topic: 1539TDV Road Map
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Jun 2011 16:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Road map indeed. It's strange how the jargon creeps up on you. :?

Yesterday's build cleared up several loose ends. I now expect to tackle the outstanding stuff in this order:

1. Platforms in all output formats and for diagram mode.

2. Page outlines on the workpad.

3. Finish the user interface for the sketchboard.

Which would then leave only the mammoth and daunting task of

4. Write the missing help texts and update the web site, "more info" links, tutorials and videos. For example the tandem tutorial/video needs a significant update to use a gaunt turnout for the middle V-crossing. The sketchboard will need a significant amount of explanation, tutorials and videos. All the existing videos and tutorials need an introductory note about Quick mode and Normal mode.

And finally, if the will to live hasn't deserted me, :)

5. Finish (or even properly start)  the Quick Intro beginner wizard.

TDV should then be ready to become a Pug -- unless you know different?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Oct 2011 21:25

Martin Wynne

Nearly 4 months on from my previous post in this topic, so an update would seem to be in order. :)

With today's TDV update (Build # 4309) I feel that the core functionality in TDV is now complete. Unless you know otherwise?

With over 60 purple members now in the development group I've been a little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about some of the new features. It can't all be working fine, surely? :)

But of course it is still some way from being finished because there is still the major task of writing the help notes and docs, creating videos, updating the shortcuts lists, online links, F-key chart, etc. Also I want to add more settings into the saved program preferences.

In truth I've been putting off doing the help notes for a long time, but there is no choice now. :(  I know I'm the wrong person to write them, but there isn't really anyone else who can.

So the next TDV update is unlikely to contain any new features, but will hopefully have a bit more explanation of some of the existing ones.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Oct 2011 10:44

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
With today's TDV update (Build # 4309) I feel that the core functionality in TDV is now complete. Unless you know otherwise?
Hi Martin

I just thought I'd remind you that we had a conversation on 4th August last year about adding a flatbottom rail foot by changing the rail head size on duplicate templates and making it possible to apply these changes to all templates at once .

You replied, "I  will add this to the modify on rebuild options in the next pug".

Will that be possible?

Regards

Alan

posted: 7 Oct 2011 22:43

Les G

Martin Wynne wrote:
With over 60 purple members now in the development group I've been a little surprised that there hasn't been more discussion about some of the new features. It can't all be working fine, surely? :)
Hi Martin,

Speaking for myself, if something seems not to be working I am first inclined to think it is something I have got wrong, or misunderstood.:?  that is usually the case.

But, as the help files and turorials develop perhaps more of us will feel able to stretch our knowledge and experience of the new templot, and then feel better qualified to report on bugs, and ease (or otherwise) of use. I have been following the dialogue of postings quite closely, but it is only in recent weeks that I have been able to spend time on getting to grips with Templot.:)  I, for one, will endeaver to test fly TDV with the new help materials wherever possible, and give feedback as we go along.

There is a wealth of information in the club and the companion.  But it is can be a bit time consuming going back and find the key bits one needs when one gets a bit stuck.

As a suggestion: it would be useful to create a linked A to Z  index as the TDV help is being completed, perhaps with a new "index" button in the Companion leading to it. Such an index could have your planned outline content from the outset, with incomplete sections greyed. That way we would all be able to see the project progressing to completion, with easy access to the content that is available.

Best wishes on what is a splendid project.:thumb:  with acknowlegement and thanks to those users who have contributed tutorial materials and advice which helps us all.

Les G

posted: 9 Oct 2011 18:21

Martin Wynne

Les G wrote:
As a suggestion: it would be useful to create a linked A to Z index as the TDV help is being completed, perhaps with a new "index" button in the Companion leading to it. Such an index could have your planned outline content from the outset, with incomplete sections greyed. That way we would all be able to see the project progressing to completion, with easy access to the content that is available.
Hi Les,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have indeed been working on a new A-Z Index recently.

In fact I have made several false starts on such a thing over the years. :(  Hopefully this time will be a bit more successful. :)

There is almost nothing in it yet:

http://templot.com/companion/

but please feel free to visit it to check progress at any time.

There is just one topic so far:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?swell_function_ctrl_f10.htm

updated for TDV only for the changed keyboard shortcut.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Oct 2011 09:13

Les G

Hi Martin,

That's the ticket :thumb: 

The banner is a bit lurid; does it signify the occasional depression and the blood you have sweated over the years?  :D

Les G

posted: 11 Oct 2011 00:38

Martin Wynne

Les G wrote:
The banner is a bit lurid; does it signify the occasional depression and the blood you have sweated over the years?  :D
Hi Les,

Probably. :)

You can hide it by dragging the panel borders.

And I have now added Hide and Full Page buttons to do the same. Click the Normal View button (or press F5) to restore the normal page:

http://templot.com/companion/swell_function_ctrl_f10.htm

The full page option is needed for video topics to allow for the video width. Such topics will go to full page automatically.

Now I must add the actual content. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Oct 2011 09:02

Les G

Martin Wynne wrote:
Les G wrote:
...You can hide it by dragging the panel borders.

And I have now added Hide and Full Page buttons to do the same. Click the Normal View button (or press F5) to restore the normal page...

Nice feature:thumb:

Les G

posted: 11 Oct 2011 22:15

Martin Wynne

Alan McMillan wrote:
I just thought I'd remind you that we had a conversation on 4th August last year about adding a flatbottom rail foot by changing the rail head size on duplicate templates and making it possible to apply these changes to all templates at once .

You replied, "I  will add this to the modify on rebuild options in the next pug".

Will that be possible?
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the reminder. This seems to have slipped through the net, sorry about that. Yes, I will get this option implemented.

However I have been doing a bit of fiddling about in the code, and I think I have found a way to get usable templates with foot lines out of TDV, as a temporary kludge. See my reply to Leo at:

topic 1650 - message 10385

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Nov 2011 03:56

Martin Wynne

Alan McMillan wrote:

Will that be possible?
Hi Alan,

Just to let you know that this is now in the latest TDV update, # 4435.

Also, you can now print the output with both FB foot edges. Be warned that this is an improvised implementation in this TDV. It works by creating duplicate templates, so makes a big demand on memory and system resources. Attempting to convert and print your entire large track plan in one go is likely to crash your computer and take a fortnight to print anything. I suggest converting a few templates to FB at a time, printing them out, then converting them back before doing a few more.

More about all this:

message 10600

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Nov 2011 15:25

gsmorris

So far apart from the one or two things - mostly due to me - it all works as it should. Need to play with the new FB additions . but so far I have not realy needed the help files above what is posted here or mostly simple to work out.

The only think I am not sure I like much better than V0.91c is the print set up and the less easy, to me anyway, preview arrangments. The simplicity of the old was good

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020