click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab
Templot club top logo
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Development doings > Check rails etc.
Templot web site

Check rails etc.

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 4 Nov 2011 12:06
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Raymond
Bexhill-on-sea, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Now that I have mastered (not that it is complicated) this useful addition I have to say that it simplifies and speeds up the process a great deal with the added bonus that far fewer partial templates are required for complex formations.  It was particularly useful in producing the 1:4 outside slip.

Thank you and well done Martin.

Regards   Raymond

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 12 Nov 2011 08:05
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Raymond wrote:Thank you and well done Martin.Thanks Raymond. An easier means of adjusting check rails was long overdue. It has beaten me twice in the past, so I'm quite pleased that it seems to be ok now.

regards,

Martin.

3rd message | this message only posted: 11 Dec 2011 15:44
Paul Boyd
Loughborough, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin

Just passing through...

I think I've found a bug on the check rail adjustments(Ctrl-Shift-F9) that only applies to irregular diamonds, and only on DS2.  Basically, if you try to adjust the flared length you get unexpected results - the rail length seems to change but the flared length doesn't.  It also doesn't seem to always remember what you typed!  So, for example, if you set a silly length of 2" (prototype) it shows 4" in the dialogue box, but actually seems to be about the 42" I started with.  The longer I make the flared length, the shorter the rail length gets.  Using the mouse actions, flare length and rail length do exactly the same thing, which is to adjust the rail length.  Setting the flare length to zero does work though.

I've tried this with regular diamonds, straight and curved, and there's no problem there - it just seems to be DS2 on irregular diamonds.

This ability to adjust check rails independently is absolutely brilliant - the number of partial templates reduces massively.  I have a short angle diamond in one plan with a 42" flare on the MS check rail and 12" on the TS check rail - all done in one template now!

Cheers

(Forgot to mention that this is on the latest TDV 4703)

4th message | this message only posted: 11 Dec 2011 16:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for finding that. :thumb:

It's actually on both DS1 and DS2 flare length not working properly when the half-diamond is irregular and the V-crossing is curviform.

I will get it fixed.

It's complicated because all 3 adjustments are inter-related to prevent geometrical impossibilities -- the flare length cannot be set less than the end gap obviously. Or conversely the end gap cannot be set more than the flare length. In practice I have limited the flare angle to about 40 degrees to be safe.

p.s. Welcome back. :)

regards,

Martin.

5th message | this message only posted: 11 Dec 2011 22:12
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Paul,

Fixed in the next TDV update.

It was deep in the check rail code and took me an hour or two to find. Spot the difference:

Wrong:

case get_flare_type(ccd.end_diff_te.type_diff) of
  1: cuckendox:=cuckendx+j*SIN(k3+k10+k9-k5_te);
else cuckendox:=cuckendx+(j+fw-fw_end-ccd.end_diff_te.gap_diff)*SIN(k3+k10+k9);

Right:

case get_flare_type(ccd.end_diff_te.type_diff) of
  1: cuckendox:=cuckendx+j*SIN(k3+k10+k11-k5_te);
else cuckendox:=cuckendx+(j+fw-fw_end-ccd.end_diff_te.gap_diff)*SIN(k3+k10+k11);

:)

Thanks again for reporting it. :thumb:

regards,

Martin.

6th message | this message only posted: 12 Dec 2011 17:10
Paul Boyd

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin
Fixed in the next TDV update.Is the same bit of code used in curviform turnouts, as well as irregular diamonds?  :?

I had to look carefully at the code to spot the difference!  It's ages since I did any coding.

p.s. Welcome back. :)Thanks - but I'll be around less often, I think!  I did pop into the forum from time to time to see what's doing.

Cheers

7th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2012 18:32
mike47j

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I'm trying to put a scissors crossing into a space that's apparently too small. The problem is getting the check rails in. The check rail adjustments(Ctrl-Shift-F9) makes it much easier to try things.

When there is limited space, is a check rail ever machined on both sides ?

Thanks
Mike Johnson

8th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2012 19:18
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

mike47j wrote:When there is limited space, is a check rail ever machined on both sides ?Hi Mike,

Yes. See for example this pic on the Scalefour Soc. site:

http://www.scalefour.org/resources/trackdetail/chairs04.html

Another important consideration is that wheels must never contact the top of a check rail. If that is possible, for example at the ends of the K-crossing check rail in a slip, the top of the check rail is machined down to clear. Usually by 1/4". The reason is that as the running rail wears down, the wheels could hit and damage a renewed or replaced full-height check rail. I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to.

See it I mean. :)

regards,

Martin.

9th message | this message only posted: 22 Mar 2012 21:15
Paul Boyd

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Ahem!
I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to. See it I mean. :) Machined rail top modelled here.  It's a bit more than 3 thou, so you might be able to see it :D

10th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2012 07:26
Phil O
Plymouth, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi PaulAhem!
I've never seen that machining modelled, but as 1/4" is only 3 thou in 4mm scale I'm not likely to. See it I mean. :) Machined rail top modelled here.  It's a bit more than 3 thou, so you might be able to see it :D

Yeah I can see it, whether you could see it from usual viewing angles and distances is probably less likely, but it's nice to know it's there.

Cheers Phil. :D

11th message | this message only posted: 23 Mar 2012 08:12
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Paul Boyd wrote: Ahem!That's looking very good Paul.

I didn't think I would get away with that statement for long. :)

Martin.

This is topic ID = 1676     Page created at 05:42 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Development doings > Check rails etc.
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Old Templot Companion Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines only

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2018