topic: 1594Duplicates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Aug 2011 07:21

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Has anyone else found that templates keep duplicating, sometime three or four times for, so far as I can see, no apparent reason?

Regards

Raymond

posted: 22 Aug 2011 08:44

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Raymond wrote:
Has anyone else found that templates keep duplicating, sometime three or four times for, so far as I can see, no apparent reason?
Hi Raymond,

Have you been clicking make the control instead of delete to the control ?

I added two new options on the pop-up menu, make the control, and make as a copy . These are mainly for those who find the word "delete" alarming, although they can be a time saver for everyone.

As with all tools containing the word "make", these functions first store the existing control template (even if it is currently hidden). So if you store it yourself beforehand, you will end up with two background templates.

The make the control option is the same as delete to the control, but stores the existing control template first.

The make as a copy option is the same as copy to the control, but stores the existing control template first.

You may find it better to stick to using either these new options, or the old ones, but not mix them up. If you change to Quick mode, the old ones are greyed out.

If that's not the reason for the duplicates, can you say a bit more about the circumstances in which they arise?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Aug 2011 09:10

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

No, I am not using the make command but the delete command, (it doe snot faze me) usually with the mouse.

Regards

Raymond

posted: 22 Aug 2011 09:53

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Hi

I've occasionally found the same thing. It happened recently, I created a length of plain track and stored it to the background. I then went back to it five minutes later to shove some timbers. I deleted it to the control again and started shoving. At that point I noticed other timbers underneath the ones I was shoving on a background template which was an exact duplicate of the one I was working on. I moved to delete it and discovered there were actually three others, four in total, one on top of the other.

Regards

Alan

posted: 22 Aug 2011 10:46

Les G

I too have noticed this, and assumed I was doing something incorrectly. The problem is that the duplicated templates appear precisely one on top of the other which makes them less noticeable and trickier to select for deletion. Some CAD packages solve that aspect by providing for repeated duplicates being off-set from the original. I wonder if that would be feasible in Templot?
An option to de-select such off-set values from a template screen position could, perhaps, be useful to restore a copy to the desired location.
regards
Les G

posted: 22 Aug 2011 10:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Les G wrote:
The problem is that the duplicated templates appear precisely one on top of the other which makes them less noticeable and trickier to select for deletion.
Hi Les,

When templates are superimposed and cannot easily be selected by clicking on them, hold down the SHIFT key (or put the CAPS LOCK on), and then click on the template's name label.

The labels are initially placed in random positions for this very reason.

Some CAD packages solve that aspect by providing for repeated duplicates being off-set from the original. I wonder if that would be feasible in Templot?
It's feasible but doesn't make much sense if the templates are part of a track plan. There isn't normally any reason to have two identical templates.

It seems there may be a problem in storing templates, although so far I have been unable to reproduce it here.

Can anyone provide a recipe to make this happen?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Aug 2011 12:37

Les G

Martin,
Thanks for the pointer about differentiating templates. I think that I need to look again at how templates are created/stored so that unwanted duplicates are avoided.

regards
Les

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020