author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 May 2011 19:33

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

I always hesitate to use this section because so often bugs turn out to be features :D  Anyway, here's one for you.  After 10 years of using Templot, I've just discovered the "make label shape" function which is brilliant!  The intention was to use this to describe the switch or crossing angles on the printed template as a reminder of what was used.  The snag is that when printed, the label shape is at 90 degrees to what is shown on the screen, and in some cases this means it's obscured.  It seems to rotate anticlockwise with the pivot at the top left of the label shape, as far as I can tell.  It doesn't matter whether printing is set to end run or side run.

I'd really rather my background shapes printed out where I put them, so is this is a bug or have I missed a setting somewhere?

Cheers

posted: 8 May 2011 21:19

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
After 10 years of using Templot, I've just discovered the "make label shape" function which is brilliant! The intention was to use this to describe the switch or crossing angles on the printed template as a reminder of what was used. The snag is that when printed, the label shape is at 90 degrees to what is shown on the screen, and in some cases this means it's obscured.
Hi Paul,

It is not strictly a bug, it's a legacy limitation. It is mentioned in the help notes on the background shapes dialog:

"When labels are printed they appear rotated through 90 degrees relative to their position on the screen. This is to match the paper orientation. The top-left corner location remains fixed. Bear this in mind when adding labels to the drawing."

The reason is that not all printers can print non-horizontal text. Or at least, they couldn't at the time when I was writing the code originally for Windows 95. To match the label orientation on the screen, the text must run vertically relative to the top and bottom of the printed page.

Bearing in mind that the templates are construction aids rather than works of art, I reckoned that it didn't really matter how the labels appeared, provided the information gets printed on the page. Perhaps it does matter?

If the label shapes are being obscured, you can click bat name label a few times until they are clear of the template before making the label shape, allowing for the anticlockwise rotation.

I will look again at this, but other things should probably have priority.

Thanks for reminding me about it. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 May 2011 21:33

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Thanks for the explanation - that all makes sense!  I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.  It was as construction aids that I was using them, and now I know the limitations it's easy enough to just give them room to rotate on the screen.  The fix for this is a long way down the priority list - loads of us are looking forward to the next PUG :D

Cheers

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Label shapes rotating
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020