topic: 1712Print command failing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Dec 2011 21:21

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
It's not my night....:)

Martin, this has happened several times in the past few weeks.  I'm using groups and highlight say 20  pieces of track.  I then use print/group and this message comes up.

479_011611_530000000.jpg479_011611_530000000.jpg

This stops everything and I cannot print.  Typically it will be when I wish to print between 50 and 80 sheets.  Closing this down, gets Templot running again but as soon as you go try and print again, the message is "Invalid request.  The printer is in use".

It completely locks out access to my printer and the only was I can get going again is to close Templot and start the process all over again.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, so I may have to repeat the process several times.  I also have to unplug my printer both power and USB connections and essentially reboot the whole thing.

Any ideas?

I'm on XP SP3.  I had some problems with the Fox Reader so had to remove it.  Anything to do with that?
Last edited on 1 Dec 2011 21:22 by Gordon S
posted: 1 Dec 2011 22:13

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Gordon,

The program which is crashing is ntdll.dll

This is a core part of the Windows operating system. It is not accessed directly by Templot but is typically used by antivirus programs and printer drivers. It is also used by Internet Explorer and some IE add-ons.

The problem you are seeing is caused by an issue with the printer driver. It may not be the printer driver itself, it may be conflicting with antivirus programs or other programs which scan your system. That's why it happens intermittently. The reason Templot says that the printer is in use is because the previous print job failed to finish. After restarting, cancel any documents in the printer queue.

I don't know if Foxit Reader accesses ntdll.dll but I can't see any reason that it would need to. I have used it extensively without any problems. What was the problem?

A bit of Googling reveals the prime suspects:

Norton antivirus. A terrible program which is notoriously invasive and difficult to uninstall.

Internet Explorer. If you are using this instead of a proper browser, try removing or disabling any add-ons, and reset the IE defaults. Don't leave it running while printing.

None of this is directly relevant to Templot -- the reason you are seeing it with Templot is that you probably don't often print 50 pages in one go from any other program. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2011 23:04

Gordon S

Thanks Martin. I'm just off to bed so will check it out tomorrow.

posted: 2 Dec 2011 09:16

Gordon S

Thanks Martin.  I removed the Foxit reader as my wife had problems getting it to automatically open to read pdf files.  I had set it as a default, but couldn't find how to add it to Internet Explorer as an add on to read web based pdf's.  I was busy at the time so just uninstalled it and reset the default to Adobe.  Nothing wrong with the programme, just needed more time to set it up properly.

OK, going back to this print issue.  I'm your worst nightmare as I have both Internet Explorer and Norton Security.  My wife and I have used them for years and we're both creatures of habit who use IT extensively, but see it as an tool rather than something where we need the latest gismo or software.  It's the same reason why we never text and our mobiles are always switched off other than when we want to make calls.  To counter that though, I'm bang up to speed with cars and hifi was a passion of mine for many, many years.  I suppose I'm still a techie at heart, but only things that really interest me.

Anyway, back to the issue.  It occurred to me last night I am using two versions of Templot and have done some work in the TDV and then saved it as a box file in the normal version.  I do this to keep them all in one place and then to use the generator, which is greyed out in the TDV.  It is possible I may have had both versions of Templot open at the same time.

All of this is just background info and I know the issue is not with Templot, but it may give you an idea of what the issue is.  I'll start by disabling all the add ons and then work from there.  I'll install a new print driver and keep a check on things.  Of course this is the same printer that misses off odd pieces of track from plans, so clearly something is suspect somewhere.  Finding it is the hard bit....

posted: 2 Dec 2011 09:35

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
then to use the generator, which is greyed out in the TDV.
Hi Gordon,

main > enable generator menu

Just turn it back on when you want it.

I greyed it out to prevent beginners using it as part of their track design, and then wondering why the settings don't get saved.

You can't win. :)

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2011 10:02

Gordon S

That explains a lot Martin. Thanks!

posted: 2 Dec 2011 10:16

Gordon S

I must be going daft. I've enabled the generator in the TDV, but the option for trackbed widths in the generator settings menu is not there. Has this been removed or moved elsewhere?

posted: 2 Dec 2011 10:58

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
I must be going daft. I've enabled the generator in the TDV, but the option for trackbed widths in the generator settings menu is not there. Has this been removed or moved elsewhere?
Hi Gordon,

You have read through the change notes for TDV? :)

The trackbed edge settings are now specific to each template and saved in the .box file. Each edge can be turned on or off independently on each template, and the width changed for each template -- more info at geometry > ? trackbed - help menu item.

There is a rebuild function to allow fast transfer of the settings to a group of templates or to an entire track plan. The trackbed edge settings were previously a generator setting, so this function replaces that functionality: geometry > modify group to match menu item.

2_291125_420000000.png2_291125_420000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2011 13:25

Gordon S

Martin Wynne wrote:
Gordon S wrote:
Hi Gordon,

You have read through the change notes for TDV? :)

I thought I had, but must have missed that bit...:cool:

I guess you've done that for a reason, but I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable to comment if this is a good thing.  I assume it must be, or you wouldn't have done it.

The track bed width feature is invaluable for me, particularly as I've just started building platforms.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Print command failing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020