topic: 1555Ceeton 2
author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Jul 2011 13:01

Katier

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,

Some of you may have seen my thread on RMWeb well I know have templot and have had a go at a more final plan for Ceeton2. Ceeton is a fictional NER two track mainline with light railway junction/branch.

The initial plan below was done in Railmodeller as a pre-curser to

5904285153_e78fd249aa_b.jpg5904285153_e78fd249aa_b.jpg

From that I produced the following Templot plan ( Box also attached )

5904860948_cca54dfb50_b.jpg5904860948_cca54dfb50_b.jpg

I would appreciate thoughts on the plan and someone doing a once over on the file because I am SURE there are more than a few problems with it. Was a bit disapointed I have to drop the end on loading dock but that's life I guess. (unless someone can figure out how to include it )

The left hand double to single track was me having a bit of a play working out the potential entry to a window sill fiddle yard.

Lowest goods line also feeds a private factory ( violet area on top plan). Blue/Yellow is the light railway servicing and loco shed. The branch is a light railway feeding collieries and a couple of villages.

Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated - especially on the Box file being as it's my first and as I said early.. probably strewn with problems.

Scale is 3mm/ft 12mm intermdiate.

Thanks in advance.
Attachment: attach_1117_1555_ceeton_11_07_05_1243_20.box 258

posted: 5 Jul 2011 13:26

Katier

Might add I'm NOT going to go straight in and make this monster in one go. I'm also going to design a small test track and build the points for that ( plain track will be 'flexi track' ), first. If I can't handle points I'll get them built.

posted: 5 Jul 2011 17:19

Nigel Brown

Hi Katier

I think the platforms look a bit thin. Rather than having the lowest platform edge straight(ish), have you thought of bowing it down a bit, so that the platform is thicker in the middle, and tapering at the ends. I think you've got room to do this, and it should be possible to rearrange the sidings to fit.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 5 Jul 2011 18:08

Katier

Hi Nigel, I had wondered if they might be. I was thinking maybe bow the mainlines up slightly. The baseboard is 8 inches from the bottom of the board to the 2ft mark. The top platform has 3.4 inches (according to the magic ruler) of space. So 28 feet of space, while the space between the ends of the sleepers for the island is 1.3 inches or about 11 feet. Not sure what of that would be platform but does seem a bit narrow. I'm guessing I should 'steel' 1 inch out of the top giving 20ft there and give the island another inch giving it a maximum width of about 19 ft? Still probably prototypically narrow but doable?

Second idea, make the top platform low relief with only half a station and say 1.5 inches maximum platform depth (so about 12-14ft) and increase the island to a maximum of about 3 inches?
Last edited on 5 Jul 2011 18:09 by Katier
posted: 6 Jul 2011 11:24

Nigel Brown

The double-sided platform on my layout (main platform face plus a bay) is about 2" wide, equiv to 17'. Space was tight which limited the width, but I wouldn't want it to be much narrower.  But I'd reckon 15-17 feet would be OK. If you want any sort of building on the platform it would of course need to be wider.

Nigel

posted: 6 Jul 2011 17:03

Katier

Thankyou Nigel,

I've done some revisions :)

5909241968_a72227445c_b.jpg5909241968_a72227445c_b.jpg

Even fitted the end-on dock in. Width looks a lot better I think although I am wondering if the platform is a bit too generous in its length?

Debating making making the mainlines curve to horizontal rather than curving down too?
Attachment: attach_1118_1555_ceeton_11_07_06_1657_53.box 258
Last edited on 6 Jul 2011 17:09 by Katier
posted: 6 Jul 2011 17:04

Katier

Wondering if I should make the right hand end finish its curve pointing horizontally rather than the downwards curve?

posted: 6 Jul 2011 20:14

Nigel Brown

Looks fine to me. If you've got the room, no problem with long platforms. Depending on how you organise the traffic, the odd siding to handle say branch-line goods might be useful.

posted: 6 Jul 2011 22:03

Katier

The long loop is intended to form refuge facilities but you might be right it's insufficient.. open to suggestions without crowding it too much.

posted: 7 Jul 2011 11:40

Nigel Brown

I realised the long loop could be used like that, after my previous posting! Should be fine.

Nigel

posted: 14 Jul 2011 11:09

Katier

Coming close to starting to build this monster, hoping to do all the pointwork myself so I've done a couple of tweaks. Wasn't happy with the mainline heading 'south' so I've straightened it a bit, adjusted the branchline and removed the Double slip. It's now two points end to end and I also as a result tweaked the MPD.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020