topic: 1439A first attempt - CJF's Umberleigh
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Apr 2011 07:38

dajt

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,

I bought Templot last night and decided to try making CJF's Umberleigh plan. I thought I'd better check it was actually buildable before I decide to make a layout from it :?

I've done my best to follow the track plan, but have been having trouble with transition curves and reverse curves... surprised? I think I'm pretty close, but am a bit worried about some of the tight curves and there may be some changes of direction which are too sudden.

Is anyone willing to give it a look over and point out the troublespots?

Regards,
David Taylor.

2076_010235_400000000.png2076_010235_400000000.png
Attachment: attach_1031_1439_Umberleigh.zip 238

posted: 1 Apr 2011 10:34

JFS

United Kingdom

Hello David,

Good Stuff for one night's learning!

I have not looked in detail, but I did quickly check out one "obvious" aspect - I notice that you have a lot of points which are - for example A 4.5. or B5. Such points are very inefficient in terms of use of space, resulting in very sharp minimum radii.

I suggest that you go through and change each of the switches (Template > Switch options) and change them to "9 foot straight heel switches". Also, change the crossings from "regular" to "Generic". You will see a very significant change in the minimum radius!

Hope that helps for now,

Good Luck,

Howard.

posted: 1 Apr 2011 11:23

dajt

OK, thanks. I'm having another go using those settings for the points. The different switch setting does seem to make the point shorter, then the V setting extends it again, but it still seems shorter than the original.

When you say "sharp minimum radii", wouldn't that mean an efficient use of space if the stock can get around it? I'm a bit confused there.

Regards,
David.

posted: 2 Apr 2011 00:22

Nigel Brown

David

The radii Howard refers to are the internal radii within the turnouts; these depend on the geometry chosen for the turnouts (switch, crossing types etc), and don't affect the overall radius (sometimes called the substitution radius because it's the plain track you could replace the turnout by) of the turnout, which is what affects the use of space.

One comment: at the right hand end of the station loop you've terminated the loop with a crossover on a curve. I should check the radii of the templates involved to make sure they're not too tight. The original plan used two straight turnouts here, which might give you easier radii if you need them, although the curved crossover may look better.

posted: 2 Apr 2011 14:13

JFS

United Kingdom

Many thanks Nigel for chipping in - I have been off line for a couple of days!

David, just doing a very quick check, I see that an A5 turnout has a minimum radius of 31" and the 9' switch, generic crossing equivalent has a radius of 36". Also, the B5 (a "more gentle" switch) is worse than the B5 a5 30.7 inches - an apparently strange result until you realise that the point needs a "kink" in the middle of it to join the gentle angle of the switch to the same angle of the crossing.
As Nigel says, this minimum is just for a short length between the switch end and the crossing start and is like asking the stock to go round a corner, followed by a length of straight through the crossing which not only looks awful, but risks a derailment of longer fixed wheelbase stock for no benefit. You can see what this minimum radius is by having the information panel in view:- Pad > Show Information panel or pressing F2. It is worth having a play with the different options to see the effect on your track.

Best Wishes,

Howard.

posted: 2 Apr 2011 23:45

dajt

Thanks guys.

I started redoing the plan and tried using straight turnouts for the RHS end of the loop and I could not make them fit. This looks to be the only really optimistic bit of the plan. It looks cramped in the book and straight turnouts make the curve go way off the end of the given width. That may not be a big problem as I'll probably store the layout in the garage, but I don't want to make it much bigger than it already is.

Regards,
David.

posted: 3 Apr 2011 10:55

Nigel Brown

Hi David

Just had a quick bash at the RHS end of the loop. To get close to the original, I replaced the straight bit of track beyond the loop (template 27?) by a turnout with a 1:5.5 or 1:5 crossing, did a make-simple-crossover, then curved the second turnout until it fitted the other track in the loop. This leaves the exit into the headshunt as the sharpest curve, about 21", rather than any of the running lines. The overall size of the plane remains the same.
Another alternative could be to retain the curved crossover, but eliminate the straight bits on either side to get on more gentle general curve on the double track, thus easing the curves in the crossover. Just some thoughts; if you're happy with the existing curves for your planned stock then the plan's fine as is.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 3 Apr 2011 12:50

dajt

Thanks Nigel, I'll try to replicate what you did.

The stock will all be small locos, 0-6-0 at most, and 4-wheel coaches/wagons. This is basically a train set for me and the kids to play with, and a chance for me to try making a layout.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A first attempt - CJF's Umberleigh
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020