topic: 1694Twisting Bonus Timbers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Nov 2011 11:36

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I think I've found a fault - probably not, since there is probably a good reason. :D

But I was using the TDV on a small layout plan to shove the timbers to tidy up some turnouts.  On one turnout which was lying roughly horizontal with the switch to the right,  I added a bonus timber to add to the left hand end.   I moved the bonus timber along to the left beyond the crossing asnd it was actually at the wrong angle - it had assumed the position for equalised and the actual turnout has square on timbers.  So I tried to correct its angle using "Twist" but the timber rotated around a centre some distance to the right - approximately half way back along the turnout.   I also tried the CW/ACW finction with the same results.   I tried some of the other non-bonus timbers and they twisted around the centre points of the timbers,  as I expected.   I thought this might be a problem in the TDV,  so went back to 0.91c to find that exactly the same thing happened with the same template.  Is this a fault,  or is there a reason? :)

Jim.
Last edited on 23 Nov 2011 11:36 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 23 Nov 2011 12:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Jim,

I think you moved the bonus timber into position using the crab mouse action. :)

Try instead using the along mouse action to move a timber along the template. It should then twist about its nominal centre.

The crab function is intended to be used only after a timber has been twisted.

I can't disable crab when there is no twist present, because it is sometimes useful on equalized (skewed) timbers which have not yet been shoved. 

This subject also came up recently in connection with curving -- see:

topic 1598

Thanks for the report. :thumb: I will look at adding some extra help notes.

p.s. The throw function works similarly to crab, if a timber is twisted after being thrown a long way. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2011 13:50

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

I tend to use "Crab" all the time. :D

Jim.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Twisting Bonus Timbers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020