Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1438Print of Timbering Data?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 Mar 2011 17:27

Bill Fay

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Is it possible to print off the timbering data for a turnout? Specifically I am thinking of the timbering spacing after having shoved timbers around. I have tried a search of previous topics but drew a blank.

Bill

posted: 31 Mar 2011 21:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Bill Fay wrote:
Is it possible to print off the timbering data for a turnout? Specifically I am thinking of the timbering spacing after having shoved timbers around. I have tried a search of previous topics but drew a blank.
Hi Bill,

Sorry this isn't directly available. Can you say why you need it in printed form? The dimensions really make sense only when laid out graphically.

There is a way, sort of. But it's a bit tedious. Well actually, it's very tedious. :(

1. Copy your template to the control template if not already.

2. Set it as a straight turnout, with timbers square-on, and ends in-line.

3. Shift it onto the datum.

4. store & background.

5. Select the background template as the only member of a group.

6. Make sure print normal size 100% is set in the print menu.

7. Export a DXF file (only background templates can be exported):
   On the DXF dialog, click selected group only.
   Change all the DXF colours to none, except for timber centre-lines and timber numbering.
   Set mm or inches for your preferred units (these will be model sizes, not prototype).
   Save the DXF file.

8. Open the DXF file in a text editor such as Windows Notepad (DXF files are plain text).

9. Search for the word "ENTITIES" and delete everything above it in the file.

10. You should now have a long list looking like this short extract for each timber. Search for the word "LINE" to mark the start of each block of data:
LINE    ------ start of data for this timber
TIMBCENT
171.96  ------ X dimension to this timber centre
TEXT
TIMBNUMB
1.T6    ------ template number, and this timber number
LINE    ------ end of data for this timber, start of next timber.

With some creative searching and replacing it should be possible to edit the list into a presentable form. Unfortunately the data is not listed in the same order as the timbers in the turnout, but this can also be fixed with some editing.

If you can explain why you need this I will consider adding it as a function to produce a proper neat printed list. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Mar 2011 22:41

Bill Fay

Many thanks Martin,

Gosh you are right that is a tedious process. I'm not totally convinced I need it - provided that when I change the scale of a template the timbering will change correctly and also I presume that when I "copy to control" the shoved timbers will also follow through.

Maybe it is just a wish rather than a need. I am one of those strange people who like to see written data:)

Bill

posted: 31 Mar 2011 23:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Bill Fay wrote:
Gosh you are right that is a tedious process.
Hi Bill,

Well yes, the DXF file isn't intended to be printed out as text. :)

If you open it in a CAD program, it's possible you may be able to obtain a print of entity data.

I'm not totally convinced I need it - provided that when I change the scale of a template the timbering will change correctly and also I presume that when I "copy to control" the shoved timbers will also follow through.
Before changing the scale of the template, be sure to select the match original option. This is not the default setting.

Note that it is possible to get a perfect conversion only if the scale:track-gauge ratio remains exactly the same. For example converting H0 to P4 works. Converting EM to 00 doesn't -- there will be some discrepancies to correct.

Yes, copy to the control copies everything, including any shoved timbers.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Apr 2011 10:15

Bill Fay

Martin,

Thanks for your help and advice.

Bill

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Print of Timbering Data?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020