topic: 1782TDV vs 0.91c with Plotter
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Jan 2012 15:22

John Walker

Reading - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have occasional access to an HP Designjet 755cm plotter. I am using the HP driver from here on Windows XP 32 bit SP3 :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=12666&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25252&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=228

I installed HP DesignJet 755CM(C3198B)by HP. It is version 4.65.

In Templot I set banner printing with 36in wide roll and height of 144in. 

When I print with 0.91c I get to choose which pages to print. However TDV 0.96a does not give me that choice (on a different PC but still XP 32 bit SP3).

Am I misunderstanding something or is there a problem here?

This behaviour was observed last time I was connected to the plotter. I am currently looking at the problem while disconnected

posted: 13 Jan 2012 17:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

John Walker wrote:

When I print with 0.91c I get to choose which pages to print. However TDV 0.96a does not give me that choice (on a different PC but still XP 32 bit SP3).
Hi John,

What are you actually seeing in TDV which is different from 091c? I'm not aware of any reason for a difference.

If you are using the banner printing option you don't need to set such a long page as 144in. You can set something more modest such as 24in length for each page. The banner printing option causes Templot to print each page one after another without any trim margins or spaces between them. It works only if the printer itself has a corresponding banner printing setting to suppress the form feed between each page.

Alternatively if you set a page length of 144in, you should probably be printing each page normally, not using the banner printing option. How big is the layout?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Jan 2012 19:36

John Walker

Reading - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
John Walker wrote:

Hi John,

What are you actually seeing in TDV which is different from 091c? I'm not aware of any reason for a difference.

If you are using the banner printing option you don't need to set such a long page as 144in. You can set something more modest such as 24in length for each page. The banner printing option causes Templot to print each page one after another without any trim margins or spaces between them. It works only if the printer itself has a corresponding banner printing setting to suppress the form feed between each page.

Alternatively if you set a page length of 144in, you should probably be printing each page normally, not using the banner printing option. How big is the layout?

regards,

Martin.

Hello Martin, thanks for that. I had not appreciated what the banner option actually does. My track plan is for O gauge and is 8 metres long. 144 inches just happened to be what I chose in my testing.

All sorts of odd things happened when I printed the whole lot on one page. Lots of timbers were completely missing although the rails were there and the timber numbering mostly came out as solid black rectangles. Is that likely to be due to a memory overflow somewhere for the single page, possibly in the plotter? I haven't got round to pursuing that because I don't have the plotter here now to play with. There is an option in the driver to use PC memory if the printer does not have enough. Also I guess breaking it into smaller pages would reduce the memory required.

I have only just noticed that "print background template " appears in both the output menu and print now! Moreover the output version is behaving as I expected. It is the print now version that doesn't give me the window ending in cancel all pages and print all remaining pages to choose which pages to print. I guess that explains my problem. Should have noticed it. Sorry about that.

Regards

John Walker

posted: 13 Jan 2012 19:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

John Walker wrote:
All sorts of odd things happened when I printed the whole lot on one page. Lots of timbers were completely missing although the rails were there and the timber numbering mostly came out as solid black rectangles.
Hi John,

I think this must be a driver problem. Gordon S also has a printer which omits random rails and timbers, seemingly without rhyme or reason. Trying the same thing on a different printer worked perfectly.

Printing smaller/fewer pages in one go may not cure it but can only help.

Most printing problems can be cured by using a lower print resolution. Some printers now come with absurdly high quoted dpi figures intended for photo printing. For track templates 300dpi or 600dpi is plenty.

I have only just noticed that "print background template " appears in both the output menu and print now! Moreover the output version is behaving as I expected. It is the print now version that doesn't give me the window ending in cancel all pages and print all remaining pages to choose which pages to print.
The print now! functions are intended to bypass all the printer set-up options and simply start printing as soon as you press Go. This is in response to several complaints by users that it takes a fortnight to work your way through all printer set-up dialogs, when all you want to do is print out a template.

I know that whatever I do, I can't win. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > TDV vs 0.91c with Plotter
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020