).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 07:46

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Hi Martin,

I'm still having trouble with launching 91b. Here's what I've done.
  1. Reinstalled 91b using my saved copy of the 91b install file. No joy.
  2. Deleted files you listed. No joy
  3. Reinstalled 91b using a freshly downloaded copy of 91b from the site in your post. No joy.
  4. Uninstalled Templot and deleted Templot folder after saving my box files.
  5. Reinstalled 91b. No joy.
  6. Deleted Templot folder again--Templot not in list for uninstall.
  7. Installed 74b. It ran.
  8. Installed 91b. No joy.
  9. Installed 82b (or was it 82d?). It worked.
  10. Installed 91b again using freshly downloaded file. No joy.
  11. Installed 82b again. It worked.
In summary, I'm back at 82b. Any attempt to install 91b results in launch failure.

Now what? No detectable viruses with latest virus definition file. All the latest Microsoft updates were automatically installed. Anyone else having launch problems with 91b?

Thanks,

Dave

posted: 19 Aug 2007 09:07

Martin Wynne

Dave Phillips wrote:
I'm still having trouble with launching 91b.
In summary, I'm back at 82b. Any attempt to install 91b results in launch failure.

Now what?
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your very detailed report. At present I'm stumped, because you said up until a few days ago 091b was working fine. Something on your system must have changed. Are you able to do a Windows System Restore to an earlier date? (Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore)

What happens if you revert to version 091a?

http://www.templot.com/tug/templot_pug_091a_setup.exe

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 10:21

Martin Wynne

Hi Dave,

p.s. Something else to try -- after installing 091b, delete the file

TemplotZero.exe.manifest

from the Templot program folder.

This will cause Templot to revert to the Windows Classic style of buttons and menus, but no functionality will be lost. Does this cure the problem?

(This is an XML file and in the last few days MS have issued a security update to XML Core Services. But after applying the update all is working fine here. This file is included with 091b but not 091a.)

091b introduced multiple monitor support. Are you using multiple monitors? If so, what happens if you switch off multiple monitors in the Windows Display Properties before launching 091b?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 11:09

Zoë Topper

Dave,

Me too.

Did pretty much all the steps you took..., no joy with 91b either.

Help would be appreciated, eh?

Zoë

posted: 19 Aug 2007 11:15

Martin Wynne

Zoë Topper wrote:
Me too.

Did pretty much all the steps you took..., no joy with 91b either.

Help would be appreciated, eh?
Hi Zoë,

Please can you give some information about your computer. Are you using a Mac? Which version of Windows? Are you using multiple monitors? Has 091b ever worked on your system? Does 091a work? Does 082d work?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 17:48

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried restore to two previous dates. I could not launch 92b with either of them. I'm fairly sure I used 92b successfully after one or both dates. I'll try an earlier date later.

91a install is strange. The download dialog is different than other Templot downloads and is almost instantaneous--no delay while the file is downloading. Nevertheless, the install went as normal except 91a never replaced the 82b on any of the Templot screens. So to me, Templot 82b launched as normal. I didn't have time to check functionality to see if it really 91a. I had not previously tried 91a.

Dave

posted: 19 Aug 2007 17:52

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Hi Martin,

Deleted the manifest file after reloading 92b. No joy.

I'm working with a laptop. I do not use two monitors.

Won't be able to continue debugging until late tonight my time.

Till then,

Dave

posted: 19 Aug 2007 19:12

Martin Wynne

Dave Phillips wrote:
the install went as normal except 91a never replaced the 82b on any of the Templot screens.
Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have mentioned -- 091a was a trial version which installs by default in its own folder C:\TEMPLOT_PUG_09\

You need to launch TemplotZero.exe from that folder to run 091a. (Or create a shortcut to it.)

When 091b fails is there any information in the error message? Does it offer to send a report to MS? If so I would be grateful if you could click the Details button and copy the contents of the report to me. Does the error occur before or after clicking "Ready, Steady, Click"?

I'm puzzled by this problem as we now have Zoë reporting similar trouble. Anyone else? From the web stats I see that we have over 200 downloads of 091b, although it's not yet linked on the main web site.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Aug 2007 22:02

Raymond Gibson

Jacksonville - Florida USA

Sadly, I cannot add anything of real value but, for what it is worth.....

I do not think that it is anything to do with Templot, but either with the computer or Windows. My "Idol" has Windows XP2 Home Edition & Templot 0.91b which replaced 89 (never bothered with 91a) &, so far, it works perfectly. However, "Idol" has been giving trouble over the last 6 months: much slower (perhaps because it has a CAD program which has almost trebled in size, two browsers, Wordperfect Office Suite, etc. This has probably made the contraption feel its age (7 years). Now, from hibernation, it has to be triggered twice (on one occasion, three times) before it will awake from its slumbers & I am wondering if the Hard Disc is "on it's last legs".

But, to return to the real point of my missive. For many months I was having that "....problem...& needs to close" message, but it was coming up on the word processor, the spreadsheet, the CAD program, the CD burner - virtually every item at some time or another. The reason for this happening remains a mystery. I never bother to notify MicroSoft of the problems because they probably do not care unless one of there own programs is involved. Whilst ploughing through the O'Reilly books to try to overcome the other dilemmas, I re-read the section about the File System several times before deciding to take the irreversible plunge & converted from FAT32 to NFTS.

Probably pure co-incidence, but that particular error message has not appeared recently - however frequent "Program not Responding" instances do still occur. Hence my suspicion that it might be a Windows, or hardware, problem.

Raymond.

Dave Phillips wrote:

Dave

PS: Another funny thing is that I was not logged into Templot Club when I got to this site. I didn't log out the last time and I believe we were going to be kept logged in for 5 years???? Related problems???

posted: 19 Aug 2007 22:38

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Could I suggest a visit to: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/default.htm

It's free on the web and you don't have to buy it (you will be invited!).

I have found that it really improved the running of my computer.

Go for the Tune-up and Clean-up first (unless you can leave it running over night).

I can't say it will cure your Templot problems but it will sort out your registry.

Alan

posted: 20 Aug 2007 07:44

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
091a was a trial version which installs by default in its own folder C:TEMPLOT_PUG_09

When 091b fails is there any information in the error message? Does it offer to send a report to MS? If so I would be grateful if you could click the Details button and copy the contents of the report to me. Does the error occur before or after clicking "Ready, Steady, Click"?
Hi Martin,
  • 91a launches normally.
  • The I'm sorry...message offers no information other than the application name--TemplotZero.exe. The message offers to send a report to MS (or not send). It also has a "To see what data this error report contains, click here" link. The screen that comes up is an "Error Signature", which I copied and attached as TemplotZero Error Signature. There is a link on the page for even more technical information. That screen contains the Error Report contents, which includes exception info, system info, information on modules 1 through 30, and data on thread 1 which is a hexadecimal dump of a portion of memory. It is not copyable however, at least without another application. I imagine Windows has a screen print utility and I could get the data that way, but there would be a lot of screen shots. I would be happy to do this if you want it, after looking at the data I can send you (the attachments). The screen also lists a file that would be sent along with the error report to MS, which I found (hidden) and attached.
  • The error occurs before clicking "ready, steady, click". When I launch Templot, I typically double click an alias of Templot. A window named "Welcome to Templot", containing "Templot will be starting soon" comes up. After a short time, the "I'm sorry..." message comes up.

Attachment: attach_41_TemplotZero_Error_Signature.txt 384

posted: 20 Aug 2007 07:49

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Dave Phillips wrote:
  • The screen also lists a file that would be sent along with the error report to MS, which I found (hidden) and attached.
Martin,
The second file is attached. I gather only one file can be attached per post.
Dave
Attachment: attach_42_1ef8_appcompat.txt 373

posted: 20 Aug 2007 08:09

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Dave Phillips wrote: The error occurs before clicking "ready, steady, click". When I launch Templot, I typically double click an alias of Templot. A window named "Welcome to Templot", containing "Templot will be starting soon" comes up. After a short time, the "I'm sorry..." message comes up.
Hi Martin,

To clarify my previous response a bit...the "Ready, steady, click" window never comes up, so the error occurs before the Ready, steady, click window should come up to be precise. Also, I meant shortcut when I mentioned alias.

I'm going back to restoring a previous state of my computer, as well as trying some of the things others have posted.

Thank you for your great support to Templot!

Dave

posted: 20 Aug 2007 08:55

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Hi Martin,
Success! I've got 91b launching again!

I'm not sure if, how, or why, but this is what I did. I told you about the file in the error report that was hidden. To see hidden files I turned on the view system and hidden files options under Folder Options. After posting the last message I noticed four system/hidden files on the desktop -- two DS Stores files (whatever they are) and two Templot Pug Info pdf files. I absently moved them to the trash. Then I thought maybe I better not do that and tried to move them back but got a warning asking whether I wanted to replace the older DS file with the newer version. I said no, keeping the older one on the desktop. After turning the view system/hidden file options off,  I found that Templot 91b launched normally. I restarted and tried it again...it's still working.

Perhaps two DS Stores files on the desktop is a no-no, or the later one is corrupted. Anyway, I'm back up and running.

Dave

posted: 20 Aug 2007 09:30

Martin Wynne

Dave Phillips wrote:
Success! I've got 91b launching again!
Hi Dave,

Great! Thanks for letting me know.

Unfortunately I have no idea what a "DS Stores" file is, and Google doesn't seem to offer anything relevant. Nor do I understand why a pdf file from templot.info should be included in your hidden system files. Nor why hidden system files would be on the desktop.

Did you notice the size of the "DS Stores" file? If it's a cumulative log file of some sort it could be extremely large, and deleting it has released memory needed for Templot.

However, if the problem is cured we can leave such mysteries for another day! :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Aug 2007 12:21

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote
Unfortunately I have no idea what a "DS Stores" file is, and Google doesn't seem to offer anything relevant. Nor do I understand why a pdf file from templot.info should be included in your hidden system files. Nor why hidden system files would be on the desktop.

Martin.
Martin

For info - I vaguely recall that the last time I saw DS Stores files, it involved the use of file transfer by USB stick between laptops. I can't remember the brand of stick or software involved. Some of these 'clever' sticks contain synchronising software and these DS Stores files may be associated with that function. It might also explain some of the errant behaviour/location of these files.

Regards. Dave

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot Launch Failure
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020