topic: 1725Dale Junction
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Dec 2011 11:28

PeterD

Waterlooville - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am very impressed with the TDV. I am in the process of designing a new layout on three 7' x 2'6" baseboards to connect with an existing layout at the other side of my railway shed. I previously used templot to create turnouts but thought I would have a go at using transition curves as a starting point. The feature of creating irregular diamonds on transition curves makes all the difference and is so easy to achieve.

I also used 'Shapes' to create the outline dimensions of structures I intend to build. Overlaid these shapes within 'Sketchboard', with appropriate labels and have started to create the plan for the layout. All simple to do.

2184_130621_170000000.jpg2184_130621_170000000.jpg

The two diamond crossings will be converted to double slips later when I am satisfied with the track plan.

This brings me on to the reason for posting this topic. I would welcome your views on this track plan at this early stage.

Thank you for viewing.

Peter

posted: 17 Dec 2011 11:56

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Peter.
Since no one else has replied so far I thought I would, although with the monitor I am using it is difficult to see the detail. The overall plan looks OK and workable. The only comments I would make is I presume the switch blades of the crossover nearest the bottom edge are clear of the baseboard joint and to increase the track spacing on the curved double track if you have not already done so to allow for the end and centre throw of the rolling stock. The amount required will depend mainly on the radius.
Tony.

posted: 17 Dec 2011 12:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
The only comments I would make is I presume the switch blades of the crossover nearest the bottom edge are clear of the baseboard joint
Hi Tony, you can see Peter's full-size image in the Gallery by clicking the view full-size link, or:

gallery/2184/original/2184_130621_170000000.jpg

(If your browser resizes it to fit the screen, click on it to expand it and scroll.)

Hi Peter, it does look as if you have a baseboard joint close to the switch blades on the bottom crossover. If you post the .box and bgs files here as attachments it will be easier for everyone to comment. Also you might like to post the .sk9 file from the sketchboard for those using TDV. :)

(Post separate replies for each file.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:34

PeterD

Thanks Martin,

Both Tony and you are correct in the placement of the bottom crossover.
I have attached both the .box and bgs files as you suggest.
I am working on the Sketchboard file and will post that later.
Attachment: attach_1275_1725_dale_junction_v2_2011_12_17_1728_28.box 269

posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:36

PeterD

and the shapes file.
Attachment: attach_1276_1725_dale_junction_v2_11_12_14_0102_59.bgs 262

posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:54

JFS

United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

It looks like it would make a nice station! You don't say much about how you intend to work the layout, but perhaps just a couple of comments on operability.
I notice you have labelled the Platforms Arrival and Departure. However, if you actually were to use them in that sense, it would mean that you would have to shunt via the Main or Branch Lines. From signalling point of view, this would mean "Blocking Back" if you used the inbound (Down?) Main or "Shunt into forward section" if you used the Branch or Outbound Main. (unless you had an Advanced Starting signal quite a long way "round the bend"). Either way, from a model point of view, this means that you need a length of track between the "hidden sidings" (my assumption) and the Home Signals which is at least as long as the platforms and it is not clear from the plan if you have allowed that.

You could get round all of this if the area you currently have marked as "Gas Works" could be given over to carriage sidings (with a suitable adjustment to the layout) of at least the same length as the platforms.

As an alternative, you could shorten the Platform lengths to allow the Main to be long enough to allow the Advanced Starter to be in the "scenic" bit.

The same might also apply to goods trains since you currently would have to run round them in the Branch bay then shunt them out, though in that case, you could get round that issue by providing a cross-over in the yard, or, alternatively, by having a permanent "Station Pilot" to pull the train "off the loco" via the headshunt (for which purpose it could usefully be a bit longer).

Hard experience tells me that using the hidden siding as a shunting neck is a serious no-no!!

Hope the above sounds helpful and not critical:-)

Also, perhaps more of a question than a comment. I notice the facing entry off the Main into the headshunt to the Gas Works Sidings, and I wonder what your thinking is here. Depending on the era when the prototype is supposed to have been built, the Board of trade might frown upon a facing point into a siding (and, as an Arrival Road it is a bit short). On the other hand, a less plausible explanation would this:- if the Junction Trailing Point (the one by the Platform end) were less than 440 yards beyond the home signal AND there were no Outer Home Signal AND you wanted to accept trains on the main and the Branch simultaneously WHEN the other two platforms were occupied, then this facing point could be reversed to provide flank protection for the Junction Point. In this case, it could not be used as a Siding and would need to kept clear to the buffer stops before two trains could be accepted. Such a nonsense would only be worthwhile if "Calling on" arms were provided below the Arrival platform Home Signals to allow one train to arrive "on top" of the other - quite a nice operational feature. You would also need to write some carefully worded "Special instructions" for the Signalmen:-)

The above assumes of course, that the Branch trains will arrive at the Arrivals platform (ie by way of the crossover) and in that case, the Middle Road should have a pair of Catch / Trap / Safety points to protect such moves.

Just regarding the "arrival / departure platform" stuff, I grew up not far from Middleton (ex L&Y). When I knew it, the station was literally falling down, but nonethless, right up until the day it closed, the 2 car DMU would dutifully arrive at one platform, disgorge its one or two passengers then reverse out to cross to the other platform to await the few hardy souls going to Manchester. So your layout has much potential for some interesting shunting of passenger stock!

Hope the above is of interest,

Best Wishes,

Howard.

posted: 17 Dec 2011 20:48

PeterD

Thank you Howard:thumb:

Your comments are just what I was looking for and the detail and explanation are VERY helpful.

The station design is very loosely based on Bath Green Park of S&D fame.

I shall go through your interesting points of operation and will give further feedback later.

posted: 17 Dec 2011 21:20

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Peter.

Tony W wrote:
Hi Peter.
 The only comments I would make is I presume the switch blades of the crossover nearest the bottom edge are clear of the baseboard joint and to increase the track spacing on the curved double track if you have not already done so to allow for the end and centre throw of the rolling stock. The amount required will depend mainly on the radius.
Tony.
Having now looked at the actual track plan I would suggest you shift the crossover a couple of timbers toward the station end to clear the switch blades. I see you have already increased the track centres to 50mm, however to maintain standard clearances between rolling stock on your 28" curves the track centres should really be increased to 57mm.
Tony.

posted: 17 Dec 2011 21:30

PeterD

Thanks Tony,

I am in the process of changing the bottom of the ladder crossing to replace the RH turnout with a single slip. This should remove the need for the troublesome crossover. I intend to use the siding for a carriage siding instead of the Gas Works.

These comments are really good because it is far easier to deal with issues BEFORE building.

I shall deal with the track spacing on the approach curve too.

Best wishes

Peter

posted: 17 Dec 2011 22:45

JFS

United Kingdom

PeterD wrote:
Thank you Howard:thumb:

You are very welcome Peter. One thing I find very helpful early on is to draw out the signal box diagram - this helps you work out what moves can go where. In the example of Middleton that I quoted earlier, the reason the DMU HAD to change platforms was because of the way the layout was signalled of course.

Now you have let the cat out of the bag that you had Bath GP in the back of your mind! Are you aware that PCRail have a signalbox simulation based on it?

http://www.pcrail.co.uk/index.php?pts=simulation&code=I

It is not the best simulation in the world and I can't vouch for its (in)accuracy, but it might help your thinking - especially as it includes some brief details about how to work the layout.

You can download the "sampler" for free.

Warning:- Beware - such computer programmes can be a bit addictive!!

Best Wishes,

Howard.

posted: 20 Dec 2011 20:19

PeterD

Hi all,

Firstly, thanks to those who have replied to this thread. I have taken note of the comments made and re-designed the layout to deal with the comments.

The problem of making sure sufficient room is available to shunt the coaching stock has been dealt with by extending the centre road of the terminus. I had thought of reducing the platform length but this would have meant only 4 coaches and a loco could be accomodated on the arrival departure platforms. Too short for trains arriving at a terminus of this size in steam days.

The curved tracks on the main line have been separated at 58mm centres.

The loco shed is located on the branch line so many light engine movements will take place along this route.

The Goods lines are designed for local use and also for marshalling traffic to/from the branch. The branch being the source of much traffic e.g. coal, farming equipment, livestock etc.

These three baseboards feed onto existing railway track. The main lines feed into storage sidings and a return loop. This is approx 24 ft long. The branch line has an intermediate station and feeds into another terminus with the engine shed etc. The branch being a folded 48 foot route located over the storage sidings.

2184_201501_570000000.jpg2184_201501_570000000.jpg

I have not yet converted the diamond crossings into slips but this will be done later when I am satisfied that this is going to be the final design.

The sketchboard needs to be updated with roads and buildings etc but again, I shall do this when the track layout is finalised.

The box file to follow.

posted: 21 Dec 2011 07:23

PeterD

Box file now attached.

Peter
Attachment: attach_1279_1725_dale_junction_v3_2011_12_20_2326_11.box 238

posted: 28 Dec 2011 10:59

PeterD

After a little more thought, I have modified the layout to provide an up/down lead from the branch to the main lines. The slips have been installed at the ladder crossing leading out from the station area and access for ecs has been provided to the long carriage siding in the station. The whole layout is now 00-SF gauge.

I would be interested in comments on these revisions and also what the minimum curving radius can be with the chosen gauge.

Thank you for your help.

Peter
Attachment: attach_1284_1725_dale_junction_v4_2011_12_27_2132_11.box 246

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020