author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Feb 2011 09:31

JFS

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear All,

My latest Magnum Opus requires a tandem turnout in a very tight spot.
The closest prototype formation that I know of (although opposite hand) was at the Railway Megalopolis that was Brighton Kemp Town - fortunately on the same company as my fictitious example.

http://www.semgonline.com/location/pics/im_kemptn-8.jpg

The consequences are that the two common crossings are very close together and that the switch rails have to be very short with a continuous lump check.
1129_181823_010000000.png1129_181823_010000000.png

Although real railways would obviously avoid such formations where they could - the construction would be very much a "special" (the Kemp Town example is all block chairs) - there must have been plenty of other examples, perhaps especially in pre-grouping days and where operations were complex or space was tight. Fenchurch St and Charing Cross perhaps being examples.

My question is: can anyone either upload or provide links to further pics or drawings of this or other examples as I would like to know how it would have been built in practice, especially in terms of the fixing of the end of the check whilst still leaving the switch free to hinge.

Just a Templot question: how can I "force" joints to appear where I have artificially shortened the rails - for example between the switch and the crossing above? (I am hoping that there is a better answer than the feared "custom switch" dialogue box - though that of course is exactly what I am creating!)

Many thanks,

Howard.

posted: 19 Feb 2011 10:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Howard,

A pic from the Scalefour Society web site:

chairs04.jpgchairs04.jpg
© Scalefour Society

Linked from and more excellent pics at: http://www.scalefour.org/resources/trackdetails.html

There are details and a drawing of GWR check lumps on pages 42-43 of David Smith's bible:

http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/gwsg/GWRSG_Publications.html

The lump rail and closure rail ends are planed to half-thickness and spliced together at the loose-heel joint. The two are held together by the joint fishbolts. The location of the loose-heel is shortened back to the virtual heel position (where the heel offset is 4.1/2" -- rail width + flangeway).

To add extra track joints to a template, the quick way is to draw them on manually, as background shapes (main > draw with mouse menu item).

To do it properly create a short bit of rail containing a joint mark as a partial template, align it over the rail and snake it into position. (Don't use no timbering, as this also removes the rail joints. Instead, remove the timbering using omit all on the shove timbers functions.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Feb 2011 11:53

JFS

United Kingdom

Hi Martin (I thought you were offline, but many thanks anyway!!!)

Many thanks for this - I should have pointed out that I already had this example as I am an S4 member and it has been linked here before - very sorry about that. This one is an "easy" example in that there are a full four sleepers between the two crossings. When you have less than that, you run out of room to fit in one side of the "A" chair at the first nose - the Kemp Town example uses a block here as well.

Your detail on the lump check is useful and I shall continue searching for pics - it is a pity that the Kemp Town pic does not cover a slightly larger area.

In the last bit you provide a little gem - "no timbering" explains why I could not make joints appear on the many partial templates which are just bits of rail!!! Easily fixed. I know I am being too cheeky to ask if it might be reasonable to change this functionality in the new PUG, now only days away...

Many thanks and very best wishes,

Howard

posted: 19 Feb 2011 13:05

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

JFS wrote:
In the last bit you provide a little gem - "no timbering" explains why I could not make joints appear on the many partial templates which are just bits of rail!!! Easily fixed. I know I am being too cheeky to ask if it might be reasonable to change this functionality in the new PUG
Hi Howard,

The timbering layout and rail joint positions are interdependent, so they are linked together for some of the joints -- wing rail fronts and plain track.

But it's more than 10 years since I made it work that way. I'm sure I had good reasons at the time but thinking about it again now I'm not so sure. Rail joints can now be omitted individually at do > omit rails and joint marks, so the need for blanket removal with the timbering is not so evident.

However, those joints are easily retained if you omit all on the shove timbers functions, so there isn't any great urgency to make a change -- I will have a think about it. 

now only days away...
Hmm. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Feb 2011 13:17

JFS

United Kingdom

.. luckily we neither of us said how many days....

I remembered this other example of an interesting formation at Clapham junction, which shows some detail of a lump check - again I would be interested to see any further pics of this ...

1129_190811_060000000.jpg1129_190811_060000000.jpg

.. this pic from the S4 site.

Regards,

Howard.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Constrained Tandem
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020