topic: 1730Proposed Layout : Staircliffe Junction
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Dec 2011 20:55

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
After many months trying to design a workable layout to fit in my garage I have finally arrived at a plan which suits the space available.

It is an imaginary junction on an extension off the Wath branch of the Hull & Barnsley Railway. Such an extension was under consideration in 1901 but ultimately came to nothing. The layout is 17 foot long with two traversers serving the main line and branch to the left of the plan and another traverser serving the mainline on the right.

I would welcome any comments on the feasibility of the design. If there is anything obviously wrong with the plan, constructive criticism would be welcomed. There is still work to be done on shoving timbers but until such time as I'm satisfied with the overall design, that can wait for a later date.
Attachment: attach_1271_1730_STAIRCLIFFE_JUNCTION_v44_7-12-11.box 354

posted: 16 Dec 2011 13:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your track plan. :thumb:

Unfortunately your outside single slip is not buildable as it stands -- the slip switches are too close to the V-crossings. There isn't really room for an outside slip at that location. As the crossing angle is 1:7 you should be able to fit an ordinary inside slip there, without the radius being too sharp.

Adjacent to that you have curved and straight tracks crossing. If you try using the TDV program, you will be able to convert those tracks to a proper irregular diamond-crossing. More about that here:

topic 1731

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Dec 2011 23:38

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi David.
Martin's comment prompted me to down load your file and have a look. I concur. I have had a go at revising it and found a few more issues. As you say the timbering needs sorting out, however it is often the case that when you start to do this you find other problems that mean further adjustments need to be made. I have found yours to be a case in point. When you try to fit the missing diamond in that Martin refers to, you find the placing of the crossing makes the timbering impossible. I have widened the track spacing between the up and down main slightly to 79.96 mm centres. This allows everything fit much better. (Many partial templates later, and something the TDV does for you) The track centres also need to be widened on curves to allow for end and centre throw of vehicles, something often overlooked by modellers. I have done this for you. I have also moved the inner Turnout for the junction back one timber in advance of the outer one, again common practice to widen the track spacing going into a curve. Timbering practise for the Hull and Barnsley is not my fortay so I will leave that to you to sort out, but I hope you find the alterations I have made helpful.
All the Tony.
Attachment: attach_1272_1730_STAIRCLIFFE_JUNCTION_v45_16-12-11.box 284

posted: 17 Dec 2011 12:02

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

David,

You might not want to contemplate this, but why not put the tracks on the upper part of the layout in a large radius curve. It could improve the looks of the layout. It also helps with laying track as well since laying dead straight parallel tracks always invites inspection for the slightest kinks and deviations from parallel, whereas curves can tend to hide a lot of minor deficiencies. :D

Jim.
Last edited on 17 Dec 2011 12:03 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:06

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your comments, which I have taken on board, it looks like some tweaking is called for.

Regards,

Dave

posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:20

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,

Firstly many thanks for taking the time and trouble to view my proposed layout plan. I greatly appreciate your input and am very grateful for the adjustments which you have made to the plan.

Once again it demonstrates the usefulness of putting ones plans up for appraisal to a wider audience and reinforces the old adage that two, or should that be, hundreds of heads are better than one.

Once again Tony many thanks for your constructive input.

Best Wishes,

Dave

posted: 17 Dec 2011 17:29

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your comments relating to curving the Up and Down main lines. It's something I had been contemplating myself, using long transition curves, and like you, I think it would add something to the plan, especially from a viewing perspective.

Regards,

Dave

posted: 18 Jan 2012 16:36

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,

Subsequent to your comments about the errors in my proposed track plan for 'Staircliffe Junction', my proposed Hull & Barnsley layout, errors which you kindly corrected for me, and following on from Jim Guthrie's comments about curving the mainline, something I had considered and have now taken on board, I have now revamped the layout plan to include a locomotive servicing area and turntable as shown in the attached box file.

I still haven't quite got my head around constructing an irregular crossing, so at the moment the plan just shows crossed tracks.

Once again I would be grateful for your comments, or those of any other Templot Club member on the revamped plan.

Best Wishes,

Dave
Attachment: attach_1317_1730_STAIRCLIFFE_JUNCTION_v16_13-01-12.box 259

posted: 19 Jan 2012 16:19

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

David Yates wrote:
Hi Tony,

Subsequent to your comments about the errors in my proposed track plan for 'Staircliffe Junction', my proposed Hull & Barnsley layout, errors which you kindly corrected for me, and following on from Jim Guthrie's comments about curving the mainline, something I had considered and have now taken on board, I have now revamped the layout plan to include a locomotive servicing area and turntable as shown in the attached box file.

I still haven't quite got my head around constructing an irregular crossing, so at the moment the plan just shows crossed tracks.

Once again I would be grateful for your comments, or those of any other Templot Club member on the revamped plan.

Best Wishes,

Dave
Hi,
Will this do? You'll need the latest TDV though.
Attachment: attach_1319_1730_staircliffe_junction_2012_01_19_1710_46.box 273
Last edited on 19 Jan 2012 16:20 by Stephen Freeman
posted: 21 Jan 2012 00:29

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi David.
You still have a lot of timber shoving to do. Attached you will find the 0.91c version of the diamond. I presume the turntable is the length of track that I have put the peg at the mid length position, it seems rather short. The track spacing of the junction makes it difficult to get the timbering exactly right but is as good as I can get. I have made some minor adjustments to achieve a better alignment of the timbers.
Tony.
Attachment: attach_1322_1730_STAIRCLIFFE_JUNCTION_v16_20-01-12.box 252

posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:04

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Hi,

Many thanks for your input. It's been most helpful and is much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dave

posted: 22 Jan 2012 13:10

David Yates

Walsall - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
Hi David.
You still have a lot of timber shoving to do. Attached you will find the 0.91c version of the diamond. I presume the turntable is the length of track that I have put the peg at the mid length position, it seems rather short. The track spacing of the junction makes it difficult to get the timbering exactly right but is as good as I can get. I have made some minor adjustments to achieve a better alignment of the timbers.
Tony.

Hi Tony,

Once again many thanks for your help in tweaking the track plan for me, your efforts are much appreciated. Once I've adjusted the timbers I shall start building track, which will be an entirely new adventure for me.

Regarding the turntable, it's a 50 foot one, which should comfortably handle the largest loco I intend to run.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Proposed Layout : Staircliffe Junction
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020