topic: 142OS track maps online
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Aug 2007 10:53

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides

Track maps online for use in Templot background scans.

Dear all,

Here is a very useful web site if you are modelling present-day tracks. This is an online government resource of OS maps. At first it doesn't look very promising, but if you keep zooming in eventually it breaks into vector mapping down to the level of individual rails. :)

This OS vector mapping is very expensive to buy, but this is a free resource of small extracts for planning purposes. Unfortunately it has a rather prominent watermark on every image.

click:  OS Planning Maps

Using the tools on the left, click or draw a rectangle to zoom in, or drag the map to pan.

Right-clicking to save the image doesn't work, but in Firefox you can use the Tools > Page Info > Media function to do Save As... on the map image. Note that there is a time limit for doing this after displaying the page -- the image url is created temporarily in the database. Or you could take screen captures, of course.

Then use photo-stitch software from your digital camera to create a larger map for use as a Templot background picture shape. Or simply use multiple picture shapes -- use the shift shape mouse action with transparent images to align them.

If you use these maps in Templot, please don't upload Templot screenshots here -- OS copyrights bite! :(

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Aug 2007 13:50

Bernard C

United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Impressive and fascinating.

However, does 'Planning Portal' across the zoomed maps have to remain?

Regards

Bernard

posted: 25 Aug 2007 16:53

Martin Wynne

Bernard C wrote:
However, does 'Planning Portal' across the zoomed maps have to remain?
Hi Bernard,

This is a "watermark" which OS insist on in order to make their expensive digital mapping available free. Using a graphics editor such as Paint Shop Pro it should be possible to tone down the watermark, but not eliminate it entirely (which would infringe the OS licence).

There is currently a political campaign about the high cost of OS data -- see Free Our Data.

Another site using free watermarked OS maps is the DEFRA "Magic Map" web site:

http://www.magic.gov.uk/website/magic/

This uses OS raster mapping rather than vector, so it's of little use for Templot track planning. But the images are much larger, and the site has extra controls and a useful printing function. You might find it useful for outdoor activities, tracing railway routes, etc.

The OS maps are used as a back-drop image in monochrome, over which various land use markings are added as layers. You must have at least one layer, but some have minimal effect on the usefulness of the base map, e.g. Administrative Areas. The grey monochrome can be made darker in Paint Shop Pro.

On Magic Map you can enter any exact scale and have the OS map enlarged to suit. The smallest useful scale to enter is 1:2500 which enlarges the OS 1:10,000 map 4 times and corresponds to the well-known old 25" maps. But at this scale the Planning Portal mapping is much more detailed and useful instead.

Magic Map zooming (draw a rectangle) and panning (drag the map) are similar to the planning site. The map size depends on your screen size. (You must allow pop-ups from this site to get the maps.) Here's some bumf from the Magic Map web site:
"Map Scales available in MAGIC

MAGIC contains five scales of Ordnance Survey base mapping - 1:10,000 scale, 1:25,000, 1:50,000, 1:250,000 and Miniscale maps. All maps have been provided under the Pan-Government Agreement with the Ordnance Survey and are subject to Ordnance Survey copyright. The base mapping should only be used for the purpose of displaying data sets from the MAGIC information resource. Ordnance Survey mapping is used as a back-drop image within this application at a range of scales:

* Miniscale data will be displayed when the map scale is between 1:265,000 and 1:1,000,000

* 1:250,000 data will be displayed when the map scale is between 1:50,000 and 1:265,000

* 1:50,000 data will be displayed when the map scale is between 1:25,000 and 1:50,000

* 1:25,000 data will be displayed when the map scale is between 1:10,000 and 1:25,000

* 1:10,000 data will be displayed when the map scale is below 1:10,000

Watermarking

You will notice that every 1:10,000 scale Ordnance Survey map you view in MAGIC has a watermarked logo in the background. This is an essential requirement to protect the copyright of the Ordnance Survey mapping and of the information contained in MAGIC. You should never try and remove the watermark from any print or screen capture."

Another site of great interest is  http://www.npemap.org.uk  on which most of the country is available scanned from the New Popular Edition 1" OS maps of the 1940s and early 1950s (now out of copyright). An excellent site for nostalgia and retracing childhood journeys! :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Jun 2008 21:41

adj

I've collated an image using the OS maps from the planning portal as per

topic 142

I now need to import the map/image into Templot. From what I've gathered I need to know the resolution (I guess the image size in this case) and the scale. Does anybody how I can determine the scale of the image of the maps used? The scale bar says 10m but I've noticed it's the same at the next zoom level too. Any suggestions or will I have to guesstimate?

Cheers all,

Adriano

posted: 11 Jun 2008 02:17

Martin Wynne

adj wrote:
Does anybody how I can determine the scale of the image of the maps used? The scale bar says 10m but I've noticed it's the same at the next zoom level too.
Hi Adriano,

The 10m scale bar on the maps should change in length at different zoom levels.

When creating the picture shape, use the green bar option drawing, photograph or other picture. Enter the full image width in model size mm as near as you can guess.

Then use the action > mouse actions: shapes > scale shape mouse action to re-scale the image to the exact size. To check the size you can set the grid spacing to the model equivalent of the 10m bar (use the grid in front of shapes option, on by default in 091c).

Or use the ruler tool -- tools > ruler > show ruler . Using the ruler, ALT+left-click can be used to set one end of the ruler on one end of the 10m bar, ALT+right-click on the other end. You can then read off the length of the ruler, and scale the image until you get the required size.

Or use the read-outs on the jotter to measure the 10m bar in the image. Use ALT+left-click to zero the  dX, dY readout. tools > jotter menu item.

Don't forget to save the .bgs file when you have the image the correct size.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2010 19:59

Mark Leigh

Tonbridge - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

Track maps online for use in Templot background scans.

Dear all,

Here is a very useful web site if you are modelling present-day tracks. This is an online government resource of OS maps. At first it doesn't look very promising, but if you keep zooming in eventually it breaks into vector mapping down to the level of individual rails. :)

This OS vector mapping is very expensive to buy, but this is a free resource of small extracts for planning purposes. Unfortunately it has a rather prominent watermark on every image.

click:  OS Planning Maps

Using the tools on the left, click or draw a rectangle to zoom in, or drag the map to pan.

Right-clicking to save the image doesn't work, but in Firefox you can use the Tools > Page Info > Media function to do Save As... on the map image. Note that there is a time limit for doing this after displaying the page -- the image url is created temporarily in the database. Or you could take screen captures, of course.

Then use photo-stitch software from your digital camera to create a larger map for use as a Templot background picture shape. Or simply use multiple picture shapes -- use the shift shape mouse action with transparent images to align them.

If you use these maps in Templot, please don't upload Templot screenshots here -- OS copyrights bite! :(

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

This OS Planning Link doesn't seem to work on my computer. It takes me to the planning portal website with a few tools on the left hand side and a square map viewer box, but no map inside!!!
Any Ideas?

Mark

posted: 16 Feb 2010 20:28

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

Mark Leigh wrote:
Hi Martin,

This OS Planning Link doesn't seem to work on my computer. It takes me to the planning portal website with a few tools on the left hand side and a square map viewer box, but no map inside!!!
Any Ideas?

Mark

Give it time - it works eventualy,

Alan

posted: 16 Feb 2010 20:29

Martin Wynne

Mark Leigh wrote:
Hi Mark,

Make sure "Zoom In" is selected on the left.

Click on the blank viewer box and wait several seconds.

Click again and wait several seconds.

Repeat until eventually you will see a map of the UK appear.

Keep clicking on the location you want and waiting each time for it to zoom in. Each step can take several seconds.

Just when you are finally about to give up exhausted, it will break into vector mapping and show "Planning Portal" in large grey lettering across the map.

Change to "Move Map" on the left so that you can drag the map about, then zoom in some more to see the rails.

I can only imagine this site is intentionally so clunky to deter folks from getting to the valuable vector mapping free of charge. Don't give up -- it's worth it in the end. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2010 21:04

Mark Leigh

Alan Turner wrote:

Mark Leigh wrote:
Hi Martin,

Any Ideas?

Mark

Give it time - it works eventualy,

Alan
Nope Sorry Alan it don't.

The map viewing window has a broken (torn-up) piece of paper symbol in mine
Thanks all the same.

Mark

posted: 16 Feb 2010 21:11

Martin Wynne

Mark Leigh wrote
The map viewing window has a broken (torn-up) piece of paper symbol in mine
Hi Mark,

So has mine. You just have to keep clicking and waiting. Try clicking "Zoom to Full Map" on the left and waiting. Then do it again. And again. :(

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2010 21:18

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

It worked for me just now. Using Opera 10.10, Windows XP. SP3

John

posted: 16 Feb 2010 21:25

Mark Leigh

Martin Wynne wrote:
Mark Leigh wrote:
Hi Mark,

Make sure "Zoom In" is selected on the left.

Click on the blank viewer box and wait several seconds.

Click again and wait several seconds.

Repeat until eventually you will see a map of the UK appear.

Keep clicking on the location you want and waiting each time for it to zoom in. Each step can take several seconds.

Just when you are finally about to give up exhausted, it will break into vector mapping and show "Planning Portal" in large grey lettering across the map.

Change to "Move Map" on the left so that you can drag the map about, then zoom in some more to see the rails.

I can only imagine this site is intentionally so clunky to deter folks from getting to the valuable vector mapping free of charge. Don't give up -- it's worth it in the end. :)

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the help. I kept clicking and when i was exhausted 15minutes later i was about to give it up  as a bad idea. Then i decided to copy the link from Firefox to Internet  Explorer (now i know why i use Firefox - my personal view of course!) and oddly enough it works there.

Must be a few aliens in my Firefox?

Anyway your right - on first impressions well worth the wait.  :cool::thumb:

Mark

posted: 16 Feb 2010 21:58

Martin Wynne

Hi Mark,

Glad you got there in the end. I'm sure that site didn't used to be so slow.

The good news is that I have found a URL which gives a larger map area: :)

Larger Planning Portal Map

Also, to get started, simply click once on "Zoom to Full Map" on the left.

The broken icon in the top corner of the map area should then become whole, but otherwise nothing seems to be happening at all. But if you just wait, and wait, and wait -- eventually a map of the UK appears. :)

You can then zoom in, drag, and zoom again, to wherever you want. Use the options on the left to change the mouse actions.

(It's necessary to wait several seconds after every mouse click before the result appears.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Feb 2010 20:19

Mark Leigh

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Mark,

Glad you got there in the end. I'm sure that site didn't used to be so slow.

The broken icon in the top corner of the map area should then become whole, but otherwise nothing seems to be happening at all. But if you just wait, and wait, and wait -- eventually a map of the UK appears. :)

You can then zoom in, drag, and zoom again, to wherever you want. Use the options on the left to change the mouse actions.

(It's necessary to wait several seconds after every mouse click before the result appears.)

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

After finding out that it would load under "Internet Explorer" but not under my normal browser "Firefox"
i decided to look deeper into this and found out that at some point i'd blocked this site. Its all up and running fine now.

Whilst on this subject of "stitching" shots together, how do i go about that? Is there a link to how to do this?
Do i need some special software to achieve this?

I've noticed that you can get maps fromStanford Maps but what size?
Problem with the above is i haven't really decided the location of my P4 layout so this could be an expensive way!!!!!

Regards

Mark

posted: 17 Feb 2010 20:25

Mark Leigh

Hi All,

Sorry the above was a question to the whole forum not directed at Martin

Mark

posted: 18 Feb 2010 00:42

Nigel Brown

If one's interested in older plans, there's always the railway companies' official track plans. I obtained quite a few of the Aberystwyth area from OPC a number of years ago when they were providing this service in conjunction with BR; as they were copied to microfiche they're probably still obtainable from the National Railway Museum. Think they should be fine for use with Templot, in fact when I've time I intend to have a go with one or two.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 18 Feb 2010 19:04

Mark Leigh

Nigel Brown wrote:
If one's interested in older plans, there's always the railway companies' official track plans. I obtained quite a few of the Aberystwyth area from OPC a number of years ago when they were providing this service in conjunction with BR; as they were copied to microfiche they're probably still obtainable from the National Railway Museum. Think they should be fine for use with Templot, in fact when I've time I intend to have a go with one or two.

cheers
Nigel
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for that info.

I've now managed to stitch together some track work via the OS Planning Maps. I haven't yet done much more than that as there were several types of file i could save it as and it was getting rather late.

I thought i was stitching together some maps not knitting a jumper!!!!

It would be helpful if anyone in Templot club who has used OS maps to produce a templot to guide me gently in the right direction on what to do next? What type of file extension? --- a link maybe, tutorial or something........please.

Or just a nudge:roll:

Mark

posted: 18 Feb 2010 21:40

Martin Wynne

Mark Leigh wrote:
I thought i was stitching together some maps not knitting a jumper!!!!

It would be helpful if anyone in Templot club who has used OS maps to produce a Templot to guide me gently in the right direction on what to do next?
Hi Mark,

You don't actually need to stitch them together.

You can load each one into Templot as a separate picture shape, and then align them in Templot. Temporarily set one of them transparent and align it over the previous one(s) using the shift shape mouse action.

I wrote some detailed notes on RMweb about setting up Planning Portal maps in Templot. RMweb is offline for a server move* at present, as soon as it's back I will find and post the link.

For use in Templot you must save the captured images as Windows .bmp files only.

*RMweb is moving into the care of Jim Hale in Ohio, who already looks after us here on Templot Club. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Feb 2010 23:17

Brian McK

Martin advised:

I visited this resource out of curiosity, and made a series of about 40 screen-saves of tracks out of Kings Cross and St. Pancras, to as far as Caledonian Road Station.

To reach the first level of vector files took ten separate zoom-in clicks, then two further zoom-in clicks displayed the tracks reasonably well with the scale bar then reading '50metres' in the left bottom corner of each of the 600 pixel square views.

These views were all stitched together into one large GIF file of 3.6mb.  Getting carried away, images from Google Earth were stitched and placed in the background behind the patchwork of maps.  The fit of this photo mosaic is quite good, but not pixel perfect relative to some of the drafted buildings.  Intriguingly, the photo required counterclockwise rotation of 1.53 degrees to align with the maps.  With photos, this second GIF file grew to 14.9mb.

I'm not sure if these files would email successfully but I'll try it once only if anyone is interested.  I was resident in Kings Cross 1972-73, and worked 'up the Pentonville Road', before Victor's had arrived there, but who were selling model items out of a broom closet from their music shop amidst the fruit and vegetables of Chapel Market.

-
Brian McKenzie

posted: 19 Feb 2010 01:52

Martin Wynne

Brian McK wrote:
Martin advised:

To reach the first level of vector files took ten separate zoom-in clicks, then two further zoom-in clicks displayed the tracks reasonably well with the scale bar then reading '50metres' in the left bottom corner of each of the 600 pixel square views.
Hi Brian,

I have been trying this site again tonight and made some progress:

1. It's not necessary to make the first click. If you simply visit the link and wait long enough, the full UK map eventually appears. Maybe the site was broken and has been fixed.

2. You can zoom in much faster if instead of simply clicking with the "Zoom In" tool, you draw a tiny red rectangle on the map.

By making this rectangle small enough, I found I could get from the full UK map down to the vector mapping level in only two stages.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Feb 2010 10:54

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
I wrote some detailed notes on RMweb about setting up Planning Portal maps in Templot. RMweb is offline for a server move* at present, as soon as it's back I will find and post the link.
Hi Mark,

RMweb is not yet back online, but I posted similar notes about using the Planning Portal maps in Templot in this topic:

topic 957 - message 5549

You can see Dave Long's screenshots from that topic at a larger size in the Image Gallery, (click the link to see the original size):

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_gallery_single.php?display=ALL&page=241

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_gallery_single.php?display=ALL&page=242

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Feb 2010 13:43

Nigel Brown

Russell wrote:
Nigel Brown wrote:

(sent by email to Yahoo and posted here by Martin)

Morning all

Yes the plans are still available from the NRM, I got some a few weeks ago.

The drawing numbers are still the same.

OPC did produce a book with all the numbers in it is ISBN 0 86093 293 1  IF YOU CAN STILL FIND ONE. 137 pages.

It gives the station or junction, region or company and the OPC reference number, but not the year they were drawn up.

Hope this helps

Russell Mc.Coy
Useful info, I hadn't actually tried ordering plans although I ordered some Cambrian Railways wagon drawings a couple of weeks ago. Until recently NRM were quite discouraging about ordering the OPC stuff by post, their line being that you should visit them to check on what you are ordering as the OPC numbers were "unreliable". They seemed to be particularly reluctant to deal with station plans as they seemed not to hold the originals. Thank goodness common sense seems to now prevail. It would be even more useful if they published the numbers (maybe they do, but I've not checked this); I still have the OPC lists of the stuff I was interested in, but that's less than half the total.

posted: 13 Mar 2010 15:30

Bernard C

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Mark,

Hi Martin

Please can you send to me the link you refer to above regarding setting up Planning Portal maps in Templot.

Regards

Bernard

posted: 13 Mar 2010 15:41

Martin Wynne

Bernard C wrote:
Please can you send to me the link you refer to above regarding setting up Planning Portal maps in Templot.
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for reminding me. :)

The full topic is at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39387

My notes at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=604094#p604094

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Mar 2010 15:48

Bernard C

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Bernard C wrote:
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for reminding me. :)

The full topic is at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39387

My notes at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=604094#p604094

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin

Wonderful. Many thanks

Regards

Bernard

posted: 3 May 2010 09:04

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

Another good way of getting track plans is google maps, go to the biggest zoom you can, and it seems to be about right for 2mm/ft!

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > OS track maps online
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020