Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1780Calibration print too faint to be measured.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Jan 2012 20:49

Debs.

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello everybody,
Some of you may know me from the RM-web forum. :thumb:

I`ve been waiting for V2 to be finalised and released (and to donate); but in the interim I`ve downloaded TDV (#4703).....I have been learning the ropes and enjoying the superb features, but have run into what feels like a 'silly' problem.

I have an HP PSC 1400 (USB) 'all in one' scanner/printer (which is known good), ink levels ok, and it prints perfectly well (with dense blacks and rich colours) when using other programmes on my computer.......but, not with Templot it seems!

I`ve set the printer to 'best' 'highest dpi' and followed the Templot instructions on setting-up and calibrating the printer: the printing, measuring and proofing process.
The problem is, that the framed-page to measure (which has the loco in the middle), only has one or two very-very-faint lines forming part of the frame (normally just two of the adjacent frame sides), and the other two are not sufficiently visible enough to measure and calibrate. :?

I`ve done the obvious things to try: 'nozzle cleaning' prints, checked for correct drivers and even a printer re-installation...but the Templot prints are all faint, whereas printing something from e.g 'M.S Word' renders prints in dark grey/black/deep-colours as expected.

The loco in the calibration page`s centre seems to render in very-very-light grey and I (thought) I saw mention of a supposed page-grid too....if so, that`s not there at all........am I having a 'blonde' moment, or have I missed something in the settings?

posted: 12 Jan 2012 21:15

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Debs. wrote:
I`ve set the printer to 'best' 'highest dpi' and followed the Templot instructions on setting-up and calibrating the printer: the printing, measuring and proofing process.
The problem is, that the framed-page to measure (which has the loco in the middle), only has one or two very-very-faint lines forming part of the frame (normally just two of the adjacent frame sides), and the other two are not sufficiently visible enough to measure and calibrate. :?
Hi Debs,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I think you must have the printer set to photo resolution, which is too high for printing track templates.

Change "best highest dpi" to something lower, probably called "ordinary" or "normal" or "text" or "graphics" or some such. About 600dpi gives the best results from Templot, and 300dpi is perfectly adequate for track templates. Even the "draft/economy" setting may give usable results and save on ink.

Make sure also that any page scaling is set to "none" or 100%, and is not set to "fit to paper" or any other "fit" option.

Many beginners settle for using the printer uncalibrated while learning Templot, to avoid getting bogged down in the calibration process too soon. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Jan 2012 21:29

Debs.

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Debs. wrote:
Hi Debs,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

I think you must have the printer set to photo resolution, which is too high for printing track templates.

Change "best highest dpi" to something lower, probably called "ordinary" or "normal" or "text" or "graphics" or some such. About 600dpi gives the best results from Templot, and 300dpi is perfectly adequate for track templates. Even the "draft/economy" setting may give usable results and save on ink.

Make sure also that any page scaling is set to "none" or 100%, and is not set to "fit to paper" or any other "fit" option.

Many beginners settle for using the printer uncalibrated while learning Templot, to avoid getting bogged down in the calibration process too soon. :)

regards,

Martin.
Thankyou Martin......I`ll have fiddle with the printer settings tomorrow and report back with results.

Having struggled to be able to measure and enter any valid figures from the calibration print; I simply entered the base figures (IIRC: 180, 240) that you`d mentioned.....a subsequent test print of a plain track panel (known dims.), proved the print width to be spot-on but the length is off; so I will surely need to calibrate at some point.

Kindest,
Debs.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Calibration print too faint to be measured.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020