Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1608Cheddar (ish) in P4
author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Aug 2011 14:01

Rich Pedder

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am currently in the process of drawing up a track plan for my new layout based upon Cheddar station.
Still need to do the fine editing of sleeper positions etc, but would welcome any comment on areas to fix/improve.

This includes my first attempt at drawing a single slip.
Attachment: attach_1160_1608_Cheddar_mk3.6.box 329

posted: 28 Aug 2011 14:24

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Good attempt but there are a lot of REA B6's and it looks as though you have the room, in over 12 feet length, to do GWR 10 & 12+ foot switches, They would look better for a GW layout and have the correct timber spacings too. Did you follow a plan for this? You have also ommitted to shorten the check rails for your slip on the slip road side. Real, Customize V-crossing, half diamond check rails, shorten turnout road for single slip.

posted: 28 Aug 2011 14:41

Rich Pedder

I've now rectified the slip check rails, thanks for pointing that out.

Regarding the GWR template types, In Templot I see two versions (GWR B which looks very similar to the standard one, and the 10 and 12 etc mentioned. Which of the numbered GWR points are comparable to the B6s I have used so far?

As for the plan, its working from a drawing of the prototypes track plan, with a reasonable amount of selective compression (along with loosing the lower 3 sidings) in order to get it into the 12ft I have available.

posted: 28 Aug 2011 19:17

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

The era are you modelling will depend on the switch type you can use, certainly all the yard turnouts will use GW old type 10 ft switches. The GW flexible switches were not introduced until the 1920 and so would not have been cascaded down to branch lines until the mid thirties at the very least.

The turnouts at Cranmore on the East Somerset Railway still have GW old type switches in place. The only new turnouts are on Network Rail in connection with the quarry traffic which are in flat bottom.

Also GW check/guard rails are shorter than their BR REA counter parts only covering 4 sleepers. Have a look at GWR switch and crossing practice by David Smith available from the Great Western Study Group.

Cheers Phil

posted: 29 Aug 2011 09:24

Rich Pedder

Changes have now been made to get GW 10s in the yard and GW 12s on the through line,
Is there anything GW specific that would need to be changed on the single slip?

Updated file now attached.

Thanks for the help so far.
Attachment: attach_1161_1608_Cheddar_mk4.0.box 280

posted: 29 Aug 2011 09:32

Phil O

Looking good all you have to do is shorten the checks by about a sleeper. :thumb:

Cheers Phil

posted: 30 Aug 2011 21:31

Rich Pedder

There is one more thing I am struggling with,
the check rails on the diamond opposite the slip are fouling the inner slip rail.

I see in the manual something about changing the K check rails, but I havent managed to get results.

posted: 2 Sep 2011 16:44

Phil O

Hi Rich

Rich Pedder wrote:
There is one more thing I am struggling with,
the check rails on the diamond opposite the slip are fouling the inner slip rail.

I see in the manual something about changing the K check rails, but I havent managed to get results.
I have had a look at your single compound and there is not much interference between the K checks and the slip road. I this case the GW would plain about 1/2" off the top of the corner of the check. See the attached photo.

38_021138_430000000.jpg38_021138_430000000.jpg

The little red circle at the top towards the left shows a little bit of the planing. The photo was taken for the chair rather than the check rail.

HTH

Phil

posted: 2 Sep 2011 17:00

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Phil O wrote:
I have had a look at your single compound and there is not much interference between the K checks and the slip road. I this case the GW would plain about 1/2" off the top of the corner of the check. See the attached photo.
Hi Phil,

Many thanks for the pic.

Just to explain, that's done so that as the slip road running rail wears down, the outer edge of the wheels will not catch on the nearby check rail. Check rails don't wear on the top, so they eventually stand proud of worn running rails.

The machined off corners can seem puzzling when the track is new. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Cheddar (ish) in P4
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020