author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Jul 2011 15:48

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All,

Have just done some research trying to find out details of the turntable which used to be located at Birmingham New Street Station, and I was directed to an archive source of Cowans Sheldon drawings.

The archive is held by the Cumbria County Council Archive department, and copies of the drawings can be purchased from them.

I had the following email details from the Cumbria CC regarding their web site:

“We can certainly make copies of the plans for you.  Due to their size (generally A0) these would be copied digitally.  Our digital copying charges are £40.00 for an A0 copy; £30.00 for A1; £20.00 for A2 and £5.50 for A3.  Alternatively, you can purchase a digital camera licence (£5.00 per day) and photograph the plans yourself.”

“Further details about this service are on our web pages at http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives  Please select the link ‘Research Service’ from the left hand side of the home page.  It is also possible to view the catalogued part of the DB 40 collection through our on-line catalogue CASCAT; please select the link ‘Catalogues’.”

I have made a complete list, from information received, of all the available drawings known to date, which also includes a very large list of the drawings not yet catalogued on-line, this complete list is attached below in the form of a PDF file, be warned it is very extensive, some 209 pages long.

My hope is, that it will be of interest to other members.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.
Attachment: attach_1128_1562_list_of_cowans_sheldon_archive_drawings_from_cumbria_cc.pdf 3471

posted: 14 Jul 2011 20:56

phileakins

Swanage - United Kingdom

Thank you Brian - excellent work.

Phil

posted: 19 Jul 2011 22:02

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

Brian   Thanks for this. I am doing some research into 15 ton breakdown cranes so seeing the lists has been very useful.   Being new to archive research, can I ask a couple of questions. Looking on the website I can see the on-line documents listed, but wondered where the other documents listed in table 3 are shown? Also are the table 3 documents available to view if one visits the archive in Carlisle?   Regards   David

posted: 20 Jul 2011 00:17

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

David Burton wrote:
Brian   Thanks for this. I am doing some research into 15 ton breakdown cranes so seeing the lists has been very useful.   Being new to archive research, can I ask a couple of questions. Looking on the website I can see the on-line documents listed, but wondered where the other documents listed in table 3 are shown? Also are the table 3 documents available to view if one visits the archive in Carlisle?   Regards   David

Hi David,

To answer your questions, as follows:

1.     Table 3 documents are NOT repeat Not listed on-line, I wrote and asked the archivist if a complete list, other than and or including, all drawing documents related to Cowans Sheldon that the Cumbria CC held in their archive.
I received various printed sheets over several days with list’s, and I then compiled a single document with all the list’s combined, so that everything would be in one place.
As far as I know my list contains information on all the documents that the Cumbria CC holds to date.
I cannot say that other documents may exist in their files that they have not even looked at yet, I do know from another source, that all the documents were rescued just in time before being disposed of, when Cowans Sheldon went bust.

2. Yes, all the documents can be viewed if and when you visit the library archive, including those not listed on-line.
And as my posted message stated, you can if you wish get a single day camera license from the Cumbria CC, and photograph any of the documents you like.
Alternatively, you can get copies of the drawings at a price, see their web site for full details.

Bye the way, are you aware of the following book:

‘Carlisle’s Crane Makers: The Cowans Sheldon Story” by Alan Earnshaw.

ISBN:  978  1903016045

Price  £9.95

I’ve just ordered a copy myself.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 20 Jul 2011 00:39

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi David,

As a PS to my last message.

If you do intend to go to Carlisle to the library archive, I would suggest you email them first, and tell them you are coming, what date and time if possible, also if you can include a list of the drawings you would like to view, so that the archivist can be prepared and get the drawing out for you, it will save both them and you wasting time.
Also it helps the archivist to plan their day, and give you their full attention.
You can leave the email open-ended, so to speak, by saying, that there may be other drawings you would like to see, depending upon what you find whilst looking at those you have stated in your email, this keeps the library happy and you will find you should get good service when you get there.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 20 Jul 2011 09:39

David Burton

Crewe - United Kingdom

Brian

Thanks once again for the information, especially the helpful advice on preparing for a visit. I am planning to go next week so will let the archive know beforehand. I will let you know how I get on.

Can I also thank you for all your efforts in contacting the archive in the first place, compiling the lists and making it available to everyone here on the Templot Forum. I am sure it has been much appreciated by others as well as me.

Regards

David

posted: 20 Jul 2011 15:16

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi David,

To say your are very welcome, seems a little inadequate, it gives me great pleasure in being able to help others where possible, and I am delighted that my posting as been of such interest.

I note from your Templot ID, you are located at Crewe, that makes me wonder what has happened to all the LNWR, LMS drawings that were done at the large locomotive works there, where have they all gone.
Were we lucky enough, as in the case of Cowans Sheldon, that the drawings from the Crewe works have been archived somewhere, or have they gone forever, who knows ?

Do please let me know how you get on at Carlisle.

Anyhow, it’s been a pleasure.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 28 Dec 2011 17:35

GNR(Ireland)

Dublin - Ireland

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the information on the Cowans Sheldon archives. This is really helpful. I have been searching for information of wagon and loco turntables as supplied to the GNR(I) for some time, and this is pure gold dust!

Kind regards,

Derek

posted: 29 Dec 2011 01:03

AlanD

Another "Thank you" Brian,

Victorian Railways (Australia)used Cowans Sheldon Turntables both electric & man-powered. Your research has now brought to light a 60 ton steam breakdown crane built for Victorian Railways

Your PDF also contains references to other Australian States' Railways.

With your permission I would like to share your information with other serious modellers Down-under.

Best,

Aland

posted: 18 Jan 2012 00:18

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

AlanD wrote:
With your permission I would like to share your information with other serious modellers Down-under.

Hi Alan,

Apologies for not responding sooner, but have not had may PC on for the last 3 to 4 weeks, due to family matters.

By all means share the Cowans Sheldon data with however you like, that’s the reason I posted it.

A few words of advice though, since I published it, I have been in touch with the Cumbria County Council Archive department, and actually bought copies of some of the drawings which are very good quality.

The archivist there has recently informed me that they are know making a concerted effort to catalogue properly all the drawings they have.
In doing so, they have discovered that some drawing numbers are missing, however this does not necessarily mean they are not there, just that they were not in the expected place.

I shall be keeping in touch with the archivist for an updated list some time in the near future, when they have completed all the cataloguing.

Bye the way, my sister lives in Sydney.

All the best,

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 21 Jan 2012 23:19

GNR(Ireland)

Dublin - Ireland

Hi All,

I visited the Archives last Thursday week. The staff were very pleasant and helpful, and the drawings are excellent. The £5 daily photography fee is well worthwhile. However, please note a (very) few drawings are not correctly numbered or not in the file as listed. If you can, do check before you buy!

Kind regards,
Derek

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Cowans Sheldon Drawing Archive Found
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020