topic: 1550Wheel Rail interaction in 4 mm
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Jun 2011 07:18

JFS

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I thought this vid might be of interest...

... I hope my wheels don't wobble quite that much!

Best Wishes,

H

posted: 24 Jun 2011 20:40

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Howard,

It is a good job the wheels have nice big flanges! Toy train makers used to fit their stock with wheels like these.....oops, silly me, they still do.

It would be interesting if anybody could post a comparison vid taken on P4 or Scaleseven to show the difference.

Rob

posted: 24 Jun 2011 21:07

Peter_Hirons

Ireland

I was a bit concerned with the amount of end-float of the axles in the bearings. Didn't think pin-points were meant to do that :roll::roll:

posted: 25 Jun 2011 10:15

JFS

United Kingdom

I was actually surprised - it rides a lot better than I expected. I think it is a great way to see how good / bad your track actually is and agree that it would be good to do one in a "more scale" standard - though I have seen some pretty ropey P4 track in truth!!

Does anyone know what the technology looks like to make a vid like this?

Peter, I agree and I think that end-floaty axles are both too common and a source of potential derailments due to the wheelsets getting out of line.

Howard.

posted: 25 Jun 2011 11:51

Nigel Brown

Not sure I'd worry about either the wheel wobble or the end float visible in the video. Suspect in both cases it's well within acceptable tolerances, and a small amount of end float may add a tad of flexibility; certainly you don't want things too tight.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 25 Jun 2011 17:25

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Not sure I'd worry about either the wheel wobble or the end float visible in the video. Suspect in both cases it's well within acceptable tolerances, and a small amount of end float may add a tad of flexibility; certainly you don't want things too tight.
Nigel,

It depends on the wheel and track standards you are using.   That much wheel wobble can be an embarrassment if the wobble goes the wrong way at a crossing nose on the (close to) exact scale setups.   And with some automatic coupling systems,  they look for minimal end float on a vehicle's axles to ensure coupling - such as the Alex Jackson design.

But it would be interesting to see what happens on an exact scale setup - P4, S scale, Scale7.  I believe that you can get small camera recorders which can be housed on a model wagon and be used to record what happens on board.   I believe they record to onboard memory that is played out afterwards.

Jim.

posted: 25 Jun 2011 17:33

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

JFS wrote:
Does anyone know what the technology looks like to make a vid like this?
Howard,

Maybe something like this

http://swannsecurity.com/s/products/view/?product=998

It looks as though the camera is in the cap of the pen. which makes it less that half the length of the complete pen - say under three inches.

Jim.

posted: 26 Jun 2011 09:39

Howard

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
I believe that you can get small camera recorders which can be housed on a model wagon and be used to record what happens on board. I believe they record to onboard memory that is played out afterwards.
I've been playing with an N gauge camera truck made by Bruce Piggott; he also makes a camera wagon in 00. These could be rewheeled or set on a different chassis for fine scale. For the application in mind you would also need to turn the camera mounting upside down to get a nearer track view.

http://www.branor.co.uk

He uses the same type of camera as the "spy cams" in pens and cigarette lighters, but I believe he uses a special lens to get extra depth of field. I was impressed with the quality of the recording, much better than wi-fi cameras I have used.

I made the following video - before you laugh too much at the track remember this layout is 25 years old and the hand built track was built to N gauge standards. I never thought I'd mention it on this site!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqZAkeUZMU

Howard.

posted: 26 Jun 2011 16:58

JFS

United Kingdom

Thanks for the answers to my question chaps. Howard, thanks for the vid link - it is fascinating to see how the vehicle responds to the track! I see there are quite a few such videos on youtube - I think Pendon could use these ideas - it seems such a waste that 90% of the Vale scene is normally invisible.

It seems the Branor camera wagons have been popular - they are sold out!

I also had a look in the Maplins catalogue - lots of suitable gear and, my goodness, there are some sinister things out there!

Regards,

Howard.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Wheel Rail interaction in 4 mm
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020