topic: 1369Anti-Virus scans flag forums as unread
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Feb 2011 23:04

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This is not really a Templot problem but I did not know where else to post it.

I recently installed an upgrade to Norton 360 (which includes Norton Anti-Virus). It is set to run a full scan once a week. Since the upgrade, every time that Norton runs a scan it does something to the Templot Club that resets all of the forums and topics to unread. It also flags any posts less than 30(?) days old as unread. It never did this before the upgrade.

I can get rid of the forum flags by pushing the "Mark forum as read" button in each forum but I have to click on each post in each topic to get rid of those flags.

Does anybody know how to stop Norton from doing this?

Glen

P.S. I am having the same problem with the TV Guide. After Norton runs a scan TV Guide reverts to a generic national program listing instead of my specific local programming.

posted: 11 Feb 2011 23:12

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Glen,

Yes, simple solution. Un-install Norton..... I ran a repair workshop for a number of years and we had nothing but trouble with anything that had Norton on it. I know that is a bit of a generalisation but it held for us. A lot of the software seemed to interfere when it shouldn't, as you seem to have found.

Obviously you will require another product or two to replace Norton but in my expereince most 'decent' software caused less problems.

Just my view FWIW

Rob

posted: 12 Feb 2011 00:17

BruceNordstrand

Riverstone, NSW - Australia

May I suggest something like AVG Anti Virus instead of Norton. IN all the years I ran a Windows box Norton was the biggest paint in the butt. AVG did everything I needed but then I got a Mac :)

Cheers
Bruce

posted: 12 Feb 2011 00:20

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Wow, another happy AVG user. Well done Bruce. :D :D :D

Rob

posted: 12 Feb 2011 07:58

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Wow, another happy AVG user. Well done Bruce. :D :D :D

Rob
I agree. Norton caused me nothing but problems and even the uninstall failed at times before one could start from scratch again so hours searching their help files.  Now I use Zone alarms and have no problems whatsever.  it also loads up at lighting speed whereas Norton could take minutes.

Regards

Raymond

posted: 12 Feb 2011 10:59

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

I guess it's something to do with some sort of privacy controls that is deleting all of your browers cookies.

posted: 12 Feb 2011 16:41

Andrew Fendick

Andover - United Kingdom

Hi Glen,
I think Richard_t is correct. It is likely that a cookie is used to keep track of the areas of the forum you have visited, and that cookie is being deleted. I use Norton myself but haven't hit this problem. However, I found this topic on the Norton community site that may help you setup N360 so it doesn't remove the cookie.
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Allow-tracking-cookie/td-p/216805
Last edited on 12 Feb 2011 16:50 by Andrew Fendick
posted: 12 Feb 2011 16:52

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Can I add to the general consensus to get rid of Norton? Last time I used it, years ago, it caused no end of problems. I'm currently using Microsoft's Security Essentials on my main PC, and AVG Free on my laptop, having switched from the increasingly bloated Kaspersky.

Sometimes I think that AV writers forget that the purpose of a PC isn't solely to run their products to the detriment of anything else you might want to do with your PC!

posted: 12 Feb 2011 17:03

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

I have Notron 360 on my PC with Windows XP+SP3 and have not had any such problem (so far!).

posted: 12 Feb 2011 17:04

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

PS - My PC can't spell!

posted: 12 Feb 2011 20:09

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

I had Norton on a previous PC and it caused me no end of trouble. In the end the only way to uninstall it was to format the hard drive and start again. I now use AVG on my pc and laptop.

Cheers Phil

posted: 12 Feb 2011 22:54

polybear

Hi,
I use Norton 360 (the latest version) on a recent Acer laptop running Vista. Whilst Norton has had a bad press in the past it has now (finally) got itself sorted - the magazine reviews confirm this. The February 2011 issue of Computer Shopper ran a test of anti virus programs using live internet viruses. They tested 3 free AV programs (including AVG) and 11 paid for AV programs. AVG was the best free version (5 star rating); the best paid version was Trend Micro (also 5 star, but beating AVG for overall performance). Norton 360 was 5 star (Summary: "Norton is still near the top of the AV pecking order, but it didn't quite win out over one of it's cheaper rivals). Incidentally, McAfee scored two stars and was described as "...poor compared with all the other....".

I tried AVG (the free version) a couple of months ago, but became concerned when at laptop start up I would randomly see a warning that the AV wasn't running and the laptop was unprotected, meaning I would have to restart the laptop again. This didn't happen at every laptop startup, but often enough to be a pain/worry me (especially if I missed the warning). So I changed to Norton instead (OK so I got it free with a magazine offer of 3 issues for a quid, which was too good to pass up on). So far it's been absolutely fine.

As for the original problem, try opening Norton, click on "settings" then "Antivirus"; my Norton has "Tracking Cookies Scan" set to "Ask Me". Just a guess and worth a try - I couldn't see anything else that may affect things as you describe (not an expert though!).

HTH
Brian
Last edited on 12 Feb 2011 23:01 by polybear
posted: 12 Feb 2011 23:08

polybear

p.s. For those of you reading my (original) posting via email please note that it should have read:
"....a bad press in the past..."

and not "....a best press in the past...."

Duly corrected, plus a couple of other tweaks also!

Brian
Last edited on 12 Feb 2011 23:08 by polybear
posted: 13 Feb 2011 10:47

Graham Idle

Redhill, Surrey - United Kingdom

Hi all,
I am now using Avira, on the recommendation of a friend, who runs his own IT company. Since installing it I have had no problems, unlike AVG, which suddenly stopped likeing certain programs. I would recommend looking at this if you are in the market for a new AV program.
Regards, Graham

posted: 16 Feb 2011 04:37

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I have tried playing with Norton but with no success. I was able to stop Norton from flagging everything as unread but in doing so I left my computer without protection against spyware. So, having just spent the money for a Norton upgrade, I am now going to invest in AVG (for three computers).

Again, thanks for the help,

Glen

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Anti-Virus scans flag forums as unread
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020