Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1731Templot Development Version (TDV)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Dec 2011 15:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

You might like to help me test and develop the next version of Templot (Templot2). :)

You get to use all the new features:

• create irregular diamond-crossing templates. This makes it much easier to design curved double-junctions, curviform ladder tracks crossing several running lines, and similar formations.

• use the new sketchboard drawing functions to create colourful layout plans.

• have native output to PDF files in large page sizes for roll-paper poster printing, and easy export of track plans in the new diagram mode.

• add platforms alongside your templates.

• adjust check rails by mouse action.

and lots more.
2_200847_520000000.png2_200847_520000000.png

Not everything is yet finished and fully working, which is where your help with testing comes in. 

Download the Templot Development Version (TDV) from:

topic 1500

Further instructions to get started are on there.

Many thanks for your help. Enjoy using TDV. :)

But do please remember that it is unfinished -- many of the links to the help notes do not yet go anywhere, and the old help notes in the Templot Companion are now very out of date.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Dec 2011 21:15

pearson john

Chester - United Kingdom

Martin,

I will be downloading the TDV version of Templot 2 the changes look exciting for a flat bottomed narrow guage On3 enthusiast...into 3 way stub points or perfect Y s ! :D

I have all but finished the garage full layout using 091c, will it be possible to import into Templot 2 ?

Regards

John Pearson

posted: 24 Dec 2011 21:26

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi John.
Yes. Later versions of Templot will always accept track plans from earlier versions. It does not though necessarily work the other way round.
Tony.

posted: 24 Dec 2011 21:30

Martin Wynne

pearson john wrote:
I have all but finished the garage full layout using 091c, will it be possible to import into Templot 2 ?
Hi John,

Yes, the file format is fully compatible with all previous versions.

But going back the other way is not recommended. Files from TDV and Templot2 will load into earlier versions, but some features may not display properly.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2012 01:33

Ted Moes

Alameda - California USA

where is the download link

posted: 24 Jan 2012 01:52

Martin Wynne

Ted Moes wrote:
Hi Ted,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

The TDV download file is attached at the bottom of this message:

topic 1500

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 16:43

Mark

STOURPORT - United Kingdom

Hello Martin & fellow Templot users.
How do I reinstall my Templot software onto my new PC.
Do I just now D/L the TDV and ingnore all references to the older version that I had?

I'll be doing just that shortly but will check back here incase I run into any problems.

Regards

Mark

posted: 26 Jan 2012 19:18

Ed Callaghan

Bury St. Edmunds - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Ted Moes wrote:
Hi Ted,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

The TDV download file is attached at the bottom of this message:

topic 1500

regards,

Martin.

Martin I'm really sorry and I'm sure I'm being stupid but I've downloaded this file and gone through setup accepting all the defaults four times but at the end when TDV is poised to start I just get a message: " this is not the latest update of TDV. Please visit T Club to download the latest TDV update". The link I'm using says it is TDV build  # 5053  19-January-2012.

Best regards and renewed thanks for your patience, Ed.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 20:00

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Ed

Before Martin replies, two questions:

1 - do you have an active internet connection when running TDV?

2 - by any chance, is your internet connection via O2?

Cheers

posted: 26 Jan 2012 20:27

Martin Wynne

Ed Callaghan wrote:
The link I'm using says it is TDV build  # 5053  19-January-2012.
Hi Ed,

Are you actually running #5053?

You should be seeing this:

2_261525_370000000.png2_261525_370000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 21:12

Ed Callaghan

Martin Wynne wrote:
Ed Callaghan wrote:
The link I'm using says it is TDV build  # 5053  19-January-2012.
Hi Ed,

Are you actually running #5053?

You should be seeing this:

[cut]

regards,

Martin.

Yes, that's exactly what I see, including the 5053. Indeed I can get straight to that point via a shortcut which the TDV installation has placed on my desktop. But as soon as I click "GO" I get the error message quoted in my post.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 21:14

Ed Callaghan

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hi Ed

Before Martin replies, two questions:

1 - do you have an active internet connection when running TDV?

2 - by any chance, is your internet connection via O2?

Cheers

1- yes, otherwise I woudn't be getting as far as that.

2- no, BT Internet.

Ed

posted: 26 Jan 2012 22:13

Martin Wynne

Hi Ed,

Thanks.

It's a bit of a mystery because to get that message you must have made a successful connection to the server. But for some reason the data received is incorrect.

Did previous TDV updates run ok? Which version of Windows? Or is it Linux/Wine/Crossover? Do you have any other means of connecting to the internet?

I'm baffled. There have now been nearly 300 downloads of #5053 presumably covering a wide range of internet connections around the world including other users on BT Internet. Yet as far as I know this is the only reported problem.

Anyone else on BT Internet? Anyone seeing the same problem?

Sorry I can't be more help, Ed. If it's a cache issue on the BT Internet servers, it should clear itself after a few hours or days.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jan 2012 23:36

Ed Callaghan

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Ed,

Thanks.

It's a bit of a mystery because to get that message you must have made a successful connection to the server. But for some reason the data received is incorrect.

Did previous TDV updates run ok? Which version of Windows? Or is it Linux/Wine/Crossover? Do you have any other means of connecting to the internet?

I'm baffled. There have now been nearly 300 downloads of #5053 presumably covering a wide range of internet connections around the world including other users on BT Internet. Yet as far as I know this is the only reported problem.

Anyone else on BT Internet? Anyone seeing the same problem?

Sorry I can't be more help, Ed. If it's a cache issue on the BT Internet servers, it should clear itself after a few hours or days.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin. In reply to your questions: my previous paid-for Templot 0.74.b ran fine, but this is my first attempt to install TDV. Windows XP Media Edition. Only at work, where installing programmes is prohibited!

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing TDV, and also saving the download and then running it from the desktop, but to no avail. I don't know if it helps but when I OK on the first error message I get a second: "This T version is out of date and will now quit. (The release version of T2 will not do this.)" When I OK on that I am taken to T2 Upgrade Holding Page - still under construction. I'll try again in a few days as you suggest. Fortunately I still have my paid-for Templot 0.74.b on another computer!

Regards, Ed

posted: 27 Jan 2012 00:15

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin/Ed,

I am on BT Internet so just downloaded the latest version again to check and it works fine for me using W7 32-bit.

Rob

posted: 27 Jan 2012 15:36

Nigel Brown

I've just downloaded TDV build 5053 to my PC running XP, with no problems.

Just a thought; TDV now loads on top of (replaces) an earlier version of TDV, by default. If there isn't an earlier version, could this cause a problem?

Nigel

posted: 27 Jan 2012 15:41

Mark

STOURPORT - United Kingdom

Ref my above post:^^^ New PC windows 7 down-loaded the TDV first time no problems all working.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 16:07

Martin Wynne

Nigel Brown wrote:
Just a thought; TDV now loads on top of (replaces) an earlier version of TDV, by default. If there isn't an earlier version, could this cause a problem?
Hi Nigel,

No, a previous version of Templot of any flavour makes no difference at all. :)

Although I refer to "installing" Templot (because there is no obvious other word to use) Templot doesn't in fact install itself on your computer in the Windows sense, and never has.

You can put it anywhere you like on your computer, and have as many different versions scattered about your computer as you wish. The only important thing is NOT to put it in a folder owned by Windows, such as C:\Program Files\, otherwise it won't work.

You could put it on a USB stick or an external drive, and now that TDV no longer requires a lock-release code, you could swap it around between any computer you wish (provided for TDV there is an internet connection available).

Everything is contained in a single C:\TEMPLOT\ folder*, so you would have all your .box files to hand and a working copy of Templot wherever you plug the USB stick.

*assuming you have used the default locations.

The only point to bear in mind if you adopt this approach is that you can't launch Templot by clicking on its files, because the Windows file associations may be linked to the wrong location or version. Clicking files to launch Templot is not a good idea anyway, because Templot doesn't use the Windows Document Model.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 19:43

Martin Wynne

Andrew S emailed:
I am not sure if I am particularly thick but I go to the Website to download the current version but every time I click on 'download' it redirects me to another page which does not do anything but redirect me back to the original page, so in short how the H**L do I manage to download it.

Please Andrew, there is a clear request in every Templot Club email to use the link provided to reply, and not to reply by email.

If you do that, all that happens is that it ends up in my inbox, and I just don't have time any more to deal with emails.

The answer to your question is:

2_271446_070000000.png2_271446_070000000.png

You will find that page at:

topic_1500&forum_id=18

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 20:10

Ed Callaghan

Martin Wynne wrote:

Although I refer to "installing" Templot (because there is no obvious other word to use) Templot doesn't in fact install itself on your computer in the Windows sense, and never has.

You can put it anywhere you like on your computer, and have as many different versions scattered about your computer as you wish. The only important thing is NOT to put it in a folder owned by Windows, such as C:\Program Files\, otherwise it won't work.

You could put it on a USB stick or an external drive, and now that TDV no longer requires a lock-release code, you could swap it around between any computer you wish (provided for TDV there is an internet connection available).

That's amazing Martin, I had no idea. Unfortunately it hasn't solved my problem because I've just "installed" TDV onto a memory stick but when I click the programme icon I get the same error messages. However that memory stick is in a USB slot on the same WinXP computer on which I have been unsuccessfully trying to "install" TDV. What I haven't yet tried is to "install" it on my other computer with Win7 because I feared it would overwrite the functional 0.74.b which I have there and I would end up with nothing at all. Are you saying that if I "install" TDV into a different folder on the Win7 computer and it still fails, it won't have overwritten my functional 0.74.b?

Ed

posted: 27 Jan 2012 20:23

Martin Wynne

Ed Callaghan wrote:
Are you saying that if I "install" TDV into a different folder on the Win7 computer and it still fails, it won't have overwritten my functional 0.74.b?
Hi Ed,

No it won't overwrite your existing Templot. Go ahead and try it. :)

The existing version has a yellow icon on the desktop. TDV has a temporary red icon.

By the way, if you are still using 074b you should at the very least upgrade to 091c, if you still can't get TDV to run.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 21:39

Ed Callaghan

Martin Wynne wrote:
Ed Callaghan wrote:
Are you saying that if I "install" TDV into a different folder on the Win7 computer and it still fails, it won't have overwritten my functional 0.74.b?
Hi Ed,

No it won't overwrite your existing Templot. Go ahead and try it. :)

The existing version has a yellow icon on the desktop. TDV has a temporary red icon.

By the way, if you are still using 074b you should at the very least upgrade to 091c, if you still can't get TDV to run.

regards,

Martin.

Thanks Martin.

I just put the memory stick in the Win7 computer and double-clicked the red icon and TDV ran. I quit TDV and started 074b from a yellow icon and it also ran. So I'll stick with the memory stick (haha!) and I'm OK.  :) Ed

posted: 27 Jan 2012 21:48

Martin Wynne

Ed Callaghan wrote:
I just put the memory stick in the Win7 computer and double-clicked the red icon and TDV ran. I quit TDV and started 074b from a yellow icon and it also ran. So I'll stick with the memory stick (haha!) and I'm OK.  :) Ed
Hi Ed,

Are you saying TDV now connects to the internet and runs ok?

Is this the same internet connection as the one which was giving problems yesterday?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Jan 2012 23:28

Nigel Brown

Martin Wynne wrote:
Nigel Brown wrote:
Hi Nigel,

No, a previous version of Templot of any flavour makes no difference at all. :)

Hi Martin

Just to explain. I install (not in a Windows sense) everything I can on my E: drive (partition). The development versions of Templot all go in E:\programs\TEMPLOT_DEV. To install a new version of the TDV, I copy the install program to that directory then run it. The latest versions of TDV offer me as default the directory E:\programs\TEMPLOT_DEV\TDV3143, with TDV #3143 being one of the earlier releases. I use it. So I presume that the TDV installer is clever enough to know where the current TDV is installed and offers to use that directory (a good idea because that's where my current box files etc. are). That's what I meant by "load on top".

I believe that at one time a new TDV, say build #1234, would have offered me a default directory based on the build number, i.e. E:\programs\TEMPLOT_DEV\TDV1234. I'm assuming that at some point you changed this so that installer attempts to use the current Templot directory as the default, probably starting with the release after #3143. Anyway, that's what it appears to me.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 28 Jan 2012 01:31

Martin Wynne

Nigel Brown wrote:
So I presume that the TDV installer is clever enough to know where the current TDV is installed and offers to use that directory (a good idea because that's where my current box files etc. are).
Hi Nigel,

Yes, the installer remembers where* you installed the previous update and offers that as the suggested location for the next update. But it is only a suggestion. If you change it to a different location, the previous update will remain unchanged, and both the previous and the latest updates will still work.

(For TDV the previous update will quit when it contacts the server and finds that it is not the latest one.)

*If you have since moved it or renamed the folder, the installer won't find it. It simply remembers where you installed it last time.

I believe that at one time a new TDV, say build #1234, would have offered me a default directory based on the build number, i.e. E:\programs\TEMPLOT_DEV\TDV1234\.
No, if you are seeing that you must have entered it yourself. :)

The only default set in the TDV installer is and has been C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Jan 2012 12:11

Nigel Brown

Martin Wynne wrote:

I believe that at one time a new TDV, say build #1234, would have offered me a default directory based on the build number, i.e. E:\programs\TEMPLOT_DEV\TDV1234\.
No, if you are seeing that you must have entered it yourself. :)
Hi Martin

I must have done. Possibly at that time I thought it a good idea to keep each TDV separate. Certainly now I reckon the opposite.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 28 Jan 2012 17:20

Ed Callaghan

Martin Wynne wrote:
Ed Callaghan wrote:
Hi Ed,

Are you saying TDV now connects to the internet and runs ok?

Is this the same internet connection as the one which was giving problems yesterday?

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin. Just to remind you, I have two computers, one WinXP and the other Win7. They share the same BT Broadband router, the Win7 connected wirelessly and the WinXP with a cable. Everything is fine on the Win7. Until you said it was OK I hadn't run TDV on it for fear of overwriting 074b and having nothing at all, but it now runs TDV from a Templot_DEV folder on the C drive and also from the memory stick, and as you said, they co-exist with 074b. But on the WinXP, TDV won't run from the folder on the C drive or from the (same) memory stick. Both computers have the same antivirus programme and I've liberalised all the settings on the WinXP and disabled the firewall. All I can think is there must be some problem with my WinXP computer. I can't see it has anything to do with TDV.

Best regards, Ed :thumb:

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot Development Version (TDV)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020