topic: 1745Templot2 - Terms of Use
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Dec 2011 12:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
These are the amended terms of use for Templot2.

TEMPLOT2  SOFTWARE   --   TERMS  OF  USE

Templot2 software is made available subject to the following terms:

1. Templot2 software is the result of thousands of hours of development work over many years. It is and remains the copyright intellectual property of Martin Wynne. Nothing in these terms of use changes that.

2. You may download and use the currently available version of Templot2 software on your own computer entirely free of charge.

3. You understand and agree that the Templot2 program will use your internet connection to confirm that you are using the latest version of Templot2 software. You understand and agree that use of out-of-date versions of Templot2 software is not permitted, and that you will obtain and use only the latest version.

4. You may not copy, publish, distribute, sell, hire out, lend, edit, modify, reverse engineer, disassemble, re-compile, re-format or do any other thing with Templot2 software other than use it as provided on your own computer.

5. Printed track templates, screen images, data files and all other material derived from Templot2 software contain design elements and data which are copyright Martin Wynne. You may not claim your own full copyright on such Templot2 material or assign the copyright to others and you agree not to do so. If you provide such material to others you may charge a fee for your work in preparing it, but you may not make a charge for the material itself or demand its return.

6. Templot2 software is a hobby program intended for modelmakers. Output from Templot2 software may not conform to the standards and regulatory requirements for full-size railway track and passenger-carrying miniature railways. Templot2 software is not intended to be used in the design of such track or for any other safety-critical application. Templot2 software must not be used on any computer which is in use for safety-critical or life-support functions.

7. Some functions within Templot2 software may cause the display screen to flicker and should not be used by persons susceptible to photo-hypnotic effects. Children using Templot2 software should be supervised.

8. Templot2 software and all associated data, information, documents, computer files and web pages are provided "as-is" without warranty of any kind, express or implied. Templot2 software is not warranted to perform in accordance with any published statements or information, or to remain available indefinitely.

9. In no event shall Martin Wynne be liable for any damages whatsoever arising from your use of Templot2 software or any
associated data, information, documents, computer files or web pages. By downloading, storing, saving, installing, running, executing or making any other use of Templot2 software you accept the entire risk and liability for any consequence of such use.

10. Where Templot2 software is made available for your use free of any charge or other consideration no contract of sale or supply shall exist for your use of Templot2 software.

11. You agree that in the event that you need help in using Templot2 software you will not contact Martin Wynne directly by letter, telephone, email, private message or any other means, and that you will use only the public web support facilities provided for users of Templot2 software.

12. By installing or making any use of Templot2 software you indicate that you have read, understand and agree all of these terms of use. If you do not agree these terms you may not install or use Templot2 software.

If anything is unclear, please ask.

© Copyright 2012 Martin Wynne. All rights reserved.

posted: 22 Dec 2011 13:24

PeterD

Waterlooville - United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing these Terms and Conditions Martin. I have read through them and understand your statements. I cannot think of any comments other than they seem fine to me.

posted: 22 Dec 2011 22:25

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin,

An addition maybe to the Terms of Use ?? -

10a ) It is expected that the majority of support questions relating to Templot2 will be answered by other users via the online forum. This forum is well supported and provides users of all skill levels with positive feedback on any problems encountered. There is a comprehensive 'Search' facility giving access to problems and solutions that others have found.

Re-worded in your own style of course....

Happy Christmas and all the best.
Rob

posted: 23 Dec 2011 10:36

asmay2002

Portsmouth - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
3. ...You understand and agree that use of out-of-date versions of Templot2 software is not permitted, and that you will obtain and use only the latest version.
Martin,

I think this condition may be a little ambitious. Even Micro$oft have failed to achieve this with Windows. Conventionally most suppliers will just say that the old version of the software is no longer supported.

ASM

posted: 23 Dec 2011 11:46

Martin Wynne

asmay2002 wrote:
3. ...You understand and agree that use of out-of-date versions of Templot2 software is not permitted, and that you will obtain and use only the latest version.
Martin,

I think this condition may be a little ambitious. Even Micro$oft have failed to achieve this with Windows. Conventionally most suppliers will just say that the old version of the software is no longer supported.
Hi Andy,

There are two reasons for this.

1. When answering questions on here it is ten times easier if I can assume that everyone is using the latest version. Otherwise two answers are often needed with a lot of ifs and buts confusing everyone. Simply asking the enquirer which version he is using isn't sufficient, because the reply will be read by many other users who may be using a different version.

2. If users go on using out-of-date versions, they are liable post replies on web forums and email groups, or write in magazine articles, statements that "Templot does this" or "Templot can't do that" which are either confusing or just plain wrong. I know it's the way of the world and I should simply accept it, but it has happened several times over the years and I always find it intensely irritating. When with a few seconds download they could have obtained a later and better version. I do see red when beginners are given wrong information -- it's not being fair to them.

I know it is all my own fault. I went on supplying 074b for years after it should have been killed off in favour of the later pugs, assuming that users would read my introductory letter and quickly upgrade to the latest version. Mostly they didn't. That's why doing so is now made part of the terms of use.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Dec 2011 12:28

Nigel Brown

Hi Martin

I wonder if condition 3 should be strengthened, viz:-

3. You agree that if a later version of Templot2 software than the version which you are using becomes available, you will obtain and use only the later version. Questions and other discussions on Templot Club will only be accepted if they relate to the latest version.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 23 Dec 2011 13:17

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

I thought that because Templot 2 has to phone home when it starts it would automatically check for the latest version and update itself. Am I wrong?

posted: 23 Dec 2011 14:03

Martin Wynne

Bruce A Wilson wrote:
I thought that because Templot 2 has to phone home when it starts it would automatically check for the latest version and update itself.
Hi Bruce,

It checks for a later version, but doesn't update itself. The user must download the update in the usual way.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Dec 2011 21:58

grahambeare

Martin Wynne wrote:
3. ... You understand and agree that use of out-of-date versions of Templot2 software is not permitted, and that you will obtain and use only the latest version.

How does this clause stand if "a later version" uses or requires a feature of a commercial operating system which is not installed on the computer upon which an user is running Templot?

Thank you, Graham Beare

posted: 23 Dec 2011 22:08

Martin Wynne

grahambeare wrote:
How does this clause stand if "a later version" uses or requires a feature of a commercial operating system which is not installed on the computer upon which an user is running Templot?
Hi Graham,

Templot runs under all versions of Windows. It also runs quite well under Wine on Mac/Linux systems. It doesn't work under any other operating system.

If someone is not happy with the terms of use obviously they wouldn't use the program.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 Dec 2011 18:49

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
Would it not be helpful if users of Templot were advised to ensure Templot was fully updated before seeking assistance.It works that way with the Linux distribution I use and renders many questions unnecessary.It also ensures all help is in relation to the latest releases.
Trevor

Templot Club > Forums > Development doings - archive > Templot2 - Terms of Use
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020