Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1667TDV Sketchboard
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Oct 2011 06:47

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin. I have eventually started playing around with the TDV and am quite excited about some of the new features. :thumb:

I'm learning as I go along and currently working on the Sketchboard.  I managed to create one item and even placed it in the right position, but can't seem to move forward on a second one.  Created the shape and as far as I know I have the item selected, but when clicking on 'Modify item' it is saying nothing is selected.

Apologies if I'm missing something.  Any chance you can point me in the right direction?

When creating an 'L' shape item, should I do that as two seperate rectangles or try and draw it as a polygon?

PS.  The branch has been added as you suggested.  I had to take out six storage roads, but it will be better for it.  Thanks. :thumb:

479_270140_230000000.png479_270140_230000000.png

Last edited on 27 Oct 2011 06:48 by Gordon S
posted: 27 Oct 2011 08:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
I'm learning as I go along and currently working on the Sketchboard.  I managed to create one item and even placed it in the right position, but can't seem to move forward on a second one.  Created the shape and as far as I know I have the item selected, but when clicking on 'Modify item' it is saying nothing is selected.

When creating an 'L' shape item, should I do that as two separate rectangles or try and draw it as a polygon?
Hi Gordon,

That looks a bit odd. :? With a rectangle selected it should be showing in the modify tab. Try clicking off the rectangle and then clicking on it again. Try clicking the OK button and then clicking the modify item tab again. Try hiding and then showing the control panel. Can you select and modify the first rectangle ok? Can you create and modify a third item?

For an L shape it is up to you. You can combine several separate rectangles. This makes it easier to split them later and adjust each one separately if needed. To get a neat result you may want to create further rectangles without an outline (border) to blank over sections of the first outlines. The whole lot can then be combined and adjusted as one -- edit > combine items menu item.

Or you can create a square polygon. Click each corner as you go. You can undo as you go by pressing DELETE key repeatedly. To join the end back to the start press the X and/or Y keys. Then press the ENTER key or SPACEBAR to finish. To create an angled edge, hold down the CTRL key while clicking.

Using a square polygon is much quicker to produce a neat complex shape, and change the colours and fill transparency. But on the other hand it is not possible to change the shape outline afterwards, you have to start again. You might want to rough out the shape using rectangles, as a guide, and then draw a square polygon over the top. You can then delete the rectangles.

p.s. A square polygon starts life as an empty outline only. To select it for filling, moving, rotation, etc., grab it for moving, etc., you must click on the outline itself, not the empty space inside. Watch for the mouse pointer changing to a grab hand. This applies to all sketchboard items. For example to select a text item you must click on an actual letter, not the space between them or inside a letter O.

"Click on the ink" is the idea. :) 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Oct 2011 09:00

Gordon S

Thanks Martin. I have no idea what you did, but it worked. I closed TDV down and reopened it and all seems to be fine now. Weird?

Thanks for the tips on drawings etc. Very helpful.:thumb:

posted: 27 Oct 2011 09:09

Gordon S

Another quick question....:D

For some reason the layout has slid up the screen and left the top foot or so out of the pic.  How to I place it so the whole layout is visible?  Superb service/support as usual.  :thumb:

479_270409_140000000.png479_270409_140000000.png

posted: 27 Oct 2011 10:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
Another quick question....:D

For some reason the layout has slid up the screen and left the top foot or so out of the pic.  How to I place it so the whole layout is visible?
Hi Gordon,

1. On the trackplan tab,

2. select the boundary rectangle option, and then

3. click the draw new rectangle on workpad button:

2_270535_050000000.png2_270535_050000000.png

Templot will swap back to the workpad. Draw a boundary rectangle around your track plan large enough to contain all your intended scenic items.

If you need to zoom out first, you can get back to drawing the rectangle by clicking the top boundary rectangle tool-button -- it's the 4th item from the left at the top of the workpad. Or the sketchboard > draw boundary rectangle menu item on the workpad.

When you return to the sketchboard, it should update to fit your rectangle within the page. If not, click the update now button on the above tab.

The same rectangle can be used when exporting image files of your track plan. There are some mouse actions to adjust the rectangle if needed, at action > mouse actions: workpad > output boundary rectangle: menu items. Or you can simply draw a new one.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Oct 2011 13:36

Gordon S

Thanks Martin, perfick!

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020