author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Sep 2011 01:52

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi

Does anyone know if I can "fool" the printer to print out on a piece of "double length" A4 - ie a piece of A3 cut down the centre of its long dimension, as this would probably be big enough for the largest of my single templates, without the expense of buying an A3 printer.

Similarly is there anything I might need to "fiddle" in the Templot print settings?

Any ideas (or different solutions?)

best wishes

Richard

posted: 14 Sep 2011 06:49

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Nothing needs to be fooled or fiddled. 'Tiling' of templates is taken care of automatically by Templot. A long template will be printed on two or more A4 sheets which will butt up perfectly to each other once the small margin is removed. Few of us have an A3 printer but all of us can print out our masterpieces on our A4 machines!

posted: 14 Sep 2011 15:07

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Richard_Jones wrote:
Does anyone know if I can "fool" the printer to print out on a piece of "double length" A4 - ie a piece of A3 cut down the centre of its long dimension, as this would probably be big enough for the largest of my single templates, without the expense of buying an A3 printer.
Hi Richard,

I am not familiar with the Canon PIXMA iP4300 Printer, but I find most printers these days have a paper roll facility, either already fitted or can be attached to the back of the casing, I know my old Epson photo stylus series 700 did.

So therefore your printer software should have an option in the menu to select for paper roll printing, instead of sheet feed.

Give it a try, you may find you will have to feed the paper into the printer through a different opening which is normally for the paper roll feed input, then again may be not, otherwise. As Dave Summers has said, A4 template prints from Templot butt together perfectly well.

HTH.

Brian Nicholls.

posted: 14 Sep 2011 16:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Richard_Jones wrote:
Hi Richard,

print > banner / roll paper menu option.

Then read the help notes on the confirm dialog. Here they are:

Banner  Paper / Roll  Paper  Printing

If your printer is capable of printing continuous banners on Z-fold or roll paper this can usefully eliminate most (or all) of the page-joins for a large printed template.

You must set up the printer for banner or roll paper printing. Templot cannot make these settings for you.

( Refer to your printer documentation. It will probably be necessary to click a button or tab marked OPTIONS or SETUP or PROPERTIES or FEATURES in the printer setup window to find the banner or roll paper settings. It may also be necessary to move a switch or lever on the printer itself when loading the banner paper.)

Note that for Z-fold paper it is important that the paper size is set correctly. This paper is more commonly available in US Letter size (11in x 8.5in) than A4.

Because of the effects of the printer calibration, and manufacturing tolerances on the paper size, it is unlikely that the printed page alignment marks will exactly coincide with the folds in Z-fold paper. This does not affect the accuracy of the printed templates.

If you are using Z-fold computer listing paper as banner paper, you can prevent printing through the sprocket holes by adjusting the trim margins. Click the PRINT > TRIM MARGINS > ? TRIM MARGINS HELP menu item for more information.

For continuous banner printing an accurate printer calibration is especially important to maintain accuracy over long print runs. Remember to do a separate calibration for the banner paper which you are using. For more information click the PRINT > PRINTER CALIBRATION > CALIBRATE PRINTER... menu item.

When printing on single sheets of paper Templot ignores any empty (blank) pages and prints only the pages of your drawing which actually contain track.

If the BANNER FILL option box on the print pages window is ticked, any such empty pages will be included in the print run when printing on banner or roll paper, so that no lengthwise page joins are needed.

Bear in mind that for some track plans this could mean printing a great many blank pages (e.g. for a circular layout you would be printing blank pages to fill the whole of the centre space).

In such cases you will probably want to untick the box and separate out the individual pages from the banner print run.

This option box has no effect when printing on single sheets.

N.B. Do not change to BANNER / ROLL PAPER printing in Templot without making the corresponding banner settings for the printer. If you leave the printer set for single sheets you will lose the top and bottom trim margins and be unable to join the pages accurately.

For Templot to print templates on banner paper correctly it is necessary to select Upright / Portrait printing on all standard printers.

For more information click the ? HELP button on the PRINT PAGES window when it appears.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2011 21:08

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
You must set up the printer for banner or roll paper printing. Templot cannot make these settings for you.
I do not know anything about Canon printers but I have an Epson (9" wide) ink jet printer and an HP (13" wide) ink jet printer. The HP is equipped to handle roll paper - when a roll is loaded it automatically disables the sheet feeder. Earlier versions of the drivers for these printers had the banner or roll settings just as Martin has explained. However, the latest versions of both of these printers have removed that option and substituted the ability to specify a "custom size" of paper. the custom width is limited to the maximum width of the printer but the length can be anything that you want. I am sure that there is some limit but I have not found it. Both of these printers are happy with a sheet length of 96".

Glen

posted: 15 Sep 2011 19:43

Chris Mitton

Glen Suckling wrote:
However, the latest versions of both of these printers have removed that option and substituted the ability to specify a "custom size" of paper. the custom width is limited to the maximum width of the printer but the length can be anything that you want. I am sure that there is some limit but I have not found it. Both of these printers are happy with a sheet length of 96".

Glen
When I printed out the final roll-print version of my embryonic layout Stowe Fen, which will be about seven metres long (the length of my loft), I found that Windows (not the printer driver) refused to allow a page size more than five metres long.   That was in XP Pro, and I suspect it's something to do with the maximum pixel size of a window.  It might be bigger in Win7 for all I know.....

Even so, I found it a tremendous advantage being able to print virtually the entire layout (fiddle yard excepted) on one sheet, plonk it all on the baseboard without tedious alignment problems, and start building.....I did take the precaution of printing a second copy on which to mark power feeds, electrical sectioning and the like, before the plan disappeared under thirty metres or so of track!   Incidentally, having gone through all Martin's calibration tests thoroughly, the discrepancy between the plan length and the actual baseboard length was about half a millimetre over five metres, which I thought was pretty impressive!

Chris

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Canon PIXMA iP4300 Printer
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020