author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Sep 2007 12:34

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

Can anyone in the know answer this -- is it possible to differentiate between a recorded CD and a pressed CD by X-ray?

I ask because yet again a Templot CD sent overseas by airmail has failed to arrive after several weeks. I can only imagine that computer CDs fall into a security black hole somewhere. :( Obviously vast numbers of CDs are sent through the post, so I'm wondering if the fact that the Templot CD is recorded is the problem (whereas mass-produced CDs are pressed).

I'm so fed up with this happening time and again that I am minded to discontinue supplying CDs entirely. The vast majority of users now download the program -- most folks are now on broadband and it takes only a few seconds. Even on slow dial-up it takes less than 5 minutes.

Another question -- if I adopted a USB memory stick instead of a CD as the delivery method (such memory sticks are now inexpensive), would it, and the stored data, survive airmail security checks?

Looking at many software suppliers it seems that download is now the only method of supply -- even where an imaginary boxed product is shown on the web site.

Comments welcome -- if you have a Templot CD, how often do you use it?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 14:10

Richard Spencer

Rossendale - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I have had similar problems sending CD's and DVD's to europe and had little luck, about three out ten.  I regularly travel abroad with my laptop and have several USB sticks and have had no problems going through airport scanners and have even forwarded them to and  fro with data and photo's. Hope this info is of help to you

Regards

Richard
Martin Wynne wrote:
Dear all,

Can anyone in the know answer this -- is it possible to differentiate between a recorded CD and a pressed CD by X-ray?

I ask because yet again a Templot CD sent overseas by airmail has failed to arrive after several weeks. I can only imagine that computer CDs fall into a security black hole somewhere. :( Obviously vast numbers of CDs are sent through the post, so I'm wondering if the fact that the Templot CD is recorded is the problem (whereas mass-produced CDs are pressed).

I'm so fed up with this happening time and again that I am minded to discontinue supplying CDs entirely. The vast majority of users now download the program -- most folks are now on broadband and it takes only a few seconds. Even on slow dial-up it takes less than 5 minutes.

Another question -- if I adopted a USB memory stick instead of a CD as the delivery method (such memory sticks are now inexpensive), would it, and the stored data, survive airmail security checks?

Looking at many software suppliers it seems that download is now the only method of supply -- even where an imaginary boxed product is shown on the web site.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 15:14

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

CD?  Yeah, I think I've got one of those somewhere.  Haven't seen it for years :)

To be honest, I can't really see why the product shouldn't be download only.  As you say, it's not massive even on dial-up.  CDs are just more clutter!

If Templot was going to continue selling on a CD, then it probably ought to have a complete and up-to-date version of the website help pages so that those on dial-up (who perhaps are most likely to want a CD) can have ready access to this material. :cool:

posted: 25 Sep 2007 16:44

donald peters

United Kingdom

My Templot installation is on a different computer than that used for my Web
connection because of historic problems from virus attack. Because my Web
computer has no CD write capability all data has to be transferred by floppy.
Pugs are now too large for this means so the only choice is a CD. Only
downloading of data is a no-no.

Regards all,
Donald Peters

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:17

Richard Spencer

Hi Donald

Re Templot on a different computer, maybe you should consider a USB stick there cheap and easy to use "plug and play"  allowing you to download on one computer, I presume you have anti virus on your "Net computer" most anti virus software checks before writing to a device and then transfer the data onto your Templot computer hope this info maybe of use to you        

Regards

Richard

donald peters wrote:

Regards all,
Donald Peters

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:38

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,
If Templot was going to continue selling on a CD, then it probably ought to have a complete and up-to-date version of the website help pages so that those on dial-up (who perhaps are most likely to want a CD) can have ready access to this material. :cool:
It does have.

I have accumulated over the years a large stock of CDs which were recorded and then scrapped because of a subsequent update to the web site. :(

I know there are some users who like to have a CD for this reason, so that they can have the web site on a laptop while travelling or away from home. However, there are many programs which can create a local copy of an entire web site, so it's possible to make your own Templot "CD" on file.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:41

Roger Henry

Brisbane - Australia

The answer is yes but if anyone told you that you would probably have to sign the Official Secrets Act:-) As the program on your DVD is 'locked' it is probably driving someone in a basement, somewhere, nuts trying to 'unlock' it.  I suspect that the USB 'sticks' ,  if sent through the Post, would meet the same fate. That not all your DVDs are disappeared is also probably instructive. Such are the troubled times we live in.

Maybe downloads will be the only way to send; for now :-(

Roger,

Brisbane

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:42

Capt. John Piestley

Davao City - Philippines

Martin,

As I live in remote part of the world re that stuff is concerned I rely entirely on internet download. Therefore the answer to your question I have never had need to use a Templot CD.

Original download was good and I have had no problems even transferring to new computers.

Best Regards John P.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:46

Peter Drury

Portsmouth - United Kingdom

Martin,

I can honestly say that I only used the CD once - when I first set up Templot in 2003. Since then, I have changed computers twice and used the download facility each time.

As far as I am concerned, it is not worthwhile having CDs that are out of date due to the changes made to the program over time. You are right about download times etc. When people purchase programs they want instant access and not have to wait for it to drop on their mats.

Just some thoughts - hope it helps.

Kind regards

Peter D

posted: 25 Sep 2007 17:52

Templot User

Posted By Email

----- from Chris Batchelor -----

Hi Martin

I have a Templot CD which I purchased from you in 2000. The only time I use it is when the computer goes kaput and I have to re-install it. Since this is usually on a new computer (twice since 2000) I have to obtain a new release code so downloading the programme would not inconvenience me a lot.

Cheers

Chris

posted: 25 Sep 2007 18:09

Martin Wynne

Richard Spencer wrote:
I have had similar problems sending CD's and DVD's to Europe and had little luck, about three out ten.
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for that -- I was beginning to think it was just me. Paranoia is never far away! :)

Martin.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 18:43

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin Wynne wrote:
Dear all,

snipped...

snipped.......

regards,

Martin.

Martin:

I have has several CDs sent to me from the far side of the pond that were burned on a computer with no difficulties at all.  Your situation seems to be somewhat strange.

I downloaded the program and have made backup CD copies which are hiding somewhere in my computer desk.  That gives you an idea of how many times I use it.

I see no reason why download only is not the way to go.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario

posted: 25 Sep 2007 18:46

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

donald peters wrote:

Regards all,
Donald Peters

Donald,

If you've got Winzip on both computers,  use the Winzip facility to span across several floppies to transfer an application larger than 1.4M.

Jim.

posted: 25 Sep 2007 19:23

Peter_Hirons

Ireland

USB memory sticks are relatively cheap these days and make an easy way of transferring files from one machine to another.

Peter
donald peters wrote:

Regards all,
Donald Peters

posted: 25 Sep 2007 20:51

JohnM

Knaresborough - United Kingdom

Martin,

There may still be would-be Templot buyers who do not have access to the web. When I first started I bought the CD, after loading rarely used it.

regards,

John M

posted: 26 Sep 2007 03:40

Prem Holdaway

London - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I think the best idea is to put the CD or the contents of the CD as downloadable. This should allow the user to make his own CD for future use.

If you still wish to send out CD's you could restrict those to your own countries users.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Prem Holdaway

posted: 26 Sep 2007 03:52

donald peters

United Kingdom

Thanks for everyone's help. All seem to rely on the use of USB connectability. Unfortunately, my Templot machine does not enjoy that luxury.

Grateful for usual templotter help from all.

Regards,
Donald

posted: 26 Sep 2007 03:55

donald peters

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Donald,

If you've got Winzip on both computers,  use the Winzip facility to span across several floppies to transfer an application larger than 1.4M.

Jim.
Jim,

That is a great idea because it might just be possible for a dyslexic operator like me to understand and get it to happen.

Again, thanks to all,

Regards,
Donald

posted: 28 Sep 2007 04:52

Elliott Cowton

Fareham - United Kingdom

Richard,

That's not strictly speaking true...

I have a WIN98SE machine that is still man enough for any job I throw at it including CAD and graphics work, but the one thing WIN98SE does not do is to accept plug & play memory sticks.  I have had to settle on one make (DISGO) for all the family's needs (mostly backup and school work), and then load the drivers for that particular stick type. 

I did once plug another brand of stick into it. Net result: One rotted up camera connection that eventually had to be resolved by an OS reload:(, hence the comment - they are not always plug and play.

Regards

Elliott

Richard Spencer wrote:
maybe you should consider a USB stick they are easy to use "plug and play" 

posted: 28 Sep 2007 05:51

Richard Spencer

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your feedback, perhaps I overlooked evolution from windows 98SE to XP as operating systems and computers evolve, I suppose you tend to forget the older technology no pun intended, I upgraded my computer as the win98 was not able to run the more up to date software for video editing. It is quite easily to lose track of modern advancements and I suppose you forget the old and try to encompass the newer technology which marches ever onward.

Thank you for your input

Best wishes

Richard

That's not strictly speaking true...

I have a WIN98SE machine that is still man enough for any job I throw at it including CAD and graphics work, but the one thing WIN98SE does not do is to accept plug & play memory sticks.  I have had to settle on one make (DISGO) for all the family's needs (mostly backup and school work), and then load the drivers for that particular stick type. 

I did once plug another brand of stick into it. Net result: One rotted up camera connection that eventually had to be resolved by an OS reload:(, hence the comment - they are not always plug and play.

Regards

Elliott

Richard Spencer wrote:

maybe you should consider a USB stick they are easy to use "plug and play" 

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Templot CD gone missing AGAIN
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020