Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 174Sketchup
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Sep 2007 00:21

Cynric Williams

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have been playing with google sketchup for drawing building plans, combined with the export dxf in templot I'm hoping to make a virtual model before starting construction. Although this may see a long winded approach I find that the drawing process helps me anticipate any snags I may encounter later:)
The attachment shows the engine shed roughly placed on the trackplan. More experiments to follow after i have drawn the goods shed and station!
Attachment: attach_54_ashburton.jpg 342

posted: 25 Sep 2007 02:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Cynric,

Excellent! :)

Before exporting to DXF, you may want to untick generator settings > outline extension marks and then rebuild the background. This puts proper ends on the timbers in 3D.

You can change the timber thickness (to show just an inch above the ballast, perhaps) in real > timbering > timbering data... , but this is a template design change, and can only be made individually on the control template.

Other unwanted details can be omitted in the DXF dialog -- set the colour to none.

Off to play with Sketchup -- I didn't realise it had a DXF import.... :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Sep 2007 13:04

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

Have to say Sketchup is my favourite App, apart from Templot of course, and was with it pretty my much from day one.. was funny when the focus switched from Macs to PC when I guess they realised that they could make a lot more money from it.. and then being taken over by Google must have been there nirvana. But I too use it for mocking ideas up and it is so easy to use you dont need to learn the near vertical learning curve of CAD.

Regards
Tom

posted: 26 Sep 2007 18:12

Cynric Williams

its_all_downhill wrote:
But I too use it for mocking ideas up and it is so easy to use you dont need to learn the near vertical learning curve of CAD.

Regards
Tom
That's the great thing it's so easy to use, i found that importing templot plans and then viewing them in perspective really gives a feel for how the track flows aswell

posted: 27 Sep 2007 03:30

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

Cynric,

and adding abit of colour and shadows really adds effect, maybe the new area would be a good place to post artistic interpretations. The only problem I have is making hills.. so I have to build them up like steps.

Regards
Tom

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020