author remove search highlighting

posted: 21 Aug 2007 04:06

renluethi

Dietlikon - Switzerland

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,
Is anybody willing to explain the measuring process with the GIMP Program? I have a similar job as Martin had with the goods wagon. I have a 3/4 view of a row of houses. When I put the grid over it and want to align the grid, the houses are also moving in the same direction as I drag the grid.  When the grid finally is aligned with the contours of the houses, these are distorted in a manner that it is impossible to place any measuring points. It is even hard to recognize these blotches of colour as houses. I was looking for a tutorial or video in the GIMP forum, but with no result. I like to scratch build this row of houses and it would be fin to have a tool for measuring them.
Thanks in advance for the replies and advice.
René.

posted: 21 Aug 2007 04:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
renluethi wrote:
Is anybody willing to explain the measuring process with the GIMP Program? I have a similar job as Martin had with the goods wagon. I have a 3/4 view of a row of houses. When I put the grid over it and want to align the grid, the houses are also moving in the same direction as I drag the grid.
Hi René,

Please can you include a screenshot -- it's much easier to help when we can see what you are trying to do! :)

The two important points to note are:

1. You must align the grid only over features which are rectangular and all in the same plane.

2. Before clicking Transform you must select Corrective mode (which is not the default).

After transforming, the aspect ratio will almost certainly be wrong. You need to scale the image to the known overall dimensions. Templot makes a convenient way to do this with a transformed image. You can display the image as a Picture Shape with the grid lines in front of it. Then enlarge or shrink it with the mouse until known dimensions on the original match the grid. You can set the grid to any convenient spacing in mm or inches.

if you want to print it, Templot's printer calibration function ensures maximum accuracy.

While displayed in Templot you can pick off any dimensions you want, including diagonals, by clicking with the mouse or by displaying the ruler tool. By zooming in you can do this to any desired accuracy. There is more about using Templot to extract dimensions from drawings and photographs at:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/info_files/gimp_example.htm

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Measuring with GIMP
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020