topic: 1676Check rails etc.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Nov 2011 13:06

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Now that I have mastered (not that it is complicated) this useful addition I have to say that it simplifies and speeds up the process a great deal with the added bonus that far fewer partial templates are required for complex formations.  It was particularly useful in producing the 1:4 outside slip.

Thank you and well done Martin.

Regards   Raymond

posted: 12 Nov 2011 09:05

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Raymond wrote:
Thank you and well done Martin.
Thanks Raymond. An easier means of adjusting check rails was long overdue. It has beaten me twice in the past, so I'm quite pleased that it seems to be ok now.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Dec 2011 16:44

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Just passing through...

I think I've found a bug on the check rail adjustments(Ctrl-Shift-F9) that only applies to irregular diamonds, and only on DS2.  Basically, if you try to adjust the flared length you get unexpected results - the rail length seems to change but the flared length doesn't.  It also doesn't seem to always remember what you typed!  So, for example, if you set a silly length of 2" (prototype) it shows 4" in the dialogue box, but actually seems to be about the 42" I started with.  The longer I make the flared length, the shorter the rail length gets.  Using the mouse actions, flare length and rail length do exactly the same thing, which is to adjust the rail length.  Setting the flare length to zero does work though.

I've tried this with regular diamonds, straight and curved, and there's no problem there - it just seems to be DS2 on irregular diamonds.

This ability to adjust check rails independently is absolutely brilliant - the number of partial templates reduces massively.  I have a short angle diamond in one plan with a 42" flare on the MS check rail and 12" on the TS check rail - all done in one template now!

Cheers

(Forgot to mention that this is on the latest TDV 4703)

Last edited on 11 Dec 2011 16:48 by Paul Boyd
posted: 11 Dec 2011 17:34

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for finding that. :thumb:

It's actually on both DS1 and DS2 flare length not working properly when the half-diamond is irregular and the V-crossing is curviform.

I will get it fixed.

It's complicated because all 3 adjustments are inter-related to prevent geometrical impossibilities -- the flare length cannot be set less than the end gap obviously. Or conversely the end gap cannot be set more than the flare length. In practice I have limited the flare angle to about 40 degrees to be safe.

p.s. Welcome back. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 11 Dec 2011 23:12

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Fixed in the next TDV update.

It was deep in the check rail code and took me an hour or two to find. Spot the difference:

Wrong:

case get_flare_type(ccd.end_diff_te.type_diff) of
  1: cuckendox:=cuckendx+j*SIN(k3+k10+k9-k5_te);
else cuckendox:=cuckendx+(j+fw-fw_end-ccd.end_diff_te.gap_diff)*SIN(k3+k10+k9);

Right:

case get_flare_type(ccd.end_diff_te.type_diff) of
  1: cuckendox:=cuckendx+j*SIN(k3+k10+k11-k5_te);
else cuckendox:=cuckendx+(j+fw-fw_end-ccd.end_diff_te.gap_diff)*SIN(k3+k10+k11);

:)

Thanks again for reporting it. :thumb:

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Dec 2011 18:10

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Fixed in the next TDV update.
Is the same bit of code used in curviform turnouts, as well as irregular diamonds?  :?

I had to look carefully at the code to spot the difference!  It's ages since I did any coding.

p.s. Welcome back. :)
Thanks - but I'll be around less often, I think!  I did pop into the forum from time to time to see what's doing.

Cheers

posted: 22 Mar 2012 19:32

mike47j

I'm trying to put a scissors crossing into a space that's apparently too small. The problem is getting the check rails in. The check rail adjustments(Ctrl-Shift-F9) makes it much easier to try things.

When there is limited space, is a check rail ever machined on both sides ?

Thanks
Mike Johnson

posted: 22 Mar 2012 20:18

Martin Wynne

mike47j wrote:
When there is limited space, is a check rail ever machined on both sides ?
Hi Mike,

Yes. See for example this pic on the Scalefour Soc. site:

http://www.scalefour.org/resources/trackdetail/chairs04.html

Another important consideration is that wheels must never contact the top of a check rail. If that is possible, for example at the ends of the K-crossing check rail in a slip, the top of the check rail is machined down to clear. Usually by 1/4". The reason is that as the running rail wears down, the wheels could hit and damage a renewed or replaced full-height check rail. I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to.

See it I mean. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Mar 2012 22:15

Paul Boyd

Ahem!
I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to. See it I mean. :)
Machined rail top modelled here.  It's a bit more than 3 thou, so you might be able to see it :D

posted: 23 Mar 2012 08:26

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Paul
Ahem!
I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to. See it I mean. :)
Machined rail top modelled here.  It's a bit more than 3 thou, so you might be able to see it :D

Yeah I can see it, whether you could see it from usual viewing angles and distances is probably less likely, but it's nice to know it's there.

Cheers Phil. :D

posted: 23 Mar 2012 09:12

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Ahem!
That's looking very good Paul.

I didn't think I would get away with that statement for long. :)

Martin.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020