author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Jan 2012 00:06

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin,

Still no joy on either my laptop or PC with the current TDV build. It downloads from the site ok but I'm still getting an error box stating that this is not the current version and clicking OK, just shuts Templot TDV down. The only other message I can get relates to not being able to check the current version and to check internet connection or go online, even when I am.

Frustratedly

Ian

posted: 2 Jan 2012 04:02

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Ian,

Did the previous TDV builds work ok on the same computer(s)?

Are you quite sure you are running 4703 and not an earlier build:

2_012259_050000000.png2_012259_050000000.png

Are both computers using the same broadband router? Do the computers and router belong to you?

The most likely explanation is a firewall setting blocking TDV from accessing the internet. If the equipment is your own property you should be able to change the settings. If employer-provided, maybe not. Clearly your ISP is not blocking the Templot web site, or you would not be able to download the program.

Anyone else seeing the same problem? There have been nearly 300 downloads of # 4703 and this is the only report of any problems.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Jan 2012 23:41

Ian Allen

Hi Martin,

Both the PC and laptop are my own and build #4505 ran perfectly on the PC, it wasn't loaded onto the laptop.

Downloading the program to either PC or laptop is via my O2 wi-fi USB, the same as when I updated to Templot 0.91 and TDV #4505. Nothing has changed in respect of firewall settings on either machine.

I think a fair few of the 300 downloads have been my attempts to re-download.

I've just switched all Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Pro-active Threat and Network Threat Protection off on my laptop to see if I have any success with another download.

Regards

Ian

posted: 2 Jan 2012 23:59

Ian Allen

No success there either. I've even placed Templot TDV into the list of programs allowed to communicate through Windows Firewall.

File Version: 0.96.1.4704
Product Name: Templot2 Development Version 0.96a
Product Version: 0.96a

Windows 7 on my laptop, Windows Vista on the PC.

Regards

Ian

posted: 3 Jan 2012 01:19

Martin Wynne

Ian Allen wrote:
Downloading the program to either PC or laptop is via my O2 wi-fi USB, the same as when I updated to Templot 0.91 and TDV #4505. Nothing has changed in respect of firewall settings on either machine.
Hi Ian,

Nothing has changed between #4505 and #4703 in the way they access the internet, so I'm at a loss to explain this.

Anyone else seeing this? Anyone else using O2?

Can you try a different ISP? Or do you still have an old dial-up modem? If so you could try connecting via:

Phone number:  0845 079 8131

User Name:  namesco

Password:  easydial

It will cost only the cost of a local phone call.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Jan 2012 12:05

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

I know it might sound daft but are you sure the computer shortcut is really looking at the right exe. Could there be a problem with the dates or something silly like that? 4703 works on both XP and Vista for me here in France.

posted: 3 Jan 2012 13:18

Nigel Brown

Another possibility. I believe 4703 loads itself on top of an earlier version, by default. Is it possible that it's been saved somewhere else and that makes a difference?

posted: 3 Jan 2012 17:48

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin, Ian

You asked:
Anyone else using O2?
No, but I think we may have found the answer.  I occasionally use an O2 dongle to access the internet when away from home, and the number of sites O2 block is unbelievable - and these are perfectly normal sites.  Several times I've had to ask O2 to unblock a specific site, and I would hazard a guess that O2 are blocking Ian's access to your server, although that doesn't explain why the download was possible - is the download and Templot's "phone home" off the same server?  It may also be related to the fact that the download was via a normal browser, and the version checking isn't?

It would be really interesting to know if anyone else uses O2 when running TDV, I think.

Hope this helps.

posted: 4 Jan 2012 01:33

Ian Allen

Doesn't explain why I had no problem downloading build #4505 though.

Ian

posted: 4 Jan 2012 03:32

Martin Wynne

Ian Allen wrote:
Doesn't explain why I had no problem downloading build #4505 though.
Hi Ian,

That's why I'm mystified and can offer no solution, sorry.

I'm hoping to have a TDV update available in the next few days, so it will be interesting to see if this makes any difference.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Jan 2012 08:51

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Just noting Paul's suggestions about server blocking, and I would just add that another problem might be a firewall blocking access to the TDV. I've had occasional problems with ZoneAlarm over the years when I hadn't adjusted the setting to allow access from applications.

Jim.

posted: 4 Jan 2012 16:09

Ian Allen

OK, latest update. I've popped into the office to access the broadband and managed to get build#4703 up and running, however it did take a while and it did lock up (gave it a thump via Task Manager). Haven't changed any Firewall settings, so I'll be on to O2 later to explain the problem to them and see if they can shine any light on the issue.

I'll keep you abreast of the situation chaps.

Ian

posted: 5 Jan 2012 17:34

Ian Allen

Martin,

Spoke to an O2 tech earlier and he mentioned that the problem I am experiencing may be related to the DNS settings for the site. If it is Open DNS then O2 will reject it in case of it being a possible threat. The chap at O2 said if you can provide me with the DNS settings they can check it from their end.

Ian

posted: 5 Jan 2012 18:28

Martin Wynne

Hi Ian,

It's not OpenDNS.

The nameservers for templot.com are:

NS0.PHASE8.NET
NS1.PHASE8.NET

If there is a problem with O2 you would not be able to access the Templot web site -- can you see  http://www.templot.com in your browser?

The TDV download is from a different server -- from this Templot Club site at http://85a.co.uk/forum

You can obviously see that server as you can post messages here.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Jan 2012 00:20

Ian Allen

Hi Martin,

Yes I can access both sites without any problems.

I've just changed the preferences in O2 Connection Manager to ignore all imcompatible applications, to no avail unfortunately.

I can only access t'interweb via my O2 dongle as I have no landline.

Regards

Ian

posted: 6 Jan 2012 00:25

Ian Allen

Nigel Brown wrote:
Another possibility. I believe 4703 loads itself on top of an earlier version, by default. Is it possible that it's been saved somewhere else and that makes a difference?

Nigel,

I don't know if that is the case, but I downloaded TDV Build #4505 without having any earlier versions and had no issues with that version.

Ian

posted: 6 Jan 2012 09:15

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Faulty Dongle (receives OK but has a problem in sending?)I think.

posted: 6 Jan 2012 18:01

Paul Boyd

OK.  TDV works fine on my desktop PC.  I disconnected it from my network and confirmed that TDV would not now run (as it couldn't phone home).  I then installed and configured my O2 3G dongle and got a good internet connection.  I could access 85a.co.uk and http://www.templot.com with no problems.  Running TDV then failed with the "Not the latest version" error then Quit.  I then disconnected from O2 then reconnected to broadband (PlusNet), and TDV 4703 now ran successfully.  To my mind, it's pretty conclusive that O2 is blocking something, but what is a mystery.  It's also a mystery as to why 4505 apparently worked OK.

What protocol is TDV using to check for the latest version?  It may be that http is fine, but O2 don't like ftp, or something along those lines.  I'm not even going to pretend that I know much more than that about different protocols!

Hope this helps - it just cost me £2.04 :? At least I've been able to reproduce Ian's problem.

posted: 6 Jan 2012 20:33

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Hope this helps - it just cost me £2.04 :? At least I've been able to reproduce Ian's problem.
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for taking the trouble to do that. Let me know your PayPal email and I will refund you. :)

We now know that the problem is related to O2 or wireless dongles in general, and not Ian's computer. But I'm none the wiser about the cause. :?

Hi Ian,

I have re-enabled #4505 on the server and I've attached the download file again below. If this still works for you, you will at least have a working copy of TDV. Note that this version requires a TDV lock-release code. Let me know if you need your code again.

However, I suspect that it won't work. The code is identical in #4703 so I can only assume that something has changed at O2 in the meantime.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_1303_1760_templot_tdv_4505_setup.exe 327

posted: 6 Jan 2012 21:00

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Let me know your PayPal email and I will refund you.
Thanks - I won't lose sleep over a couple of quid though as I've had more than my money's worth out of Templot over the last decade or so! :D

Could you please let me know my lock release code again for TDV - I've lost it!  Do you need my CIRN or do you have a record?  I've just installed 4505 again (in a separate folder) so I'd like to give it a go with the O2 dongle to see if I get the same results as Ian.

Cheers

posted: 6 Jan 2012 21:27

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help. Email with code sent. :)

However, unless you have deleted it the code will still be in the TEMPLOT_DEV folder and #4505 will find it there anyway -- click the from file button and navigate to TEMPLOT_DEV.

regards,

Martin.
Last edited on 6 Jan 2012 21:28 by Martin Wynne
posted: 6 Jan 2012 22:03

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

The lock code email didn't arrive...  My forum account address works so try that one (not sure which one you have, although any within the last few years should still work).

I had a bit of a tidy up, so no longer have the old Templot_Dev code - didn't think I'd need it again :D

Cheers

posted: 6 Jan 2012 22:06

Ian Allen

Martin/Paul,

Thanks chaps. At least we now know that there isn't an issue with TDV #4703 and Windows OS, or any Firewall settings.

I'll check build #4505 again on my main PC, I still have the lock release code Martin.

If I have no joy with that now, I will contact O2 again.

Regards

Ian

posted: 6 Jan 2012 22:47

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
The lock code email didn't arrive...
Hi Paul,

Email sent again to your address on Templot Club, and also PM sent.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Jan 2012 12:36

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

Got the code now - thanks.

Guess what?  4505 runs fine when connected through my O2 dongle, but 4703 fails and quits, which is exactly what Ian reported.  The mystery deepens...  Occasionally, 4505 also fails but always seems to be OK next time I try, although that may just be down the the poor 3G connection.

There is something odd going on with O2's awful Connection Manager program - at one point that popped up muttering something about Static IP, and whilst that message was there, neither version of Templot could connect.  Once I gave it the 3-fingered salute (it crashed!), it reverted to 4505 being OK and 4703 failing.  I'm actually connected through the normal Windows 7 network stuff, so Connection Manager shouldn't have been running, and checking Task Manager shows that it isn't running now - it doesn't seem to work properly on Windows 7.

I've also specifically allowed both versions of TDV through the Windows 7 firewall for both public and private and that doesn't make any difference.

I posted this message whilst connected through O2, so there's obviously no problem there.

Not sure what to try next - it does seem as if there's some difference in the way the two versions of Templot are checking for latest version, but something so subtle that it only appears to break when connected through O2.

Edit:- I've just uninstalled O2's Connection Manager so I'm now just using the standard Windows 7 connection - no difference, so it isn't Connection Manager breaking things.
Last edited on 7 Jan 2012 12:50 by Paul Boyd
posted: 7 Jan 2012 18:16

Ian Allen

Martin/Paul, I now have Build 4505 up and running now too through my O2 dongle. There are known issues with Connection Manager dependent upon which series O2 dongle you have. Mine is the E160 which currently has no software update. However it usually connects via HSDPA rather than 3G as it is a faster connection. Limited Wi-Fi Hotspot access in this part of Milton Keynes unfortunately.

Will see if I can access Build 4703 now.

Fingers crossed.

Ian  

Update: Computer says no :(
Last edited on 7 Jan 2012 18:29 by Ian Allen
posted: 7 Jan 2012 21:06

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul, Ian,

Many thanks for the detailed reports.

I'm mystified. There have been over 350 downloads of build # 4703 from all over the world using dozens of different internet connections. And as far as I know this O2 connection is the only one where a problem has been reported.

Furthermore, the program code and connection protocol is identical in 4505 and 4703. :?

The only explanation I can think of is that O2 are doing some sort of optimization/compression on the transmitted data to conserve wireless bandwidth, and this is affecting the specific data for 4703 in a way which didn't affect the data for the other builds.

For the next TDV update I'm going to experiment with formatting the data slightly differently, and see if this makes any difference.

In the longer term it won't matter because Templot2 when released will not be contacting the server except under user control. I would have liked to continue the start-up check to be sure that everyone is using the latest version, but I can see that problems like this are going to crop up from time to time and cause a support nightmare.

Thanks again for reporting your findings.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Development doings - archive > Not Running Build 4703
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020